Rush curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsterali

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just stumbled on to the site and this is my first message!

I wish I knew this way in advance.

Here is my question....I have been accepted to Rush Medical College in Chicago (off the waiting list on June 2nd) and wondering if anybody has heard anything about there new curriculum? :)

Members don't see this ad.

monsterali,

Congratulations on Rush! I'll be starting there in the fall, so I know a little about the school, but of course not as much as a current student. As for the "new curriculum," it will not be implemented this year, as stated in a letter I got last month from Rush. According to Jan Schmidt, the admissions director, they have been trying to meld together the alternative and traditional curriculums for several years, but still have not been able to get everything set. For that reason, all of the students for the past several years and including this fall are on the traditional curriculum track.

I'm actually a little relieved that they are not starting the new curriculum yet. The traditional track is very good, and, according to some students I've talked to, really gets you prepared for third year. Included in the traditional curr. are lectures (mostly), as well as labs, small groups, and the preceptorship experience at a doctor's office.

A few years ago, my sister was in the first class to go through a big curriculum change at her school, and it was a terrible experience (they were going towards more PBL). She said none of the profs. knew what to teach or how, and it really hurt all of the students in her class. She ended up transferring to another school after the first year. So, I'm glad we won't be the "guinea pigs" next fall.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and I'll see you in about five weeks!

:cool: Orange