Rural Area question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotty_premed

Scott
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I am from an extremly rural area. Like population 200, with nearby towns in the 1000s. Does coming from a rural area such as this have any advantage what so ever in the admission process? Just curious if there are different levels of what is considered "rural" My stats are good, just curious...

By the way, why isnt it counting my posts???? :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i think it'd definitely be advantagenous for the schools that place strong emphasis on rural primary care (ie pcsom, wvsom, osucom (sort of), and i'm sure they're others).

it counts your posts, but only shows them in groups.. like 10+, 50+, 100+... etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
yeah, i think it'd definitely be advantagenous for the schools that place strong emphasis on rural primary care (ie pcsom, wvsom, osucom (sort of), and i'm sure they're others).

Hmm, Oh checked out your stats..congrats, but med schools are geared towards family practice, better yet general medicine, not primary care...specalties come after you make it through...Also as far as these schools emphasising "rural" primary care, no such beast. Yes to a rural med specialty but not rural primary care. WVSOM does enjoy a strong focus here, but the others on your list nope.

got-it said:
Hmm, Oh checked out your stats..congrats, but med schools are geared towards family practice, better yet general medicine, not primary care...specalties come after you make it through...Also as far as these schools emphasising "rural" primary care, no such beast. Yes to a rural med specialty but not rural primary care. WVSOM does enjoy a strong focus here, but the others on your list nope.

appreciate the semantics there. anyway, check out pcsom's mission statement -- it uses the terms "primary care" and "rural" with some frequency. as for osucom, i was told by people who have attended that school that it's a good thing in your interview to say that you're willing to work in a rural area -- of course, that rural area should be in oklahoma.

http://pcsom.pc.edu/about/index.htm

pcsom also has you write an essay of "why you would make a great rural osteopathic physician. so, yes telling them will help. And WVSOM is ranked in top 50 by US news for rural medicine.