Rural Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pro-Dentite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of talk about a rural practice being more profitable than an urban practice. How small of a town do you think is too small? How would you define rural? 5000 people, 2000 people,...?

Members don't see this ad.

rural?ly adv.
Synonyms: rural, bucolic, rustic, pastoral

These adjectives all mean of or typical of the country as distinguished from the city. Rural applies to sparsely settled or agricultural country: ?I do love quiet, rural England? (George Meredith). Bucolic is often used pejoratively or facetiously of country people or their manners: ?The keenest of bucolic minds felt a whispering awe at the sight of the gentry? (George Eliot). Rustic frequently suggests a lack of sophistication or elegance, but it may also connote artless and pleasing simplicity: ?some rustic phrases which I had learned at the farmer's house? (Jonathan Swift). The hiker slept in a charming, rustic cottage. Pastoral, which evokes the image of shepherds, sheep, and verdant countryside, suggests serenity: The train passed through pastoral landscapes.

I wouldn't look at it as the "number of people" but pertaining to the above characteristics. I also heard that rural dentist are prone to burn out...

Pro-Dentite,

You might be safer looking for communities that are underserved and in need of oral care. These communities, often tend to be rural communities, and have a large opportunity for huge profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah baby. Come to Indiana.

Most of the state is underserved, and my (tiny) home county has 3 dentists serving about 15,000 people. You talk about making a <i>truckload</i> of money, this is the place.

^^ a lot can happen to change things in 10 years...

What's with the thread resurrections lately?

What's with the thread resurrections lately?

The best resurrections happen when someone asks a question to the OP, even though the thread is 5+ years old. Good times. :D