General Admissions & OTCAS Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT2Be17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from Rush yet?

Members don't see this ad.

No I haven't. I called a couple weeks ago and they said they had over 500 applicants and were sorting through them and that the first interview would be in November. So I am hoping we start to hear back soon.

For what it's worth, nobody will be accepted to the program before January 2017 - since the OTD program isn't accredited, they can't actually admit anyone until a later stage in the process. I don't think they've begun interviews yet, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got invited to an interview on Nov 28th! Guess they've begun.

I got an interview for Dec 16, too! I actually have finals that week, and I'd be coming from the east coast, do you think they would be okay with me pushing the interview back a week? Good luck with the interviews!

I got an interview for Dec 16, too! I actually have finals that week, and I'd be coming from the east coast, do you think they would be okay with me pushing the interview back a week? Good luck with the interviews!

I'm pretty sure they only do like one interview a month, but I'm sure if you let them know you'd be able to do either the November or January one. It wouldn't hurt to ask - I've heard they're super nice. Good luck to you as well!

Has anyone heard for December or January interviews? I am getting so impatient. Rush is my top choice

For those with the November interview, what was the dress code? I have an interview on Dec. 16th and need to figure out what to wear. Thanks!

Does anybody have family members coming? Just curious if many people are bringing someone

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just invited to interview on the 27th. I'd be flying in from out of state so the last minute costs are insane. I was wondering how the interview was for those who have already done it?
Also, with the program only being granted candidacy status, I am wondering how concerning this would be?
Thank you!!!

I was just invited to interview on the 27th. I'd be flying in from out of state so the last minute costs are insane. I was wondering how the interview was for those who have already done it?
Also, with the program only being granted candidacy status, I am wondering how concerning this would be?
Thank you!!!
hey hls,

i interviewed at rush late december. there are lots of prospectives at each interview date, and we are broken up into small groups for our interviews.

rush only has 4 interview dates (i think.) and so they interview lots of students on those dates.

if you would be happy attending rush, you should go to the interview. you get a good sense of the program, the faculty, and you get to speak to a panel of current students.

they said they accept some students right after the interview date, but that most of the interviewed students get pooled into the "waiting" pile, and they hold their decisions until they have interviewed everyone.

so i do think that you and the other prospectives that you will interview with will have as good a chance of getting in as any other interviewee.

as far as the candidacy thing, i would not worry about that at all. rush is a highly reputable OT school, and the candidacy status thing is just the usual protocol that the school goes thru in order to change from masters to OTD. its more of a formality than anything else.

good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had the interview today! There were about 25 prospective students. I really felt like I got a sense of the school and the program. I think if you are interested in Rush you should attend the interview. It is a great program. Also they are moving along with their status so I have no reason to believe they won't be accredited soon

Thank you both for the response and support! I just bought my plane tickets!

Thank you both for the response and support! I just bought my plane tickets!
I interviewed and was accepted there. They got their full accreditation status in December. So you don't have to worry about that! It's a really great school and they are super helpful and friendly at the interview.

Did anyone hear from rush this week?

Reactions: 1 users
I had the interview today! There were about 25 prospective students. I really felt like I got a sense of the school and the program. I think if you are interested in Rush you should attend the interview. It is a great program. Also they are moving along with their status so I have no reason to believe they won't be accredited soon
Congrats! Just curious, you thinking about accepting?

I interviewed 1/16 and have not heard back yet

Can anyone share any information about the Rush interview?? This will be my first in-person interview (on Jan 27th) and I'm a little nervous about the group setting. Is it a panel of interviewers with a bunch of interviewees fighting to answer questions? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone share any information about the Rush interview?? This will be my first in-person interview (on Jan 27th) and I'm a little nervous about the group setting. Is it a panel of interviewers with a bunch of interviewees fighting to answer questions? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
The group interview consists of 5-6 applicants in a room with 2 faculty members. You are given about 4 questions that everyone takes turns answering. You are also given a group activity. It wasn't too bad for me, though it just may depend on your group!

Reactions: 1 users
The group interview consists of 5-6 applicants in a room with 2 faculty members. You are given about 4 questions that everyone takes turns answering. You are also given a group activity. It wasn't too bad for me, though it just may depend on your group!

Wonderful!! Thank you so much for that info! It does make me feel a lot better about the situation :)

I interviewed and was accepted there. They got their full accreditation status in December. So you don't have to worry about that! It's a really great school and they are super helpful and friendly at the interview.

I went yesterday and that isn't entirely true. They have candidacy status right now (step 1/2). Molly said they have to accept their first cohort and then ACOTE comes and interviews students/faculty and observe to decide if the get the accreditation. They did say they recently got the highest accreditation for their masters program (10 years) so they will more than likely be fully accrediated soon for the doctorate.

I went yesterday and that isn't entirely true. They have candidacy status right now (step 1/2). Molly said they have to accept their first cohort and then ACOTE comes and interviews students/faculty and observe to decide if the get the accreditation. They did say they recently got the highest accreditation for their masters program (10 years) so they will more than likely be fully accrediated soon for the doctorate.
I guess in the anxiety of the day, I may have misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just submitted my tuition deposit to Rush a few weeks ago!

I found the interview process to be very positive and relaxed, and I got a great sense of what the school culture is like. The faculty running the interview day went out of their way to emphasize that potential students are interviewing the school just as much as they are interviewing us, which I felt took a lot of pressure off of the experience. Best of luck to all recent interviewees - hopefully we'll be classmates shortly! :)

Just submitted my tuition deposit to Rush a few weeks ago!

