Rush Medical College Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex05

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's going here? I need some love from others who are going here.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't decided between Rush and UIC (the place I've been accepted so far), and still on the waitlist at 3 schools. How/why did you choose Rush in particular?

Sorry to bust in on the "already acepted" thread, but I am interviewing there in one week--any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
who's going to the second look this friday...will see you there and what should be the dress code by the way...is it a suit or business casual with a tie??? :confused:

no second look for me (unless i hear from another school before the date). i did accidentally post a thread about housing in the regular allopathic forum. maybe it'll show up here. but if you guys have any info about rush housing on/off campus that isn't on the website, please dish! :)

I'm going to the second look day, and I'm really excited to check out the school again. I am going to go business casual with no tie.

dude, this thread is empty. i can hear crickets chirping :D

Yeah really. Hopefully it will pick up after the second look day if people decide for sure they're going to attend. I'm still not 100% sure yet, but I will probably be able to decide after this weekend.

So guys, did ya learn anything from 2nd look? I couldn't go, and I'm wondering whether there was anything important mentioned???

They gave us some pretty useful information about financial aid and immunizations, but I'm pretty sure you'll get this information from them soon anyway because not everyone could attend. The student panel was really helpful, as well as entertaining, and everyone at the school seemed really happy to be there. It was also really cool to meet our potential classmates. It was a fun day, sorry to hear you couldn't make it.

Anyone else going to Rush in the fall? This thread is very quiet compared to some of the others.

yes! why is it so quiet!? :( does that mean i only have whootman and alex as classmates? i called them today. orientation is on sept 6! i haven't had school starting that late since i was a kid!

red dot said:
yes! why is it so quiet!? :( does that mean i only have whootman and alex as classmates? i called them today. orientation is on sept 6! i haven't had school starting that late since i was a kid!

Ack! I'm still struggling between Rush and Loyola and I couldn't make it to Second Look. What were some of things you were most impressed by (or unimpressed by) at Rush?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was most impressed by the supportive environment (both the students as well as the administration) and the overall positive attitude of the students. There are also lots of volunteer opportunities available in the city through the RCSIP program. I was also really impressed with the facilities (although they showed most of them on interview day), and I like that the class size is smaller than some other schools (128). The only drawback I personally found about Rush was the tuition, but that didn't deter me enough to decide not to go there.

As far as Loyola is concerned, I have no idea because I didn't even interview there, but good luck in making your decision!

Bringing it back up just incase...

I'll be going to rush this fall. for me i was deciding between mcw and rush for the longest time. after going to the second look day two weeks ago, i definetly decided to choose rush. i love the fact that we get to do rotations at cook county. i imagine this will be the greatest place to get hands on physician experience. i'm pretty psyched about starting starting in a few months. it just seems like this last semester of undergrad is taking forever.

Hey there everybody! For those that have already decided on Rush, congrats and welcome! I'm an M1 now and have just gotten sucked back in to SDN. I'm around if you have questions/comments/concerns about Rush or starting up med school in general. I just wanted to put that out there, but with a caveat.... I'm swamped right now so give me a little bit of time to reply. Especially until I finish my taxes. Ugh. And just because the Rush thread tends to be quiet doesn't mean people aren't out there or excited, so hang in there. September will be here before you know it! Again, welcome!

:clap: :clap:

Still trying to decide between Rush and U of I, but Rush is inching to the top. Still on 3 waitlists, but I think I'm going to be back in Chicago next year. I missed second look, but I'll see you guys around.

Anyone else's estimated financial "award" letter give them a anxiety attack? Not that it told me anything new but still..... :eek: !!

Hah, well I don't know about an anxiety attack, but seeing as it's only an estimate, I'm not gonna try to worry about it too much until the actual award letter comes.

Whootman said:
Hah, well I don't know about an anxiety attack, but seeing as it's only an estimate, I'm not gonna try to worry about it too much until the actual award letter comes.

Will we get the actual award letter before May 15?

I don't believe so. I asked the guy when the actual award letters would go out. I don't remember exactly when he said, but I'm pretty sure it was sometime after May 15 because I remember thinking it would have been cool to have it before then.

May 15 is getting closer. Anyone else decide on Rush?

Stumbled upon the 2010 thread while searching for anything related to making a decision between UIC and Rush.

