Rush vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what if?

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Right now I am having a hard time deciding between Rush and Tulane. They both have very similar missions of community-based health and public service which is what I am really interested in. I’m currently interested in working in some form of primary care with a public health focus long term. I am not from either location and both are equal distance travel from home for me.

Rush​
Pro
  • Cheaper ($54,000 baseline tuition)
  • Given small scholarship though only a couple thousand and am waiting to hear back about potential others
  • Service and Community Health based
  • Extensive community service opportunities (maybe slightly more than Tulane?)
  • Family Medicine Leadership Program (considering this as an option though wouldn’t find out until after my decision is made)
  • Large Metro Area appeals to me coming from a more rural background
  • Diverse Patient Population
  • Seems to have some strong research going on (though seemed like slightly less than Tulane)
  • Cook County Hospital
  • P/F preclinical years

Cons
  • New Curriculum is a concern for me since their first year doing it has just taken STEP 1 and haven't received scores.
  • More expensive COL although pretty marginal from what I can see.
  • No friends in the area
  • No public health program (would need to take a 5th year at a different institution)
  • Seems slightly more unknown outside of Chicago.

Tulane​
Pros
  • Have some friends in the area so have a small support system
  • Service and Community Health focused
  • Public Health Opportunities at Tulane (4 year MD/MPH is a big plus for me)
  • Diverse Patient Population
  • TON of student run clinics
  • Debakey Scholars Program so will have plenty of research opportunities
  • Seems to carry more “Name recognition”
  • P/F (though with internal quartile ranks)
  • Really relaxed student body
  • New Orleans is a fun and unique city.
Cons
  • $64,000 baseline tuition is a major bummer (haven’t gotten financial aid but honestly not expecting much)
  • A good of chunk of the facilities were not as nice as Rush’s
  • Not as large of a city and most of the state outside of the city does not appeal to me much

Honestly I’m so torn. I can see myself being happy at either school and both will get me to what my current goals are. Both have good matches into specialties and locations that I would be interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

I vote RUSH. Also to counter your point I would actually say the opposite is true - RUSH is extremely well known, perhaps above the school’s rank, in the medical community because the hospital is nationally renowned.

How do you feel about winters?

At Rush, you will go through harsh winters.

At Tulane, you sweat buckets from April - December.

What does your gut say?

I vote RUSH. Also to counter your point I would actually say the opposite is true - RUSH is extremely well known, perhaps above the school’s rank, in the medical community because the hospital is nationally renowned.

Really? I knew they were pretty similar but I thought Tulane was ranked slightly higher than Rush by program directors (48 for Tulane and 65 for Rush). I know Cook County hospital would be amazing to train at but I also know Tulane has some great clinical opportunities as well. That's why I keep going back and forth so much I guess. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you feel about winters?

At Rush, you will go through harsh winters.

At Tulane, you sweat buckets from April - December.

What does your gut say?

Thanks for the reply!

I mean I'm from the rocky mountain region so I have plenty of experience with the cold though slightly different and maybe not as intense as Chicago. I've also spent quite a bit of time in New Orleans at all times of year so I know the heat that I'd be getting into during the summer.

To be honest I thought my gut was saying Tulane until my second look day at Rush. Now I'm not so sure. I guess I really need to do some soul searching over the next week.

Really? I knew they were pretty similar but I thought Tulane was ranked slightly higher than Rush by program directors (48 for Tulane and 65 for Rush). I know Cook County hospital would be amazing to train at but I also know Tulane has some great clinical opportunities as well. That's why I keep going back and forth so much I guess. Thanks for the reply!

I was commenting on the hospital itself, not the residency or clinical training which I admittedly don’t know as much about.

I don’t think either school is substantially better than the other but they are different. I just picked RUSH for my own bias of Chicago over Nola.

Rush's new curriculum would be a deal breaker for me. For that reason I vote Tulane.