running question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctizzle13498

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this is just a question to ponder about:

I remember that DIT says that closing your fist will increase afterload, thus making it harder for your heart to pump blood out. So my question is, while running, if I was to extend my fingers completely, would that help me run longer because I am technically not increasing my afterload.

I know it sounds weird, but I tried it out earlier, and I don't know if it was in my mind, but it really seemed like I was able to run longer

Members don't see this ad.

But i could be biased bc i know that info....speaking of which....would that be pygmalion effect or hawthorne effect? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
both because your the researcher and the subject of investigation :thumbup:

I was just kidding, maybe your question is a good question, but for me all that counts now is the highest of the highest yields.

I'm still looking at my uw notes, I'm taking much more time to read them than I initially though I would take. 170 pages

sure Im saving my last 5 days to that, here in portugal we call it "stick with saliva"

do you need me to explain? xD

I've actually never met anyone from portugal. I know people from Spain at my university. Are Portuguese women just as beautiful?

stick with saliva....i like that, I'm going to start saying that here in Houston.

of course, you see lots of them even in the subway, streets, nighclubs of course, they're everywhere. even at medical school eheh but I bet the us is the same. I only know new york, boston, charlotte and washington and all I can say is that people in usa are very multirracial, here you see that in lisbon (because we have lots of former overseas territory portuguese citizens) but I'd say about 85% of the people here is very similar to each other.

so this is just a question to ponder about:

I remember that DIT says that closing your fist will increase afterload, thus making it harder for your heart to pump blood out. So my question is, while running, if I was to extend my fingers completely, would that help me run longer because I am technically not increasing my afterload.

I know it sounds weird, but I tried it out earlier, and I don't know if it was in my mind, but it really seemed like I was able to run longer

Getting back to the concept at hand (pun intended)...

What you asked is this:

If contracting the flexor muscles forcefully increases afterload does contracting the extensor muscles forcefully DEcrease afterload?

Now, if it isn't painfully obvious by now, I'll make it explicit.

No. Contraction is contraction. You can just squeeze harder than you can extend, so afterload increases more with contraction of flexors than extensors. The way you decrease afterload is to be sedentary.