Rush University MS Biotechnology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know much about Rush University's MS Biotechnology? It looks like a great 1 year program, although kind of new. It says that most of their students get into their MD, DO, DDS, PharmD schools as well.

Just wondering if there is any info out there!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm also interested in this program. hopefully some current students will respond.

program seems good, I was told by admissions that last year they only had 4 students applying to medical school. 3 were accepted and 1 ended up in the caribbean.

Also this years class had 6 applying to med school, 3 were accepted already and the other 3 are still waiting.

Looks good but it seems to be to have too much emphasis on biomedical research; what with those experimental design courses and what not.

I was going to apply to that program but decided that the other smps emphasizing course work were more practical for my purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this program offer guarantee admission to Rush upon completion?

Does this program offer guarantee admission to Rush upon completion?

I wish...

i'm not even sure if there is any linkage b/w the biotech program and the medical school. I e-mailed them asking if there was but haven't received a response yet.

Looks good but it seems to be to have too much emphasis on biomedical research; what with those experimental design courses and what not.

I was going to apply to that program but decided that the other smps emphasizing course work were more practical for my purpose.

yea thats true, but at least the biotech degree is more tangible to real life than is an SMP degree. The smp degree is pretty much useless if you don't get into med school but if you have a masters in biotechnology, you might be able to get a job or something.

I'm a current biotech student, accepted to med school as well. I don't check SDN much anymore but you guys are welcome to PM me questions.

I've been getting a number of PMs, so I'll just post one of my responses for you guys, and for future prospective students who search for a thread like this.

gatewasani said:
Hey,

I'm really trying to figure out if I should attend Rush. I am trying to decide between Rush and RFUBMS, the smp. I really like Rush because it doesn't seem nearly as cut-throat but I'm worried that it won't help me get in to med school as much. I also thing that Rush would provide me with a more tangible degree to the real world so that is encouraging but my ultimate goal is med school.

1) Can you comment on how competitive and cut throat the program is? How difficult is it to get a high gpa in the program?
2) Do you mind if I ask what were your stats before entering the program and if you felt the program helped you get in?
3)What is the timing of the application?
What I mean is, did you apply before starting the Program and update the schools throughout the year or did you apply after the program and take a gap year?
4) Can you tell me how supportive the staff was and if the program has any linkage to the rush medical school.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am seriously considering this option, and want to make the best possible decision.

You sound like you are in a very similar position I was in.

1) I can't say anything about how your class will be, but our class is tight knit and supportive of each other. We only have 25-30 of us, depending on the class. Curves never hurt us. I've maintained a high GPA in the program, but I've busted my ass for it. It is difficult at times, but it's a masters program. This isn't undergrad anymore, so be prepared to up your study habits and understanding.

2) My stats were decent before entering, but I did not get accepted into med school my first cycle. Originally, 29 MCAT (first cycle), retook to 33 (this cycle). Cum GPA 3.8+, sGPA 3.7+. Did it help me get in? Couldn't have hurt. It came up a few times in interviews. Really depends on the school. I did the program more as a long term career choice, as I still want to pursue research while being a practicing physician. The masters would also give me a possible alternative if med school didn't work out.

3) I was accepted to the program by the time I finished my primaries, and updated schools with grades and grad letters as time passed.

4) Staff are extremely extremely supportive and receptive. Things change from quarter to quarter based on our feedback. Although many of our lecturers and professors also teach for medical students, there are no real ties to the medical school. I'm one of the successful med school applicants in the program, and I had a long discussion with the director of the biotech program. She told me that there are no ties at the moment, that she wants to change this/has tried to change this. How soon this will take effect or if will ever I cannot say.

I would say this program is more geared toward a future in research than directly getting you into medical school. It just so happens that most people use it as a stepping stone to phd, md, dental programs etc. I have friends who went the RFUBMS route, and they feel like their choice for them was right. My advice is, if you think you can get in without the SMP, and want to do research in the future, this program isn't a bad choice. I don't regret my decision (but again I want to do research in the future).

I just got accepted to the program. Still scoping it out. Any ideas on housing?

anyone here most likely going?

I'm reviving this as I just got accepted. Anyone here doing the program this upcoming fall?

honestly, if this program isn't linked with Rush Medical College...then what's the point?

If you want a career in biotechnology/research, then I guess it's good, but for students seeking medical school ultimately, I don't see this program as useful?

honestly, if this program isn't linked with Rush Medical College...then what's the point?

If you want a career in biotechnology/research, then I guess it's good, but for students seeking medical school ultimately, I don't see this program as useful?

I'm going into the program this fall, and I've heard nothing but good things. Having this MS degree will help show med/dental/professional schools that you are capable of doing graduate level work, so that you can redeem yourself if you didn't do so well in undergrad. Not only that but having the degree itself is valuable in that you can make a career out of it. Rush states that 90% of their grads from this program either get a job in the biotech field or go on to professional schools. After talking to the alums, they're aren't lying either. The program itself isn't linked because that's not it's main purpose, but it can be used as a major stepping stone that has proven to be tried and true. Not to mention the faculty that teaches these courses happen to be Rush med school professors. If you do well, you might get a persuasive recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! i was wondering how hard is it to get into this program?

hey guys! i was wondering how hard is it to get into this program?

