Rush Medical College Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmouse2488

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!!

This thread is way too small. Where is everyone?

congrats soon-to-be rush peeps... any questions about rush lemme know

M3 RUSH

congrats soon-to-be rush peeps... any questions about rush lemme know

M3 RUSH
Hi futronius,

So I am going to be an M1 this coming fall and I already have an apartment for next year. I am looking for a roommate for the two bedroom apartment. Where do you recommend I post this information to get the maximum exposure? And I guess my other question is when do students usually start looking at housing?

Thanks!

The RUMC facebook page (or one of the class-specific groups) is likely your best bet at this point. There is also a website setup by students at www.rmstudents.com that has a classifieds section. If you're able to attend second look day, maybe you can meet prospective roomies there. And I think most students finalize their living arrangements by July or August since Rush starts later than most other schools. Hope that helps.

yeah. i am currently an m1 no one in our class knows the student website. many found roommates on the facebook group. so definitely check into that! if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

yeah. i am currently an m1 no one in our class knows the student website. many found roommates on the facebook group. so definitely check into that! if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Thanks abmd,

Do you know when Rush hosts its Second Look Day?

I'm joining this fine group as a recent acceptance to Rush! I'm pretty excited, this was my first acceptance and I guess I really don't care if I get any more. Rush was a good fit for me when I interviewed- I'm sold!

However- any suggestions as to where to live? I have children, so I've been advised to live in the Suburbs. Oak Park seems to be the place most people are referring me to. Any Chicagoites (Chicagoins?) have some input???

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm joining this fine group as a recent acceptance to Rush! I'm pretty excited, this was my first acceptance and I guess I really don't care if I get any more. Rush was a good fit for me when I interviewed- I'm sold!

However- any suggestions as to where to live? I have children, so I've been advised to live in the Suburbs. Oak Park seems to be the place most people are referring me to. Any Chicagoites (Chicagoins?) have some input???

Congrats!!!! People live downtown, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, South Loop. It just depends on what you are looking for and whether you have a car?

Congrats!!!! People live downtown, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, South Loop. It just depends on what you are looking for and whether you have a car?

I have a car, and a motorcycle as well (my current town had tons of motorcycle parking and none for a car). I would much rather prefer public trans if it is an option!! I could use that extra 'commute' time to study instead of curse out the person driving in front of me!

Wattya think?

I tried searching for the facebook group with "Rush Class 2014" but nothing seems to be coming up. Can somebody put up the link instead?

I have a car, and a motorcycle as well (my current town had tons of motorcycle parking and none for a car). I would much rather prefer public trans if it is an option!! I could use that extra 'commute' time to study instead of curse out the person driving in front of me!

Wattya think?

I would then recommend searching along the neighborhoods that match the trains Rush is near by. Blue line is the easiest. If you were thinking suburbs then Oak Park is a pretty good idea because its a straight shot via the train. Doesn't hurt to look into some of the quieter neighborhoods in the city like Ukrainian Village, Avondale, parts of west lincoln park. In general, it can be spotty though so you might need to do some more research about family friendly neighborhoods and narrow down from there. Check out the site http://chicago.everyblock.com, they will give you info about whats going on in each neighborhood including crime patterns.

www.oakparkapartments.com

i rented from this company in grad school, and when i got into rush I re-signed with them, they are GREAT!

and if any of you go with them- PM me and i'll tell you my name so I can get a referral bonus (the manager said he would give me $ off my rent for every person i referred from the class) or if you just want to know more about that company or the area in general PM me. i have lived in Oak Park/Forest park for ~3 years now and plan to stay.

edited to add: LOTS of their properties are right by blue or green line. my apartment i am moving into is like 2 blocks from the blue line. but even though blue line is more direct, the green line is good too because you can transfer to pink, and the pink stop actually gets you a bit closer to the Rush building. also, i believe that the green and pink tracks are smoother- sometimes riding the blue line feels like what i imagine going off niagara falls in a barrel would be like

Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone know how late Rush sends interview/rejection notification? I am still waiting to hear ANYTHING

So... I submitted my deposit and I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to be at Rush in the fall! I'm so excited, and just as PsychMajo said, it just seems to be a great fit!

