Rumor or not....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering about the rumor that the DAT has gotten a lot harder this year... is this true?? I have heard that very few people are making high scores this year. (this could be good news for people that have already taken the DAT...but bad news for people that have not...)
But does anyone know if its true or not?? does anyone know someone that has just recently took the DAT and made 20+ across the board??
I hope the DAT got harder....that way my 21AA/22TS/18PAT can actually be competitive this year! :D

Members don't see this ad.

i have heard this to be true...that it has gotten harder. three of my friends that have taken the dat the past three years have also told me the same thing. good luck to everyone taking it this year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
GREAT!! do you know anyone that has taken the DAT last year and have also taken it again this year? how does that compare?? (I took mine last year..) thanks
I am thinking about retaking the DAT again..but I will NOT if it has gotten ALOT harder...lol..

i have heard this to be true...that it has gotten harder. three of my friends that have taken the dat the past three years have also told me the same thing. good luck to everyone taking it this year!!

haha..Do you know anyone that has taken the DAT this year and what their results are like and did any of them comment about the level of diffcultiy compare to recent years...thats what I was asking. :)

The DAT is exactly 18.7% harder this year then it was last year

I just got my scores back and I must say that I have to re-do it... I am not satisfied!

I studied for about a month, and yes I found it quite a bit harder than all material that I studied from: TopScore, Kaplan, DATarchiever(sp?)

haha..Do you know anyone that has taken the DAT this year and what their results are like and did any of them comment about the level of diffcultiy compare to recent years...thats what I was asking. :)

Does it really matter? Asking someone who has taken the test once if it was harder than last years would be pointless, and due to variations between the individual tests, someone who has taken it twice is just as unreliable a source.

The only way to know would be with lots of non-anecdotal data.

GREAT!! do you know anyone that has taken the DAT last year and have also taken it again this year? how does that compare?? (I took mine last year..) thanks
I am thinking about retaking the DAT again..but I will NOT if it has gotten ALOT harder...lol..

don't get too excited...they may or may not take into account when you took the exam. atleast...it would make sense of them too.

if anyone is that worried about it getting harder...then just prepare for it as if it has gotten much more difficult. It can only help your chances of a solid score. So lets just say YES...it has gotten harder. Solution? HARD WORK...end of story.

I was actually HOPEING it has gotten a lot harder...I have already taken the DAT and got 21AA/22TS...but have to reapply again...however the harder the DAT the less 25AA out there to compete with me this year... :laugh:

yes it has gotten very very hard.
Be afraid, Be very very afraiddddd :scared: :scared: :scared:

yes good for you.:thumbup: I'm sure you will get into harvard this year.

I was actually HOPEING it has gotten a lot harder...I have already taken the DAT and got 21AA/22TS...but have to reapply again...however the harder the DAT the less 25AA out there to compete with me this year... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, I don't know what your stats are like or what schools you will be attending this fall..and I don't care....
But the point is..there are acutally people on this forum that are really seriously worried about their ability to get accepted into dental school. So if you don't have any usful information please don't come here to put me or anyone else down.

yes good for you.:thumbup: I'm sure you will get into harvard this year.

Hey thanks for asking. I applied to Harvard, UNC, VCU, Alablama and Meharry last year and didn't have any luck. If you check out predent you can see that a 21AA is actually not that competive for last year, so hopfully they have scale the DAT accordingly this year to make up for it...

wat schools did u apply to?

Look, I don't know what your stats are like or what schools you will be attending this fall..and I don't care....
But the point is..there are acutally people on this forum that are really seriously worried about their ability to get accepted into dental school. So if you don't have any usful information please don't come here to put me or anyone else down.

define: hypocrite

I understand that that DAT is a standardized test that has to evolve with with time, but doesn't it put a disadvantage in those who have yet to take the DAT in comparison to those who have already taken it? In my opinion it does. If the past post about the DAT being about a rounded up of 20% harder, I think dental schools should somehow be informed of when the pooled questions for the test were somewhat increased in difficulty, because I doubt they do. A person who takes the DAT now and gets a 22AA, should be given preference to a person who got a 22AA a 6 months to a year before (assuming they are equivalences being compared for an admissions spot). Just another reason the DAT should not be considered a equalizer, because so many factors come to play a role in a person's final AA, such as the range of difficulty presented to a test taker from the pooled questions (which is a random process) in comparison to another test taker, or timing by which the pooled questions are changed in difficulty level. For a process to be standardized, it cannot be presented as a random mechanism. A random mechanism statistically gives a better picture of the range in a given population, in this case range of scores amongst overall test takers, but the point here is not to research the distribution of scores, but rather find a way to lessen the variance from test taker to test taker. I don't know how this can be done, or if it is possible, which is why calling a standaridized test an equalizer is a major problem. I know the DAT is a vital component of the admissions process and is a time tested process by which to choose amongst the best of applicants. So why change it, eh? But I think we need to stop calling it an equlaizer. My two cents. :love:

I am guessing you can't read...:confused: I asked if the DAT has gotten any harder, how is that putting people down??? please learn how to read. thank you.

wow, good one

and don't even get me started on your spelling

wow... LOL you got some nerve. First of all if you read my post carefully I never said anything bad even to the extent that it implied anything demeaning. You already had a preconceived notion in your mind of what my post intended to convey to you. It must also be the fact that your RC skills suck due to english being your second language so I cant blame you there. Your completely right. You didnt put anyone down.:rolleyes: :laugh:... yeah right. get over yourself and your 21AA and please dont go around acting like an expert on the admissions process by telling people that the national average on the DAT is a 19 and that people can only specialize by going to ivy league schools.