I found the interview process to be very positive and relaxed, and I got a great sense of what the school culture is like. The faculty running the interview day went out of their way to emphasize that potential students are interviewing the school just as much as they are interviewing us, which I felt took a lot of pressure off of the experience. Best of luck to all recent interviewees - hopefully we'll be classmates shortly! :)
Hi there! I was just wondering when you interview at Rush and when you were accepted. Did you apply early admission? Congrats, by the way!

Hi there! I was just wondering when you interview at Rush and when you were accepted. Did you apply early admission? Congrats, by the way!

I applied in mid-September, and I interviewed in very late November. I got an admissions email from them 2 weeks later, which was earlier than they told us to expect to hear back (they said it wouldn't be until January). No idea what the rhyme or reason was for hearing back so quickly - I knew some other people there who didn't hear back that fast but who were also admitted!

And thank you so much! Did you interview there?

I applied in mid-September, and I interviewed in very late November. I got an admissions email from them 2 weeks later, which was earlier than they told us to expect to hear back (they said it wouldn't be until January). No idea what the rhyme or reason was for hearing back so quickly - I knew some other people there who didn't hear back that fast but who were also admitted!

And thank you so much! Did you interview there?
Yes! We must have been at the same interview, November 28th or something like that? I remember them saying that they were not giving out acceptances until February, and on their OTCAS website it says that early admissions people would get accepted right after the interview and then the others in Feb so I am hoping that's the case because it seems like you applied early (I applied at the end of October I believe)! I've been patiently awaiting to hear something from them and I am starting to get nervous. Thanks for the info though, thats amazing that you got accepted you should be proud! Can I ask what your stats are?

Yes! We must have been at the same interview, November 28th or something like that? I remember them saying that they were not giving out acceptances until February, and on their OTCAS website it says that early admissions people would get accepted right after the interview and then the others in Feb so I am hoping that's the case because it seems like you applied early (I applied at the end of October I believe)! I've been patiently awaiting to hear something from them and I am starting to get nervous. Thanks for the info though, thats amazing that you got accepted you should be proud! Can I ask what your stats are?

That makes a ton of sense! I'm sure it was just based on the admissions timeline, like you say. And it looks like they just did their last round of interviews, so I'm sure you'll hear back really soon! :)

pre-req GPA: 4.0
general GPA: 4.0
GRE: 144 quant./164 verbal/5.5 aw
130 observation hours, trained service dogs as a student, and I work as an ABA therapist.

How about you??

Last edited:
That makes a ton of sense! I'm sure it was just based on the admissions timeline, like you say. And it looks like they just did their last round of interviews, so I'm sure you'll hear back really soon! :)

pre-rec GPA: 4.0
general GPA: 4.0
GRE: 144 quant./164 verbal/5.5 aw
130 observation hours, trained service dogs as a student, and I work as an ABA therapist.

How about you??
Holy crap! Amazing! I would be very lucky to attend with such intelligent students! This is me:

Major: Psychology, American Sign Language Certificate/Minor
GPA: 3.74
Pre-req: somewhere along the 3.8 range
GRE: I forget the numbers but I was 55th percentile in math, 75th in verbal, and 82nd in writing
40 hours observation in outpatient vocational services, 16 in pediatrics, 40 in acute care
I work as a Brain Injury Rehab Aid right now, did service work in developing a country, and undergraduate research!

Thanks for all of your help and positivity!

I interviewed at Rush on 12/16 and found out this morning that I was accepted!

Last edited:
I interviewed on 12/16 and was accepted this morning! So excited!

I just received an email informing me that I've been added to the alternate list.

I just received an email informing me that I've been added to the alternate list.

I just found out I've been placed on the alternate list as well. I wonder if they let us know what spot we are at..

Yep, same here! May the odds be ever in our favor lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am also on the alternate list!

I just found out I've been placed on the alternate list as well. I wonder if they let us know what spot we are at..
No, they don't :(. It all depends on the diversity of the class as the process goes on. It constantly changes so that's why they can't let us know.

No, they don't :(. It all depends on the diversity of the class as the process goes on. It constantly changes so that's why they can't let us know.

I don't know why I thought during the interview, Molly I believe her name was, said we could call her and she would sort of hint at if we should go somewhere else or keep waiting. But maybe I heard incorrectly?

I'm on the alternate list. Is anyone else slightly annoyed by this euphemism for waitlist? :p

I don't know why I thought during the interview, Molly I believe her name was, said we could call her and she would sort of hint at if we should go somewhere else or keep waiting. But maybe I heard incorrectly?

I remember her saying that too; you didn't hear incorrectly. You should go ahead and give her a call and see where you're at! I feel like they can only do so on phone calls so it's not like on the record haha

I just got an email that I'm also on the alternate list.

I was also placed on the alternate list. I'm most likely going to give up my spot - I'm not sure how helpful that is for everyone else given Rush's waitlist system, but good luck to you all!

I was also placed on the alternate list. I'm most likely going to give up my spot - I'm not sure how helpful that is for everyone else given Rush's waitlist system, but good luck to you all!
I was placed on the alternate list as well. With so many of us getting the same email, it kinda seems like they might have put everyone that hasn't already been offered an interview and meets the basic requirements on the "alternate list."

My boyfriend sat through the info session during my interview and that's what they told them they would be doing bc we were all great applicants.... So, I'm guessing there's about 60 on the waitlist? But I hope not bc that doesn't sound like great odds.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Some of you are on the waitlist that did not interview? I am waitlisted but I did interview! Crossing my fingers!