In regards to finding a place, Mary, how far are these apartments from school? I'm tempted to live in Center Court for the first year or 2 just out of convenience in rental payments, proximity to campus, etc.

www.oakparkapartments.com

i rented from this company in grad school, and when i got into rush I re-signed with them, they are GREAT!

and if any of you go with them- PM me and i'll tell you my name so I can get a referral bonus (the manager said he would give me $ off my rent for every person i referred from the class) or if you just want to know more about that company or the area in general PM me. i have lived in Oak Park/Forest park for ~3 years now and plan to stay.

edited to add: LOTS of their properties are right by blue or green line. my apartment i am moving into is like 2 blocks from the blue line. but even though blue line is more direct, the green line is good too because you can transfer to pink, and the pink stop actually gets you a bit closer to the Rush building. also, i believe that the green and pink tracks are smoother- sometimes riding the blue line feels like what i imagine going off niagara falls in a barrel would be like

How many of you are going to the Second Look day?

Last edited:
Hi everyone...as the screenname implies, I'm an M4 here, finishing up my last few weeks at Rush. I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys might have about our school.

Congratulations on getting in!

So... I submitted my deposit and I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to be at Rush in the fall! I'm so excited, and just as PsychMajo said, it just seems to be a great fit!

In regards to finding a place, Mary, how far are these apartments from school? I'm tempted to live in Center Court for the first year or 2 just out of convenience in rental payments, proximity to campus, etc.

i plan on taking the blue line, and i think its about a 20 minute ride. That's all the way from Forest park, the end of the line. Oak Park is a few stops closer.

Personally I like it because I am getting more bang for my buck, a nice 1 br apt with new appliances for 850. 2 blocks from the train and literally adjacent to a library. But other reasons its good for me probably don't apply to everyone, which are that a) i have a dog, and their buildings are all dog-friendly, and b) i live with my SO and he works west of there, so moving any further east would make his commute a lot worse.

but as far as convenience of rental payments . . . w/ this oak park company you can pay online :) the last thing i like about my rental company is all (most?) of their buildings are vintage, which means made of brick. they are solid. unless you have terrible neighbors, you will probably never hear a sound. i never appreciated this til i moved into my current place, where a couple with a baby lives upstairs. they wake us up at 6:30 am every saturday. i cannot wait to move out and back into a vintage building. oh and vintage buildings have free heat because its radiator heat

Hi everyone, I got my acceptence from rush today! And guess what! It's my b'day too!! I love this b'day present!! I had a question: how do I accept the offer. Do I have to wait for something to come in the mail? Cuz the email only had the acceptance letter as an attachment.
Thanks

Hi everyone, I got my acceptence from rush today! And guess what! It's my b'day too!! I love this b'day present!! I had a question: how do I accept the offer. Do I have to wait for something to come in the mail? Cuz the email only had the acceptance letter as an attachment.
Thanks

You'll receive another e-mail in a week or so with information. You will have to send a $100 check to reserve your spot.

CONGRATS!!!

Bunny- congrats! I received an acceptance Friday, as well. Super excited about this one!

Hi everyone...as the screenname implies, I'm an M4 here, finishing up my last few weeks at Rush. I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys might have about our school.

Thanks for answering our questions. I noticed for the two most recent matches, 8 students matched for general surgery each year. Is it common for only 8 students a year to pursue general surgery.

Received an acceptance e-mail this friday - so excited!

Received an acceptance e-mail this friday - so excited!

Me too! Great news! See you all in a few months.

Should I go to "second look day" even though I'm 100% sure I'm going to Rush? Isn't the purpose to convince those still trying to decide? Or is there some value for those definitely attending?

Last edited:
Hi there. I have been searching through the Rush website for this information, but the site is so incredibly convoluted, it's a bit difficult to find it. Does anyone know what the new curriculum will be like?

Hi there. I have been searching through the Rush website for this information, but the site is so incredibly convoluted, it's a bit difficult to find it. Does anyone know what the new curriculum will be like?

From what I remember during the interview is that they are cutting down on the lecture hours to facilitate independent learning and moving to organ based curriculum.

From what I remember during the interview is that they are cutting down on the lecture hours to facilitate independent learning and moving to organ based curriculum.

Yes, this I know, but I haven't been able to find any specifics. I was just wondering what exactly will our schedules be like.

Yes, this I know, but I haven't been able to find any specifics. I was just wondering what exactly will our schedules be like.

I don't know about that. I hope to find out more on that during the second day look.

you will have lectures from 8 to 10/11/12 depending on the day. some afternoons you will have anatomy/histo lab or small group workshops for clinical skills or problem solving workshops. they are still working out how many blocks you will have but you will have one exam at the end of each block. also a lab exam if appropriate.

it's pretty much like every other block school

Hey I just got in for class of 2014 last week!! I'm going for second look day but I want to know if I could start apartment hunting before that because I'm from out of state. I wanted to know if anyone had any input on some places to look at that are good. Thanks

you will have lectures from 8 to 10/11/12 depending on the day. some afternoons you will have anatomy/histo lab or small group workshops for clinical skills or problem solving workshops. they are still working out how many blocks you will have but you will have one exam at the end of each block. also a lab exam if appropriate.

it's pretty much like every other block school

By blocks, do you mean Rush Med College will have a block schedule like stritch/loyola? Do you know if this means that there will be more exams than currently, where you only have midterms and finals?

