Russian med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LakmeSunscreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested to know and learn about Russian medical schools. I know this is a forum of Europe but since I found no particular forums for russian schools so I am trying like this. ;)

:luck: TEXTBOOKS. Can anyone suggest me the textbooks that are followed in YOUR school? I would really b happy 2 b helped:love:.
Are textbooks of R. S. Snell, Guyton and Harpers or Lippincotts the ones to be followed in your school? What is the name of your school?;)

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest you try the valuemd.com forum...they have a specific section for russian schools.

I think most of the Russian schools have a three year english program where the students also simultaneously learn russian, and from the 4th year on, they switch to the russian medium. However, this is beginning to change and many universities now offer direct 6 year medical programs like the St.Petersburg medical university. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to go to russia of all places?

I'd really suggest you not to take medical education in Russia.
Xenophobia is still the main problem here, and the education system is very awful.
I am now one of many foreign medical students in Russia, and with me there are numerous medical students who think that choosing Russia to study medicine is the biggest mistake ever done in life.

I recommend you to go to western europe, where the medical education system has been recognized all over the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I would like to add that unfortunately most of the Western European schools are taught in their native language programs.

If you want to do your medical education in Europe, I would recommend the Central European schools (the ones in Poland, CR, and Hungary)...some of these schools have a good reputation and are also CA-approved...which is a huge advantage when returning to the States/Canada. That being said, the tuition is more expensive than compared to Eastern European schools (Romania, Russian, Bulgaria, Ukraine etc.)

Xenophobia is still the main problem here, and the education system is very awful.
I am now one of many foreign medical students in Russia, and with me there are numerous medical students who think that choosing Russia to study medicine is the biggest mistake ever done in life.

I recommend you to go to western europe, where the medical education system has been recognized all over the world.

Pavlov, thanx buddy! I have been hearing similar things from my father and his friends. But do u think that later on transfering my credits to Moscow Medical Academy or People's Friendship or to St. Petersburg will help? Or would u still suggest me not to choose Russia?

Well I would like to add that unfortunately most of the Western European schools are taught in their native language programs.

If you want to do your medical education in Europe, I would recommend the Central European schools (the ones in Poland, CR, and Hungary)...some of these schools have a good reputation and are also CA-approved...which is a huge advantage when returning to the States/Canada. That being said, the tuition is more expensive than compared to Eastern European schools (Romania, Russian, Bulgaria, Ukraine etc.)

Thanx 2 u too! Considering a medical education in Europe would be nice. But what about Ukraine? Will that be a good place 2 study? Or can I transfer my credits to Poland or Hungary after completing my 1st or 2nd year here in Russia? Do you think they will accept me?

Looking forward 4 ur reply.:thumbup:

I think that for studying in any not-english-speaking country, even there's an english medium but we have to master the native language of the country since in medical school we have to interact in native language with the patients.

Pavlov, thanx buddy! I have been hearing similar things from my father and his friends. But do u think that later on transfering my credits to Moscow Medical Academy or People's Friendship or to St. Petersburg will help? Or would u still suggest me not to choose Russia?

I strongly recommend you to stay away from Russia.
The environment and the system here are not worthy enough.

If only there was some one who gave me this advice before I went to Russia, I'd owe my life to him/her.
+pity+

Hey Pavlov,

That's not true. In most of the central european schools, students are not required to be fluent in the native language of that country (czech, hungarian, polish etc.) They just have to learn the clinically relevant phrases. I know tons of upperclassmen in 5th and 6th years who can hardly speak the language.....but they can still communicate with patients regarding illnesses.

Secondly, many of these students either go to the States/Canda/UK/Australia/other European countries for their rotations so they interact with patients of those countries more than those from the Central European country they're living in.

Thanx 2 both of u. But then I need this one piece of advice from both of u: Do you know of any other medical school that is there to offer MD program in low tuition fees, e.g. around 3000 US $ and does is also comparitively good? What about Italy? Any MD programs there in English?

And yes Pavlov, what about textbooks that I asked in my first post?

Thanx 2 u all!:love:

And yes Pavlov, what about textbooks that I asked in my first post?

Thanx 2 u all!:love:

Which text book do you mean? I mean, text book for what subject?
There are many subject in med school and each of them has also many textbooks.
Here in Russia, they have their own text book from Russian authors, that I think you won't recognized if I mention it.
For your information, here in Russia, it's so rarely they use latin terminology for anatomical structure. They use their own language.

All the Western European medical schools are virtually free (although living expenses, books and so on can be quite expensive) and one also needs to be fluent in the respective language. There are no english language programs in Western Europe.

You can consider Romania, Bulgaria or Croatia (slightly expensive) if you're considering cheap schools or Poland, Czech Republic or Hungary if you're willing to pay a whole lot more. The reason I suggest Romania or Bulgaria is that both of them have just joined the EU so that's definitely an advantage for you in the future (in terms of working in any of the European countries or transferring from one school to another). Croatia is also said to be part of the EU soon so that might be something to look out for (and they have good ties with the States/UK).

There are no set of universally prescribed books for medicine. Each university usually has it's own set of published books but here in Central Europe, we use those texts more for reference. We usually use textbooks written by american/british authors which are standardized throughout the world (Eg. Netter, Clinical anatomy by Moore).

