Running out of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsxr2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have finally just registered a username for this site after checking sd.net all the time. One thing I am having problems with is running out of time when trying to replicate testing conditions. I find myself going over about 15-20 minutes and scoring exceptionally well. However, I know I will not be fortunate enough to get extra time on the test, so I need recommendations to get my speed up and not sacrifice problems in the process. When I try to skip problems and come back to it later, I either forget I had the problems, or can't focus on the problems at hand because I skipped previous ones. Any advice from people who find themselves having similar problems?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you need more practice skipping problems. Purposefully skip problems when you practice to get used to that feeling. Also, do as many online practice as possible avoiding paper as much as possible.

Force yourself to do the problems under timed conditions. Meaning, don't allow yourself to continue doing problems after the bell has rung. Finish the test (guess if you have to) and then review problems.

Bottom line is to practice, practice, practice.

I'd time yourself to figure out what is taking you too much time. Are you taking too much time reading the passage initially, or answering the questions?

If it's the initial read, maybe you're focusing too much on the details.

If it's answering the questions, find out where the problem lies. Are you carefully analyzing each choice in detail...maybe you can find a way to eliminate a choice or two or three quickly, then take time on the most likely candidates.

Only by timing the questions are you going to find out where the problem is. 6 min. on reading, 3 min. on answering...reading is the problem. 4 min. on reading, 6 min. on answering...you need to work on how you answer the questions.

If you are fine on most questions, but there are just a couple that suck a lot of time, you need to make an educated guess and move on...let it go. Work on techniques to improve your guessing. Don't be such a perfectionist. Not finishing certainly isn't perfection (if that's your problem :))

I don't think skipping questions, moving onto the next passage, and trying to come back later is productive at all. Better to guess and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice, I do believe that I am spending too much time analyzing the questions and answer choices. I have cut my passage time down from 7 min to 5 min and am trying to better understand how the author is presenting the question rather than on how I interpret the question and answer. Thanks again

Dear all,

I have finally just registered a username for this site after checking sd.net all the time. One thing I am having problems with is running out of time when trying to replicate testing conditions. I find myself going over about 15-20 minutes and scoring exceptionally well. However, I know I will not be fortunate enough to get extra time on the test, so I need recommendations to get my speed up and not sacrifice problems in the process. When I try to skip problems and come back to it later, I either forget I had the problems, or can't focus on the problems at hand because I skipped previous ones. Any advice from people who find themselves having similar problems?

Something else that nobody else mentioned but are you a slow/fast thinker? Like are you a morning or night person?

I know that when I study in the morning I am very inefficient and slow, but as the day goes on, my attention span and concentration goes through the roof.

My mind will feel cloudy and really slow in the morning.

What can help is if you get your sleep schedule in check so that you go to bed and wake up earlier. Time release melatonin like .10-.25 mg bout 3-5 hours before going to bed helps shift it back naturally. May want to look into it if this is a problem.

I also do some crossword puzzles and sudoku in the morning to get the "analytical" skills activated.

One of the worst things with the 8 AM exam (i'm singed up for that) is that you go in and you feel like your mind is "off." So you end up doing physical sciences first or whatever, and you're not warmed up.

So try doing something intellectually stimulating whether it be doing some puzzles, reading something interesting, etc. basically anything that makes you more cerebral than anything else.