Run out of time on 3rd test DAT Achiever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gasedo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last test on science sucks! I couldn’t finish the test, ending up with 17 in orgo b/c there were a lot of calculations in gen chem., plus I thought bio was kind of difficult too. :(
What do you guys think about the last test? Orgo seemed ok, but bio and gen chem….wow! :eek:
Is it similar with the real one?

Members don't see this ad.

DAT achiever is way harder than the real DAT, I guess it is designed that way to help prepare you for the DAT.

I got like 18 and 19s in the Biol and Chem sections in the DAT achiever, but I ended up getting like 24 and 26 in the real Biol and Chem section.

So don't be discouraged. Just study the answers after you finish the test and you will be fine.

Yea DAT achiever is hard overall, I am taking the third one tomm, but I took 2 of them and I am gettin like 18AA/18TS/18PAT. The bio section are crazy hard, i hope the bio sections arent that hard. Is it true that if you do good on Top score, you will be fine?! I have been getting 19s and 20s on it but I dont know how that coresponds to the real thing!. Anyways PAT on DAT achiever is crazy!!!.

DAT achiever is meant to help prepare you, not predict your score. Notice how in the BIO section there are tons of those roman numeral questions that ask: Which of the following is true regarding the (insert general topic..ie. calvin cycle)? Then the choices are like A. I only B. I II and III, C..blah blah. These questions test maximum knowledge that multiple choice can allow and will greatly broaden your biology knowledge. The best part about DAT achiever is the solutions! Study and understand them.

So don't worry if you are having time problems, do the best you can, and understand everything once it's over. The score is not that important on a mock test - especially one that is intentionally made very difficult. Comprehension on the other hand....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is QR on DAT Achiever supposed to be easy? I got 17s in the science sections but 24 in QR... Feel a little weird..

Dentist2be said:
Is QR on DAT Achiever supposed to be easy? I got 17s in the science sections but 24 in QR... Feel a little weird..

is this the only thing you are studying for the dat?? any kaplan?? how do you feel about the dat achiever??

lillytwig said:
is this the only thing you are studying for the dat?? any kaplan?? how do you feel about the dat achiever??

I am using basically everything I can get my hands on (Kapln blue book, Schaum's bio, bio textbook, ochem textbook, barrons for PAT, DAT Achiever and google). I found the achiever very challenging esp. for the science sections. PAT just drives me crazy. hope the real one is not as tough.. QR was easy compared to the other sections. I was depressed after seeing my scores (17/18/18 for TS/AA/PAT) because I studied A LOT, but now that I know it was meant to be really difficult, I feel a bit relieved. But still more to go!

Dentist2be said:
I am using basically everything I can get my hands on (Kapln blue book, Schaum's bio, bio textbook, ochem textbook, barrons for PAT, DAT Achiever and google). I found the achiever very challenging esp. for the science sections. PAT just drives me crazy. hope the real one is not as tough.. QR was easy compared to the other sections. I was depressed after seeing my scores (17/18/18 for TS/AA/PAT) because I studied A LOT, but now that I know it was meant to be really difficult, I feel a bit relieved. But still more to go!
When are you taking the DAT?

Dentist2be said:
April 29. And you?

How did find the QR section by the way? Is nobody going to answer my question? :(
I am taking the DAT in May.
What I hate about QR is the timing. You got to work really really fast, and sometimes I do stupid mistakes because I feel I am always in a hurry when I work this section. Plus math is the last section in the exam, so you are already exhausted by the time you start it. I don’t know how you got 24, but if you did you are very good and very quick. Maybe you have some good shortcuts for every type of problem and maybe you can help us that are stuck with 18s, 19s, in giving some good advice. :D

Gasedo said:
I am taking the DAT in May.
What I hate about QR is the timing. You got to work really really fast, and sometimes I do stupid mistakes because I feel I am always in a hurry when I work this section. Plus math is the last section in the exam, so you are already exhausted by the time you start it. I don’t know how you got 24, but if you did you are very good and very quick. Maybe you have some good shortcuts for every type of problem and maybe you can help us that are stuck with 18s, 19s, in giving some good advice. :D

I think I feel pretty comfortable with the QR because I've been tutoring Math 11/12 for years (I tutored grade 9s and 10s when I was in grade 11/12). And I try not to use a calculator in everyday life. Sorry I don't think it helped you much. Just keep practicing! I think the key is to keep using that particular part of the brain REGULARLY. Cramming doesn't work for the QR section. Good luck! :)