I understand that that DAT is a standardized test that has to evolve with with time, but doesn't it put a disadvantage in those who have yet to take the DAT in comparison to those who have already taken it? In my opinion it does. If the past post about the DAT being about a rounded up of 20% harder, I think dental schools should somehow be informed of when the pooled questions for the test were somewhat increased in difficulty, because I doubt they do. A person who takes the DAT now and gets a 22AA, should be given preference to a person who got a 22AA a 6 months to a year before (assuming they are equivalences being compared for an admissions spot). Just another reason the DAT should not be considered a equalizer, because so many factors come to play a role in a person's final AA, such as the range of difficulty presented to a test taker from the pooled questions (which is a random process) in comparison to another test taker, or timing by which the pooled questions are changed in difficulty level. For a process to be standardized, it cannot be presented as a random mechanism. A random mechanism statistically gives a better picture of the range in a given population, in this case range of scores amongst overall test takers, but the point here is not to research the distribution of scores, but rather find a way to lessen the variance from test taker to test taker. I don't know how this can be done, or if it is possible, which is why calling a standaridized test an equalizer is a major problem. I know the DAT is a vital component of the admissions process and is a time tested process by which to choose amongst the best of applicants. So why change it, eh? But I think we need to stop calling it an equlaizer. My two cents. :love:

+pity+

First of all when I ask a question on this forum, I am always serious so please answer the question only...its all I asked...I don't need any other off the wall comments.
Secondly everyone knows the national average is a 18AA...I said a 19AA is what you need to be competive at getting accepted into dental school... Lastly I said Ivy Leagues should be one's top pick if they want to speicalized I never said they are the ONLY school that can allow you to do so....

wow... LOL you got some nerve. First of all if you read my post carefully I never said anything bad even to the extent that it implied anything demeaning. You already had a preconceived notion in your mind of what my post intended to convey to you. It must also be the fact that your RC skills suck due to english being your second language so I cant blame you there. Your completely right. You didnt put anyone down.:rolleyes: :laugh:... yeah right. get over yourself and your 21AA and please dont go around acting like an expert on the admissions process by telling people that the national average on the DAT is a 19 and that people can only specialize by going to ivy league schools.

i'm going to be frank here...every once in a while an sdner comes along that makes me realize the sort of people who are applying and the sort of people who may potentially be my classmates, and sometimes it downright scares me.

you, shc, are one such person.

^ what you said just there is a horrible mindset to have. you should be trying to improve yourself and your application instead of hoping everyone does poorly on the DAT due to its new difficulty.

man i can't imagine being in d-school with you.

BPD: dude, i was in lab all night and i missed that first class. do you happen to have the notes? btw, here are the notes from yesterdays lecture you asked for

SHC: HAHA sucker! you're going to fail the test now and i will pass because you failed! hahahahah!

:thumbdown:

maybe i'm being a bit harsh, but i feel its my responsibility to be honest with you...you might want to re-evaluate yourself before applying again :idea:

to the rest of the '08ers planning on taking the DAT...RELAX. study hard and you will do well. remember that everything is relative...they will most likely take into account when you took the exam, so stay positive and you guys will own the DAT! :luck:

First of all when I ask a question on this forum, I am always serious so please answer the question only...its all I asked...I don't need any other off the wall comments.
Secondly everyone knows the national average is a 18AA...I said a 19AA is what you need to be competive at getting accepted into dental school... Lastly I said Ivy Leagues should be one's top pick if they want to speicalized I never said they are the ONLY school that can allow you to do so....

I just love your attitude. To begin with I never made any off the wall comments to you so you might want to be absolutely sure before you go around falsely accusing people of doing that. When I said you will get into Harvard I was being encouraging despite your rude statements about how you hope the test does indeed get hard so everyone can get screwed while ensuring your chances at D school. I dont know if this registers in your brain but this is not a nice comment to make to those that have yet to take the test nor is it a good mindset to have in general. The fact that you took it so negatively stems from your personal insecurity. Also as a small piece of advice, If you dont need any "off the wall" comments Please refrain from making any "off the wall" comments in your posts towards others.

