Rural EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilroth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I talked to my aunt who is a nurse in a town of 5,000. She said the docs there do 24 hour shifts. Do these docs do one or two of these shifts a week? Could any of you see yourself liking this system moreso than the 8,10,12 shifts at trauma centers? I suppose it would be difficult unless you are originally from a rural area, like myself.

Members don't see this ad.

....and I bet they sleep over half of the shift......

Most likely. The department I am referring to is only 2 beds. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
one bed for the pt., and one bed for the doc .......nice....

Originally posted by kilroth
Hi, I talked to my aunt who is a nurse in a town of 5,000. She said the docs there do 24 hour shifts. Do these docs do one or two of these shifts a week? Could any of you see yourself liking this system moreso than the 8,10,12 shifts at trauma centers? I suppose it would be difficult unless you are originally from a rural area, like myself.

I woulnd't mind doing it. Trauma isn't my "thing" although I do enjoy running the trauma codes at our hospital. I am not sure 100% what I will be doing when I'm out of here... perhaps being a medical director, EMS director, or perhaps just a "grunt." I am willing to commute 1 - 2 hrs one way for my place of employment, so a rural ED is in the picture for me. (I plan on going back to the DC area, where it is insanely expensive to live)... I won't mind the commute since I have been walkign to my hospital from day 1, and I actually love to drive.

Q, DO

Yikes. Talked to my aunt today and she said the docs there work 2 or sometimes 3 24-hour shifts a week. It's also 5 beds and not 2.

This past summer I toured an ED on the Big Island of Hawaii. They did 3 24-hour shifts a week, and had 14 beds. They still slept most of the night though. For the location, I think I could deal with the schedule :)

Yeah, I am beginning to think that I would like to practice in a smaller community setting...maybe near the beach. The rural setting is still lacking BC EM docs, and I think it is wide open for us.

Ok, I'll be that guy.

Is there a discrepancy in how much rural EM docs make as apposed to those who work in a more urban setting?

I came from a smaller town about 30,000 and would like to go back to something like that. Is that considered rural? it was way out in the boonies. Or is rural more like 15.,000 and under?

Originally posted by Cowboy DO
Ok, I'll be that guy.

Is there a discrepancy in how much rural EM docs make as apposed to those who work in a more urban setting?

I came from a smaller town about 30,000 and would like to go back to something like that. Is that considered rural? it was way out in the boonies. Or is rural more like 15.,000 and under?

"Rural" is designated by the government, according to population density.

I think pay goes up the further you get from a city. I am not the expert though. :)

The reason is that they have to pay docs more to move to the middle of no where.

I think pay goes up the further you get from a city. I am not the expert though.

That is the prevailing wisdom.