I had a good time at the Second Look Day, and it was great to meet future (current already?) classmates. I liked the vibe the professors/admissions directors were rocking and that's a bonus. And I've had a couple friends who went to/currently attend Rush. Has anyone else on this thread had to make this decision?

(First post: heavy question. Sorry!)

white_van said:
Stumbled upon the 2010 thread while searching for anything related to making a decision between UIC and Rush.

I had a good time at the Second Look Day, and it was great to meet future (current already?) classmates. I liked the vibe the professors/admissions directors were rocking and that's a bonus. And I've had a couple friends who went to/currently attend Rush. Has anyone else on this thread had to make this decision?

(First post: heavy question. Sorry!)

i'll be starting my m1 year at rush this fall. Here are a few reasons why i chose rush instead of uic:

1)unless you got into the chicago campus for uic, i've seen peoria, champaign (i go to undergrad here), and rockford (my brother graduated med school from here) and they are all horribly boring. at champaign you'll go to med school with a ton of md/phd kids who only take 1-2 med school courses the semester you'll be taking 8. it makes it impossible to honor these classes.

2) compare the uic at chicago campus to rush's campus. it makes it obvious why tuition is more at rush. uic looks like in needs a few million to fix it up.

3) with the largest combined m1 class in the nation, my brother found that uic was terrible with financial aid. he said students would be weeks without any cash and would have trouble paying the rent because the loans would be delayed for weeks. rush has financial services that seems 100 times more compitent from what their med students say.

4) i personally find surgery appealing, especially orthopaedics, and rush has one of the highest ranked departments in the nation. recomendations from widely known attendings and chairmen help you match into better residency programs.

5) finally, i think rush has cooler facilities, and better extracurricular activities (volunteering and the ricsp program). also i'm looking forward to doing rotations at cook county general, one of the largest and most famous hospitals in the nation (just watch ER).

tuition is more at rush and thats one of the only pro uic categories i found. but the way i see it is being 170 thou versus 200 thou in debt doesnt really make much of a difference in the long run. doctors make relativley a lot of money to where they dont ever have problems paying debt off. i'de rather spend more money to make my experience for the next four years better.

hope this helps.

trapperjohn said:

i'll be starting my m1 year at rush this fall. Here are a few reasons why i chose rush instead of uic:

1)unless you got into the chicago campus for uic, i've seen peoria, champaign (i go to undergrad here), and rockford (my brother graduated med school from here) and they are all horribly boring. at champaign you'll go to med school with a ton of md/phd kids who only take 1-2 med school courses the semester you'll be taking 8. it makes it impossible to honor these classes.

2) compare the uic at chicago campus to rush's campus. it makes it obvious why tuition is more at rush. uic looks like in needs a few million to fix it up.

3) with the largest combined m1 class in the nation, my brother found that uic was terrible with financial aid. he said students would be weeks without any cash and would have trouble paying the rent because the loans would be delayed for weeks. rush has financial services that seems 100 times more compitent from what their med students say.

4) i personally find surgery appealing, especially orthopaedics, and rush has one of the highest ranked departments in the nation. recomendations from widely known attendings and chairmen help you match into better residency programs.

5) finally, i think rush has cooler facilities, and better extracurricular activities (volunteering and the ricsp program). also i'm looking forward to doing rotations at cook county general, one of the largest and most famous hospitals in the nation (just watch ER).

tuition is more at rush and thats one of the only pro uic categories i found. but the way i see it is being 170 thou versus 200 thou in debt doesnt really make much of a difference in the long run. doctors make relativley a lot of money to where they dont ever have problems paying debt off. i'de rather spend more money to make my experience for the next four years better.

hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the post. It certainly helps me. I'm in a semi-similar situation. You mentioned that Rush is well known in certain departments. What are some of the other departments? Thanks again.

thinmints said:
Thank you very much for the post. It certainly helps me. I'm in a semi-similar situation. You mentioned that Rush is well known in certain departments. What are some of the other departments? Thanks again.

they are ranked in ortho (8), neurology and nurosurgery (11), geriatrics (14), kidney (14), hormonal disorders (18) gyne, digestive diseases, ENT, respiratory disorders, cancer, and urology. and rush hospital was voted as one of the best in the nation in 2005. MS3 and 4th year you rotate and both rush hospital and cook county general.

trapperjohn said:
they are ranked in ortho (8), neurology and nurosurgery (11), geriatrics (14), kidney (14), hormonal disorders (18) gyne, digestive diseases, ENT, respiratory disorders, cancer, and urology. and rush hospital was voted as one of the best in the nation in 2005. MS3 and 4th year you rotate and both rush hospital and cook county general.

