Running out of time on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocWalken

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent running out of time on verbal? I get the majority of the questions right without a time limit.

I'm pretty early into studying, but still I don't want to make this a habit. Did anyone have trouble with this originally and overcome this problem (manage a VR score >10)?

I'm doing kaplan online and so far it's the section tests that get me so that I never have enough time to do the last passage.

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

PRACTICE!!!

When I started doing TPR diagnostics, I wasn't coming close to finishing. I was getting maybe 7 passages if I was lucky (this is back in the day of the 8-hour MCAT, and I think there were 9 passages). I got a 6 on VR on my first diagnostic. Then I started practicing.

I picked up an ExamKracker's book, and a few other books, all with nothing but VR passages. I started doing a full-length VR section every day during my lunch break, and timing myself. I got to where I could do 10 passages in the allotted time. I started scoring 10+ on every diagnostic, and got an 11 on the real one.

It took about 2 months of practice nearly every day.

So you got the technique down, aka getting the questions right, your gonna have to quit going back to the passage as much, and dont get stuck on one question. Not much else you can do

Pace yourself.

Try to finish each passage in X minutes.

If you ever get stuck, make the best educated guess, and move on. Too many people get stuck and worry about that one point instead of simply trying to maximize their overall score.