I'm entering this fall, and this year, the class total is around 30 for the whole program. The admissions site spells out all the requirements here: http://www.rushu.rush.edu/servlet/S...Grad_College/content_block/ContentBlockDetail

But they note that one or more of these criteria can be waived, depending on your circumstances. It may too late to apply as the class starts Sept. 12 and Orientation is on Sept 7, but it doesn't hurt to visit the website and contact the director to see if there is a chance they are still taking applications. Good luck!

Anyone get accepted for this upcoming 2012 fall? What are people's thoughts on why or why not to do it? I'm thinking about going to Drexel for their IMS, should I even consider accepting the offer from Rush?

Are you kidding? Rush would be awesome. My uncle worked in a Lab at Rush for a year (as an econ major non trad student), got accepted to their med school, and is now an ophthalmologist/eye surgeon lol. Did you interview for the program Packerfan?

I didn't have to interview, just got into the Biotechnology program but am wondering about how useful it will be for getting me into med school. I also got into Midwestern's Biomedical Program which could help me get into their med school.

I got accepted into the program but waiting to hear back from others as well.

I got accepted here, but I'm not sure if I should attend here or Rosalind Franklin's MS in Biomedical Sciences since they offer an automatic interview at CMS after completion of the year. (Assuming you do well)

Anyone know matriculation rates from the Rush Biotech program into their med school by chance?

I was accepted into their 1 year Biotechnology program for Fall of 2012 but not sure if I should go. I was also accepted into Barry Universities 1 year accelerated Biomedical program and ultimately want to go to dental school. What do you guys think?

im going down to visit the program on monday, anyone have any questions they want me to ask or anything?

any recent updates on this program? Anyone get in recently etc?

Just got into the program at Rush and pretty sure I'm going. Has anyone received financial aid info yet?

For those who have already completed the program, what is the workload like? I'm trying to figure out about how many hours of class time I should expect per week, how many hrs of studying I would have to do on my own, etc. Thanks in advance!

Did you ever hear back from them?

Anyone else here in or on the wait list? Any idea if the wait list moves?

I'm wait listed for the program--- I applied really late (Mid June).

Did you ever hear back from them?

Anyone else here in or on the wait list? Any idea if the wait list moves?

I'm wait listed for the program--- I applied really late (Mid June).

They will definitely take people off the wait list as others back out- there's still 2 more months left. I applied early June and got accepted a few weeks later, right around when you applied.

After reading your post, it turned out that they hadn't received my final transcript so i forwarded that to them hopefully they can move me off the wait list!

Also, I noticed you asked earlier how the work load was. I obviously haven't finished the curriculum, but my older brother graduated from this program in 2008 and he told it was quite difficult, not impossible but you have to work hard. Also that it was fairly more difficult than his first year in medical school , but it was a good way to prepare for it.

Nice-good luck!

And thanks for the information. Other alumni I have talked to have said the same thing about the program being quite intense. I was trying to figure out if I could also work part-time next year, but it looks like that would be impossible.

Anyone else on the waitlist? Or anyone get off the waitlist? It's getting pretty close!

can i get a job with either the MS in biotechnology or the rush ms in bms? if so what is the expected salary?
Thanks

can i get a job with either the MS in biotechnology or the rush ms in bms? if so what is the expected salary?
Thanks

As far as I know, Rush doesn't have a MS in biomedical sciences (BMS right?). With a master's in biotech, you have a pretty good chance of getting a job in the biotechnology field or in a research lab somewhere.

Hi, my plans are to get into medical school, however I am taking a year off. In that time, I was looking into one year programs that I can do. I came across this one, but do we need any type of exam or MCAT score to apply to it? Also, does anybody know of any one year programs in Illinois that look good to med schools?! Any help would be great!

Hi, my plans are to get into medical school, however I am taking a year off. In that time, I was looking into one year programs that I can do. I came across this one, but do we need any type of exam or MCAT score to apply to it? Also, does anybody know of any one year programs in Illinois that look good to med schools?! Any help would be great!

There are many 1-yr masters programs in Illinois. Here are a few of them: Rosalind Franklin-Biomedical sciences, Midwestern University-Biomedical sciences (1 yr or 2 yr masters), Loyola-Medical Sciences, Northwestern-Neurobiology and Physiology.

Rush requires either a GRE, MCAT, or DAT score. The link below lists the requirements for admission.

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/servlet/S...ContentBlockDetail&rendermode=previewnoinsite

Just got into the program at Rush and pretty sure I'm going. Has anyone received financial aid info yet?
When did you receive your acceptance letter? I'm still waiting on mine. I had my interview late April .

I'm a current biotech student, accepted to med school as well. I don't check SDN much anymore but you guys are welcome to PM me questions.
@herewego when did you get your acceptance letter? I'm still waiting on mine