Should I be expecting a big packet with info about how to matriculate (immunization forms, transcript requests, housing info, etc), or is Rush doing everything online?

I was accepted a few weeks ago but have only received a single page letter and some emails about financial aid.

Hey I just got in for class of 2014 last week!! I'm going for second look day but I want to know if I could start apartment hunting before that because I'm from out of state. I wanted to know if anyone had any input on some places to look at that are good. Thanks

Most tenants are only required to give their landlords 30-60 days notice of leaving. In the suburbs, the Oak Park/Forest Park area around Madison St has become really nice, but you can find some great places in the city for about same price. That far in advance, you might have better luck at a high-rise type building that does leasing through a management office. Also I highly recommend making sure heat is included in your rent.

Last year we got immunization and final transcript forms around may/june and then everything else just slowly trickled in throughout the summer. Even then we just got an orientation schedule, the book we had to read over the summer, and general information about Rush. We didn't get any actual schedules until after orientation. So be patient...it might be a little while.

Also for housing - you should be getting housing stuff soon in the mail to apply for center court (last year I did it online around this time, but can't seem to find the link this year), otherwise it will be tough to really start apt hunting now. Medical District Apartments is a high rise close to campus that some students live in, but I would really recommend having a roommate if you are going to live there...they can get a little expensive (about 1000 for a studio, 1200 for a 1bdrm and 1500-1600 for 2 bdrm). They are nicer than center court, but also don't include parking or any utilities in the rent (where center court includes cable, parking, and soon internet). You can fill out an application now to live in medical district and then you know exactly what unit you can move into about 60 days out from your lease starting. I live in center court now and am moving to medical district apts next year, so if anyone has any questions about either of those feel free to ask!

Last edited:
By blocks, do you mean Rush Med College will have a block schedule like stritch/loyola? Do you know if this means that there will be more exams than currently, where you only have midterms and finals?

i actually don't know what loyolas schedule is like, but no there is only 1 exam/block so you shouldn't have more exams, you can ask on second look though.

I was accepted a while ago, and I have only received minimal information in the mail.

I am assuming that since the curriculum has yet to be finalized (per the med student on these boards), the final packets are not done yet. It's a bit frustrating really. I want to start reading about everything I need to get done.

:/

the first two blocks have been finalized but you won't get schedules until you start. what do you want to get done? you should relax and just enjoy your free time :)

This may sound kind of silly... but what types of activities/events do they have for med students at Rush? Are there formals, outings, etc?

I've been waitlisted at Rush (boo :thumbdown:), it's my number 1 choice. But as Jill said during the interview day that waitlisted and accepted students get invited to second look day. What goes on that day besides learning about fin aid, meeting some more students/staff, etc...? I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to go since I'm on that dreaded waitlist and I'm currently out of state. Is there any social events after all the academic stuff? The evite has two conflicting times also. One says 9:30-7:00pm and in another part it says 9:30-3:30pm.

Would it help my chances of getting off the waitlist at all if I attend 2nd look? I really just want to know whether or not it's worth it to go.

For those who are up in the air for housing, you could try The Apartment People.
http://www.apartmentpeople.com/

They are an apartment finding service that is free to you (they get paid by the management companies if they rent out a place). The down side is that the market is limited to those who agreed to pay the AP for their work, but on the plus side, no appointments needed. Just drop in, fill out a form, and 30-45 minutes later, they will have a list of places and show you them that day.

As for what part of the city, that depends on what you want. CCG is incredibly convenient, and I personally think a good deal when you consider what you get for the $. The downside is that there is really nothing to do near Rush. More lively areas include the south loop, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Bucktown. You just need to decide what's important to you.

I found out about my acceptance in early March, and just found this! I am really excited to meet everyone and start this fall!

I am also looking for a place to live, and possible roommate?? I move up from from Florida at the end of July. If anyone else is looking for a roomie let me know :)

I was just curious that if in addition to recorded lectures for each class, does rush also has verbatim notes for each class? Thanks!

Did you guys take a look at the Financial Aid Award offer? Did anyone get anything interesting or unusual?