I was wondering this too. Thanks a lot for the info!

Congrats to all who were accepted to Rush. I am finishing up my third year and i am happy with my choice. We tend to match well, especially in orthopedics and radiology this year. Any questions about pre-clinical, clinical rotations. I've lived on campus, off campus, spent a summer traveling, done rotations at county, rush, and rush north shore. So shoot away questions

samyjay said:
Congrats to all who were accepted to Rush. I am finishing up my third year and i am happy with my choice. We tend to match well, especially in orthopedics and radiology this year. Any questions about pre-clinical, clinical rotations. I've lived on campus, off campus, spent a summer traveling, done rotations at county, rush, and rush north shore. So shoot away questions

Thanks for offering to answer questions. First, did you like living on or off campus more? Which one do most students prefer? Also, what are some of the factors that made you pick Rush out of all the medical schools? I'm trying to decide between my state public school and Rush. I like Rush more but the state school is so much cheaper.

Again, thanks in advance.

thinmints said:
Thanks for offering to answer questions. First, did you like living on or off campus more? Which one do most students prefer? Also, what are some of the factors that made you pick Rush out of all the medical schools? I'm trying to decide between my state public school and Rush. I like Rush more but the state school is so much cheaper.

Again, thanks in advance.

I think the first year and second year it helped living in the on campus housing just because you are in class all day, it affords you easy access to running back to the anatomy lab, and going back to school to study. The 1st two years of medical school is basically graduate/class stuff. Most students i think prefer/like living on campus M1 year, then like to move off campus. Im living off campus as a third year since the last thing you want to see is the hospital after spending 12 hours on the wards. I was choosing between Rush, UIC, and Mt Sinai in NYC. What made me lean toward rush is a)being in chicago b) the general happiness of the students there c) the administration is SO supportive, they actually listen to the student body d) the affiliation with cook county hospital e) the fact that it is private affords you closer co ntact with professors and teachers f) it has a very good name in chicago, people really respect Rush g) we all have to pay off debt, but we have a one shot deal at med school, so might as well be as happy as possible, and now that i have one year left to go, im reallly happy i chose Rush, and i think the people i have met here are down to earth, are not "gunners" and have diverse and fun interests outside of medicine. Please PM me with anymore questions, Im on Family Practice this month, so i have time to check SDN and help out

When did you start figuring out housing? I'm choosing between Rush and UIC and I think I like Rush better now.

chef_NU said:
When did you start figuring out housing? I'm choosing between Rush and UIC and I think I like Rush better now.

housing i looked into after may 15 and i definitely decided on rush. they will send you a packet with all the information

I'm still holding onto UIC and Rush acceptances, but I'm thinking of withdrawing my UIC acceptance this week. After I got my financial aid estimate from both schools, UIC actually turned out to be more expensive (I'm out of state). The only reason I haven't made the final cut yet is because I didn't make it to the UIC second day look, so I feel like I didn't give them a fair shake like I did Rush.

Ewww, UIC out of state tuition is horrendous. We'd be happy to have you on board if you do choose to withdraw your UIC acceptance. Let us know!

Anyone interested in tickets to the Pearl Jam show in Chicago Wed. 5-17-06 :horns: ....I have 2 good fan club seats available.....Face value....CATCH: you have to be a Ten Club member to transfer the tickets. PM me for details.

omar322 said:
I'll be going to rush this fall. for me i was deciding between mcw and rush for the longest time. after going to the second look day two weeks ago, i definetly decided to choose rush. i love the fact that we get to do rotations at cook county. i imagine this will be the greatest place to get hands on physician experience. i'm pretty psyched about starting starting in a few months. it just seems like this last semester of undergrad is taking forever.

hi! i'm pretty sure (90%) i'm going to rush :) I had a few questions that i sent to the class website concerning minor details but i'm still waiting to hear back from them.

