Rural Job gets 25 Applications!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just more evidence to suggest this field is over saturated. A friend interviewed at a high paying rural job, (middle of nowhere) and the recruiter mentioned they got 25 applications for one position. People applying from both coasts.

Recruiter mentioned she has never seen this level of interest in a job position from other specialties.

Med students I would think twice before going into this field unless you absolutely hate everything else in medicine.

The job market is better than years past but still I don’t think this job market is robust at all as some or most other fields.

Limited jobs near large cities forces people to “take what they can get” or have to move. Sucks if you have a family.

This field is UGLY oversaturated..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What is supposed to be so surprising about this revelation that you thought deserved an exclamation mark? HIGH PAYING RURAL JOB. Let's see, make lot of money and live in low cost of living area. Sounds like a job everyone should be applying for rather than whining about making crap living in the new england states or the bay area.

Get a truffle pig for ancillary income and you can retire early.

1702406360075.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What is supposed to be so surprising about this revelation that you thought deserved an exclamation mark? HIGH PAYING RURAL JOB. Let's see, make lot of money and live in low cost of living area. Sounds like a job everyone should be applying for rather than whining about making crap living in the new england states or the bay area.

Get a truffle pig for ancillary income and you can retire early.

View attachment 379723
The point of my post is not to say there are high paying rural jobs.

It’s the fact that there are 25 pathologists fighting for one rural spot and per the recruiter, she has never seen this level of interest in other specialties. For a recruiter who probably has been recruiting for years, this says something. You are missing the point.

The point being that there are too many pathologists in this field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed for a similar job 15 years ago and was told by the recruiter that there were 50+ applicants. Look how far we've come.

• Haha
Don’t get me wrong Webb.

I ain’t hating the PLAYA who gets these jobs.

Good for them. I’m happy for anyone who gets these rural jobs and can do better for themselves and their family.

Everyone should aim for rural jobs if you can tolerate living there but I can’t see how anyone can bring their families to live there unless you grew up rural.

Financially, not considering the lifestyle, it’s much better than living in cities with high cost of living AND getting taken advantage of by academia, senior greedy partners or whoever else who is looking to nickle and dime you. This seems to be more prevalent in Pathology but who knows…

If you got loans you can probably pay them off quick.

Rural folk generally nicer people too.

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong Webb.

I ain’t hating the PLAYA who gets these jobs.

Good for them. I’m happy for anyone who gets these rural jobs and can do better for themselves and their family.

Everyone should aim for rural jobs if you can tolerate living there but I can’t see how anyone can bring their families to live there unless you grew up rural.

Financially, not considering the lifestyle, it’s much better than living in cities with high cost of living AND getting taken advantage of by academia, senior greedy partners or whoever else who is looking to nickle and dime you. This seems to be more prevalent in Pathology but who knows…

If you got loans you can probably pay them off quick.

Rural folk generally nicer people too.
Rural folk might be generally nicer, but that is a generalization, and probably more true when saying "hello" at check out counters than when splitting revenue.
There are many employment horror stories in Deliverance territory - not just the Bay area.
Plus, when you're on the receiving end of a bad employment outcome, it hurts the ego and your reputation more if it occurred in rural Kansas than if it occurred in Miami.
Bottom line - path sucks and truffle pigs rule.

You can live like a king in deliverance territory. Own thousands of acres of farmland, rental properties, small businesses etc. Then your pathology job is low pressure because you are making bank with other sources of income. For those that think path sucks, there are many more off ramps by going rural.

Reactions: 2 users
You can live like a king in deliverance territory. Own thousands of acres of farmland, rental properties, small businesses etc. Then your pathology job is low pressure because you are making bank with other sources of income. For those that think path sucks, there are many more off ramps by going rural.
Usually the median income in rural areas is low. How do you sustain businesses with people who may not be able to afford your product (doggie day care, etc)

Usually the median income in rural areas is low. How do you sustain businesses with people who may not be able to afford your product (doggie day care, etc)
Not really true in my experience. There are poor rural areas, but because the expenses are lower people in the South and Midwest have more of an opportunity of live some sort of dystopian 1950's American dream than elsewhere. They can definitely afford to send their pets to doggy day care.

Probably depends what "rural" means. Consider Bentonville, Arkansas. Population 50K with the nearest major airport 3+ hours away. Most coastal types would probably consider it the middle of nowhere (I wouldn't want to live there), but it has the Walmart headquarters and a lot of people with disposable income. Versus some former single industry coal mining town in Appalachia that's not staging a health/tech based comeback. If you want to stay legal there, you'll have to fight with the already established dollar store, liquor store, and vape shop.

Don't worry med students/residents in a couple of years it will go back to 100+ applicants. Academics/Corps/Path organizations will make sure of it. Join pathology where you hope a middle of nowhere place acknowledges your CV. Haha! Funny because it's true.

Just more evidence to suggest this field is over saturated. A friend interviewed at a high paying rural job, (middle of nowhere) and the recruiter mentioned they got 25 applications for one position. People applying from both coasts.

Recruiter mentioned she has never seen this level of interest in a job position from other specialties.

Med students I would think twice before going into this field unless you absolutely hate everything else in medicine.

The job market is better than years past but still I don’t think this job market is robust at all as some or most other fields.

Limited jobs near large cities forces people to “take what they can get” or have to move. Sucks if you have a family.

This field is UGLY It has been so since before 1985, w

Pathology has always been oversupplied. I would not choose pathology again. If your father or family member is a partner, then a job may exist.