Secondly I agree everyone knows the national average is an 18AA except you as is evident in the following thread where you admitted to 19AA being the average at first and when I asked you where were you getting your information from you corrected yourself later. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4924122#post4924122

Thirdly you go around telling everyone Ivy leagues should be ones top pick to get into a specialty when other people constantly disagree with you on this as is quite evident from this following thread below so ergo you just like giving out inaccurate information to people.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4981452#post4981452

Lastly I think bruinpredent explained it the best so read his post because I really could care less about you and whether you get into any dental school in the future and even if you do I really hope that I do not have you as one of my class mates.

SHC: HAHA sucker! you're going to fail the test now and i will pass because you failed! hahahahah!

:thumbdown:

DAT isn't pass or fail.....and I highly doubt you can get into my in state school from out of state, so I luckly won't have to see you..

on the thread I said 19AA min.. Meaning 19AA min to get into dental schools... I never said 19AA national average..

I guess I did miss understand your previous comment...I not going to apply to Harvard this year, b/c their AA went up to a 24.5...so unless I can get at least a 24, I am not going to apply there.

If you care less about me great, please don't come into my threads...I never ask you to comment on my questions....You are the one taking the time to come into my threads ..which I think is kinda funny/werid.. If you don't like someone don't talk to them....why waste your energy?

I just love your attitude. To begin with I never made any off the wall comments to you so you might want to be absolutely sure before you go around falsely accusing people of doing that. When I said you will get into Harvard I was being encouraging despite your rude statements about how you hope the test does indeed get hard so everyone can get screwed while ensuring your chances at D school. I dont know if this registers in your brain but this is not a nice comment to make to those that have yet to take the test nor is it a good mindset to have in general. The fact that you took it so negatively stems from your personal insecurity. Also as a small piece of advice, If you dont need any "off the wall" comments Please refrain from making any "off the wall" comments in your posts towards others.

Secondly I agree everyone knows the national average is an 18AA except you as is evident in the following thread where you admitted to 19AA being the average at first and when I asked you where were you getting your information from you corrected yourself later. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4924122#post4924122

Thirdly you go around telling everyone Ivy leagues should be ones top pick to get into a specialty when other people constantly disagree with you on this as is quite evident from this following thread below so ergo you just like giving out inaccurate information to people.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4981452#post4981452

Lastly I think bruinpredent explained it the best so read his post because I really could care less about you and whether you get into any dental school in the future and even if you do I really hope that I do not have you as one of my class mates.

you are absolutely right. you are a complete waste of my energy. Finally we can agree upon something in this thread. GoodBye.

and yet you willl proberly be back in ten minutes to add another comment... :laugh: and please do I need a good laugh before class starts...

you are absolutely right. you are a complete waste of my energy. Finally we can agree upon something in this thread. GoodBye.

*yawn*

:beat:

this thread is pointless. mods, will you do the honors?

I am just wondering about the rumor that the DAT has gotten a lot harder this year... is this true?? I have heard that very few people are making high scores this year. (this could be good news for people that have already taken the DAT...but bad news for people that have not...)
But does anyone know if its true or not?? does anyone know someone that has just recently took the DAT and made 20+ across the board??
I hope the DAT got harder....that way my 21AA/22TS/18PAT can actually be competitive this year! :D

O... SHC1984... i know the exact answer to the question. The DAT is not harder, it just that there is now an unknown optical illusion factor to challenge the minds of the reader. Hence, the perceived difficulty (did i spell that right?) increase drastically. However, if one's cognitive capabilities where to reach nirvana, then one will easily see through the illusions and view the actual questions. In actuality, the DAT only ask one question, and that is the spelling of your name... would you get that... :D

God... i made so many mistakes in it... well.. at least its practice for writing the personal statement

No offense, but from reading things like this, it sounds like you could go a long way towards bettering your chances by working on your personality. Not to toot my own horn, but I just dont even think this way. I dont imagine admissions people want students who hide books in the library so their classmates fail. This attitude says something about your character.

I might misinterpret you and if so I apologize.

O... SHC1984... i know the exact answer to the question. The DAT is not harder, it just that there is now an unknown optical illusion factor to challenge the minds of the reader. Hence, the perceived difficulty (did i spell that right?) increase drastically. However, if one's cognitive capabilities where to reach nirvana, then one will easily see through the illusions and view the actual questions. In actuality, the DAT only ask one question, and that is the spelling of your name... would you get that... :D

God... i made so many mistakes in it... well.. at least its practice for writing the personal statement

:laugh: I am rolling on the floor laffing/laphing/laughing? Doing this -->:laugh:

Yes, it has gotten more difficult. I'm giving myself an extra 2 months of preparation.

Marion

english is my second language :laugh:

master_obvious.jpg

Harder compare to which year?? have you taken it before? I took it last year, is it harder compare with last year? thanks

Yes, it has gotten more difficult. I'm giving myself an extra 2 months of preparation.

Marion

My pictures are not funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There... I am back to my old picture and my eyes are not fishy, they are big and beautiful!!!!!!!!!
I figure why put pictures of other people up when it's better to look at gorgeous me! :p

Hmmm...I dunno...that picture totally has "angry asian chick" written all over it. Angry asian girls intimidate me.