1) i'll be out of the country june-july. do you think i'll hear back from student housing during that time? i already sent my application.
1a) when should i expect to hear back from student housing? i'm anxious to know how much of my financial aid package will be going towards housing costs, and whether or not i'm head for center court.
2) there are two ikeas in illinois. which one is the one nearest chicago?
3) when was your white coat ceremony? i know orientation is september 6th but i was thinking i'd like my mom to come up for the white coat ceremony
4) i'm comparing matchlists between Rush and Drexel. It looks like a lot of students end up in and around the Chicago area. i didnt' want to ask of the staff/faculty why/how this is because i didn't want it to look like i don't want to be in Chicago for 8 years. i loved Chicago, but i just want to know if students tend to stay because they're from the Chicago area/Illinois, or if that just so happens to be where students with a degree from Rush tend to go.

Thanks! <3

The Rush thread needs some more love, thats why Im posting here. Hope to see you all next year :)

Anyone else get the official financial aid award letter?

Whootman said:
Anyone else get the official financial aid award letter?

yes....I preferred the estimated award letter :(

Mine was almost exactly the same. Now I just gotta read about all this stuff so I can figure out what the hell it means.

Well future classmates, I totally just dropped the "I'm not going to your school" letters in the mail, which makes me officially a member of the class of Rush 2010!! I'm totally excited because before it was like I'm probably going there, but I dunno, these other places are nice...

So now I'm in it to win it. And I'm very stoked to meet and make friends with everybody.

Hey, here are some answers...

1) i'll be out of the country june-july. do you think i'll hear back from student housing during that time? YOU SHOULD HEAR BACK BY LATE JULY, YOU CAN ALWAYS CALL THEM AND TELL THEM TO EMAIL YOU THE INFORMATION AS WELL
1a) when should i expect to hear back from student housing? ONCE AGAIN, PROBABLY BY MID JULY OR SO i'm anxious to know how much of my financial aid package will be going towards housing costs, and whether or not i'm head for center court.
2) there are two ikeas in illinois. which one is the one nearest chicago? THE NEAREST ONE IS IN SCHAUMBERG, WITHOUT TRAFFIC ABOUT A 30 MIN DRIVE FROM DOWNTOWN
3) when was your white coat ceremony? i know orientation is september 6th but i was thinking i'd like my mom to come up for the white coat ceremony THE WHITE COAT CEREMONY IS ON THAT FRIDAY USUALLY SO SEPT 8TH
4) i'm comparing matchlists between Rush and Drexel. It looks like a lot of students end up in and around the Chicago area. i didnt' want to ask of the staff/faculty why/how this is because i didn't want it to look like i don't want to be in Chicago for 8 years. i loved Chicago, but i just want to know if students tend to stay because they're from the Chicago area/Illinois, or if that just so happens to be where students with a degree from Rush tend to go. IF YOU REMEMBER THAT 80-90% OF RUSH STUDENTS ARE ORIGINALLY FROM IL, I THINK IT TENDS TO BE THAT WAY. ALSO A LOT OF RUSH STUDENTS STAY AT RUSH, ADDING TO THE IL NUMBERS. BUT WE MATCH IN CA, NY, WA, ALL OVER, SO RUSH HAS A GOOD NAME THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY :)

Thanks! <3[/QUOTE]

Trapperjohn(like your name): the name of the hospital is John Stroger County Hospital or more commonly called Cook County Hospital. There is no "general" in the name. And it is new and beautiful.

hey samyjay, thanks so much!

It's official, I withdrew from UIC and will be attending Rush this fall. Cyall there = )

chef_NU said:
It's official, I withdrew from UIC and will be attending Rush this fall. Cyall there = )

sh1t, same here

Rush it is!

btw the rush class thread is the deadest of all the class threads

wtf is up with that ?

Welcome aboard! Yeah, this thread is pretty dead, but I assume it'll pick up a little steam as more people finalize their decisions.

Hey guys,

Sorry to invade your thread but I'm looking to see if there is interest in having a Chicagoland SDN meetup this fall!

I'm particularly interested in knowing when your classes begin and if you would be interested in spending a night out on the town with your fellow SDNers from Chicago area med schools.

PM me if you are interested!

Thanks,

Molly (Pritzker 2010)