Rural Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shellio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -
I am interested in a career in rural health, but I must confess that I don't know a lot about it. Maybe you guys can help me - I would really like to go into OB, but is it possible to do so as a rural practitioner? I am under the impression that it is best not to specialize. Any tidbits at all about rural medicine would be helpful!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you could go into family practice. Some family practice residencies include training in obstetrics and rural health.

since you are interested in rural medicine and applied to OHSU (I noticed your name in one of the other threads), i bet you already know about the 3rd year rural rotation OHSU med students do right? i think that it is a wonderful opportunity for you to test your interest or have you already done so? and obviously OHSU is an excellent family med school.

Originally posted by Shellio:
•I would really like to go into OB, but is it possible to do so as a rural practitioner? I am under the impression that it is best not to specialize.•••

Whether or not it is the best idea, I can't answer. What I can tell you, coming from a rural area, is that you can definitely do OB in a rural area. Almost all of the OBs around here practice from a larger town (with WalMart and everything, but no mall) that is in the center of a large rural area.

I don't know if a really small town like mine (pop ~1500) would have a large enough patient base to keep an OB busy. However, when you consider that most people around rural towns don't actually live in town, it may be possible.

Good luck.