Here are the list of books I'm using in my 1st year:
Anatomy - Netters Atlas, Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore, Netters flashcards, Snell's Neuroanatomy, Neuroanatomy vols 1&2 (Petrovicky - university publisher), Platzer and Werner Vols.1,2 &3 (viz. topographical anatomy, internal organs and neuroanatomy), Grims vols. 1,2,3,4,5 (university publisher)

Histology - Introduction to Histology by Junqiuera

Embryology - Before We Are Born by Moore

Medical greco-latin terminology - University publisher

Czech - University publisher (Czech Step by Step by Lida Hola)

Genetics and Medical Biology - Elements of Medical Genetics by Emery, Introduction to genetics with a medical orientation (University publisher)

Biophysics- Physics with a medical orientation (University publisher)

Medical chemistry (elective) - university website presentations

New Clinical Trends in Experimental Anatomy (elective) - university website presentations, lecture notes

Medical Informatics - university website presentations, lecture and seminar notes, university of stanford, dartmouth, and harvard medical informatics websites

Cell Biology - university website notes, lecture and seminar notes

I'm sorry I didn't mean to write such an elaborate reply but this is just to show you that we generally use a mix of the standardized books + the university's local books (published by medical professors, Ph.Ds, and so on).

I'm sorry I didn't mean to write such an elaborate reply but this is just to show you that we generally use a mix of the standardized books + the university's local books (published by medical professors, Ph.Ds, and so on).[/quote]

NOT AT ALL! Thanu so much for at least giving me a general idea so that I can prepare a little bit b4 joining the school there. Also thanx a lot for refering to Eastern and Western Euripean countries where medicine can also be studied. I shall check them out on web now.

Buddy, suggest me one thing. In your first year, how do you make notes for studying? Do you simply go through the books or make notes of your own by using both books and class lecture notes by teacher? Besides, its so much to study, how do you come to remember all these stuffs? In which country u r? Do you think Ukraine will be a good option to consider?:love:

Which text book do you mean? I mean, text book for what subject?
There are many subject in med school and each of them has also many textbooks.
Here in Russia, they have their own text book from Russian authors, that I think you won't recognized if I mention it.
For your information, here in Russia, it's so rarely they use latin terminology for anatomical structure. They use their own language.

Its okay buddy, you don't have to take the effort 4 me anymore. You have already done a lot! Do u think ukraine would be nice option to consider? Also another question that I have also asked the other buddy: How do you study? Make notes by yourself, follow guide books or simply go through the textbooks? Beside, there is so much 2 study? How do you remember all these? :love:

I wouldn't really suggest Ukraine as it's medical schools are quite similar to the Russian ones from what I hear. Also due to the heavy propaganda by the agents, it sort of makes the reputation of these schools "dubious". So I don't know if those schools are that credible in terms of recognition.

I usually take notes in class. I takes notes from books for some subjects like histology but for subjects like anatomy i usually read most of the time and repeat the stuff...but if it's important i do jot down notes...and i always make use of websites amd take notes from those sites too...and i usually quiz myself from the websites by doing sample quizzes...

Pavlov:
How many of your classmates have successfully come back to practice/get residencies in the US? I mean obviously there are plenty of Russian doctors here, so they must be getting residencies somehow, right? Not sure how it works.

Also, do you think that your educational experience there might have been different if you were fluent in Russian? I'm wondering if the Russian-medium program is of better teaching quality than the English-medium one.
I would appreciate your input since I'm seriously considering going back to Russia to study medicine.

Its okay buddy, you don't have to take the effort 4 me anymore. You have already done a lot! Do u think ukraine would be nice option to consider? Also another question that I have also asked the other buddy: How do you study? Make notes by yourself, follow guide books or simply go through the textbooks? Beside, there is so much 2 study? How do you remember all these? :love:

Lakme, if you already be in med school, you'll find out your own pattern to study. Don't worry about how you'll study, coz you'll find your own style to study. :thumbup:

Pavlov:
How many of your classmates have successfully come back to practice/get residencies in the US? I mean obviously there are plenty of Russian doctors here, so they must be getting residencies somehow, right? Not sure how it works.

Also, do you think that your educational experience there might have been different if you were fluent in Russian? I'm wondering if the Russian-medium program is of better teaching quality than the English-medium one.
I would appreciate your input since I'm seriously considering going back to Russia to study medicine.

I don't know how many of my friends who takes practice in US, coz I am not a US citizen. If I am a US citizen, why would I go to russia to take medicine?
As far as I know, that to practice in US requires good result in USMLE.
And I never had a friend here in Russia who took and pass the USMLE, may be there are many russian doctors who passed USMLE but I don't know them. :p

I don't know why you think that I'm not fluent in Russian? I took a residency here in Russia, and there is not such an english medium for residency.
If I'm not fluent in russian, how do you think I could survive dealing with patients and dealing as a doctor in charge when I got a night shift in emergency room?
The english medium is usually for undergraduate level in class rooms, but even the student with english medium, they are forced to speak in russian to deal with patients in practice.

My suggestion for you, glow worm, is the same as I gave to Lakme.
But if you insist to go back to Russia, the choice is fully yours.