Running out of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BulsangHanNamja

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted something like this before but didn't get any response.

Right now i'm a sophmore and I only have Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and genetics under my belt. I still need to take Org I and II.

When do i need to take the DAT? I'll have Org I during fall 2005 of my junior year and Org II during my spring 2006.

I feel like taking my first DAT in my senior year is a little too late?

I forgot to mention that I made a "C" in my chem I class.. and I dont know if i need to retake that course over the summer.

I appreciate it if you guys would help me or give some advice. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT in September that's probably the latest that you would want to take it in order to enroll the following year. If you have your AADSAS application completed and DAT scores in by the end of October 2006 you should do just fine. Besides, you don't want to worry about all this as you get further into your senior year.

It's hard to say whether or not you'd like to take that course over again. Getting a solid score on the general chem section of the DAT certainly wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

William Olympus said:
I took the DAT in September that's probably the latest that you would want to take it in order to enroll the following year. If you have your AADSAS application completed and DAT scores in by the end of October 2006 you should do just fine. Besides, you don't want to worry about all this as you get further into your senior year.

It's hard to say whether or not you'd like to take that course over again. Getting a solid score on the general chem section of the DAT certainly wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

so you took the DAT in september of your senior year? So i'll be fine as long as i take the DAT by then eh? .. hmmm..

Members don't see this ad :)
As bad as it sounds.......the early bird gets the worm. You have to study and take it the summer after your junior year. Lets say you start studying in June. Take it in August. That way, if any accident happens, you can take it again in November ( Fall of your senior year). I wouldnt wait until Fall or later to take the DAT. Good Luck :luck:

Is there any way you can take the orgo 1 and 2 over this summer? That will buy you time. Alo- you can apply without your DAT scores. But you want to have those scores in as soon as you can if this is the route you want to take. But I suggest taking orgo over summer--at community college or at your university- and take that test as soon as you can.

Sweeti8286 said:
Is there any way you can take the orgo 1 and 2 over this summer? That will buy you time. Alo- you can apply without your DAT scores. But you want to have those scores in as soon as you can if this is the route you want to take. But I suggest taking orgo over summer--at community college or at your university- and take that test as soon as you can.

i was thinking about that option of taking org I and II over the summer but i felt like taking it over the summer won't get me the full benefit to help me for the DAT.

Aother problem that comes to mind,if i was to take org I and II over the summer is that it conflicts with my plan of taking Physics I over the summer as well. I would def. have to take org I and II over at the university that i am attending now which is 2 hours away from home. I was planning on taking physics I over in my home town university which is a little easier. I def. need physics I before fall 2005 begins bc it is a prerequisite course to take cell.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

So when would be the latest to turn in my DAT results with my gpa to be a competitive applicant?

Taking the DAT during the summer after my junior year does sound like a good idea. I just want a max. of 3 tries to get the best DAT score that i can.

Sorry for asking so many questions! I really appreciate the help. Thanks!!

What cycle are you hoping to get accepted in? If you want to get in the 2006 cycle, then I would honestly say it sounds like you're trying to rush things a bit. You're finishing up your second year, yet you havn't even started on o-chem or physics? When I was a sophomore, I was finishing up all my preqs by the end of sophmore year, and I wasn't even considering dental school at the time. I had to in order to meet all the requirements for upper division classes. My school didn't even let us take bio unless we were at least concurrently enrolled in o-chem.

I seriously think you should not rush things and make sure you get A's in all those classes. Even if you were to take physics this summer and o-chem 1 and 2 your junior year, you should still have plenty of time to take the DAT. Just study during that summer in between junior and senior year, send out apps in May, take the dat in July/August and you should be good to go. Don't concentrate on taking the DAT more than once. You want to be prepared enough to do it right the first time. Making mistakes is what practice tests are for.

That's good advice sherm. That's the way I would recommend doing it too: apply in May, prepare for DAT properly, and plan to just take the DAT once in Jul/Aug.