rural area need pharmacists too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pencilandpen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
been working 50 hours per week recently covering for a stores in rural areas. the stores are in small towns about 2 hrs away from a major metropolitan area.
we had 2 new grads who accepted the offer, worked for 1 week then left for offers in cities.
the new grads were offered full time 45hr/week, yet gave that up for 30hr /wk in cities.

and there are some areas where its a complete pharmacy desert and the county has to turn to local health departments for services

totally baffles my mind...........

pharmacists complain about saturation and not finding full time work yet unwilling to take full time work when its available..... and instead rather cluster around major metro areas begging for scraps....

but hey on the bright side more sweet sweet over time and job security for me lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
If you do the math, RPhs in rural areas actually come out better financially as well. Lower COL and in some cases no local taxes. I'm more than willing (and would actually prefer) to work in a rural area or small/mid size town as opposed to a large city. Kinda why I'm still pursuing pharmacy.

Reactions: 5 users
Where are we talking about? Region if you don't feel comfortable saying the state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For many, the long drive isn't worth it. No way in hell I'm driving 2 hours to go to work, not to mention the 2 hour drive back home, especially after a long shift.

If you don't have any particular ties to a metro area and are young I would go for it assuming the narc prescribing practices aren't insane in that rural area.

Young people don't want to be in the sticks. There is nothing to do and fewer other young people. I used to live in small town USA. It really wasn't that bad...and you can live like a king with reduced housing prices.

Roughly where are you if you don't mind me asking? I could lose my job at any moment due to the nature of my job, the nature of working for a corporate pharmacy, and the whims of a new district manager that I have zero repport with. It's nice to have rough backup plans.

been working 50 hours per week recently covering for a stores in rural areas. the stores are in small towns about 2 hrs away from a major metropolitan area.
we had 2 new grads who accepted the offer, worked for 1 week then left for offers in cities.
the new grads were offered full time 45hr/week, yet gave that up for 30hr /wk in cities.
Smart new grads. I'd do the same, it's way easier to get a full time position WHILE you are already in the area than asking for a transfer from rural area. #1 no one wants to replace you #2 who are you again? (DL perspective).

All you need to do once you are in the desired area working part time is to play the waiting game. Wait until someone retires, quits, moves, gets fired, then they will give you 40h/w. It could be 6 months, it could be 2 years but you are first priority to get that spot. In the mean time? You can apply else where as you build that experience. It's the city, there are more opportunities.

This is exactly what I did. Our district always desperate for pharmacist coverage and I knew I would have more opportunity if I move to rural area as a new grad. I'm still working on my license but other intern who just got licensed ended up getting a store right away since one of store pharmacists moved on to different job. I also see many older pharmacists who are looking into retirement within next couple of years. Although I have to drive 1.5 hours back and forth until I get my apartment, I know there are many opportunities here and I'm glad I took this offer.

I get emails from recruiters all the time for hospital positions in small towns. Competitive pay, sign on bonus, no residency required. Not a bad deal for a new grad looking to get their start.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a new grad and honestly I wouldn’t mind moving to a rural area ( especially if it’s a hospital) for a couple of years to get experience and save money, then move to the city. However, I still haven’t been able to land any clinical opportunities. I would appreciate it if people can be more specific, as to where this opportunities are. As long as it is not too cold there I ll be willing to move there.

Even the rural areas in my state are getting saturated.... I talked to my recent USC grad RPH friends and their only getting 32hours a week

Where are we talking about? Region if you don't feel comfortable saying the state.

Young people don't want to be in the sticks. There is nothing to do and fewer other young people. I used to live in small town USA. It really wasn't that bad...and you can live like a king with reduced housing prices.

Roughly where are you if you don't mind me asking? I could lose my job at any moment due to the nature of my job, the nature of working for a corporate pharmacy, and the whims of a new district manager that I have zero repport with. It's nice to have rough backup plans.

I was in Maryland around the Baltimore suburbs for a bit and then went to rural PA . Maryland as a whole state is getting quite saturated. PA is also super saturated but since I am willing to go places nobody wants to go and work shifts nobody wants to take I have lots of hours. I spend a lot of time on the road and in hotels. I would work 12 hours back to back but would then get 4 days off in a row.

I’m a new grad and honestly I wouldn’t mind moving to a rural area ( especially if it’s a hospital) for a couple of years to get experience and save money, then move to the city. However, I still haven’t been able to land any clinical opportunities. I would appreciate it if people can be more specific, as to where this opportunities are. As long as it is not too cold there I ll be willing to move there.

What I am referring to is not clinical . I work outpatient or what you call retail

I get emails from recruiters all the time for hospital positions in small towns. Competitive pay, sign on bonus, no residency required. Not a bad deal for a new grad looking to get their start.

I get emails about sign on bonuses for places in Alaska lol . Also emails for Spanish speaking pharmacists which I am trying to learn lmao
Trying to watch telemundo daily

and there are some areas where its a complete pharmacy desert and the county has to turn to local health departments for services

totally baffles my mind...........

pharmacists complain about saturation and not finding full time work yet unwilling to take full time work when its available..... and instead rather cluster around major metro areas begging for scraps....

but hey on the bright side more sweet sweet over time and job security for me lol.

If employers would raise wages, they would get workers in the rural areas.

If they don't have workers, then the wages aren't high enough.

If employers would raise wages, they would get workers in the rural areas.

If they don't have workers, then the wages aren't high enough.

Lol raise wages for pharmacy . What do you think this is the 90s when there's actually pharmacist shortages . Just be glad you did t get your hours cut

Even rural hospitals in California want experience and/or residency.

I don't know what rural areas you are talking about but it ain't on the east coast

Yeah I want to know where this sudden influx of demand for rural pharmacists. I'm in one on the most rural areas on east coast and saturated like hell.

Yeah I want to know where this sudden influx of demand for rural pharmacists. I'm in one on the most rural areas on east coast and saturated like hell.

well theres demand enough that I am working lots of over over time .
Individual experiences may vary