Rutgers Ernest Mario Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socruner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Online it says I was admitted into Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy. I am confused about whether this is the 0+6 program because i saw some places that there was a 2+4. Also, does anyone know what the coursework at this school is like and how a PharmD from Rutgers looks to potential employers.

Members don't see this ad.

Online it says I was admitted into Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy. I am confused about whether this is the 0+6 program because i saw some places that there was a 2+4. Also, does anyone know what the coursework at this school is like and how a PharmD from Rutgers looks to potential employers.

Why dont you call them...Admissions. Did you already complete your pre-reqs? If not, then I would assume your in the 0+6 program. Congrats by the way.

If it was the new brunswick campus it probably was 0-6.

I was admitted too!! I was actually pretty surprised because my SAT score wasn't all that excellent and I heard it's wicked competitive.

But the strange thing is that I probably won't attend. Pharmacy rankings aren't everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you transfer students heard anything from Rutgers Pharmacy yet regarding interviews? (transfer students from a different school, not rutgers school-to-school transfers)

Have any of you transfer students heard anything from Rutgers Pharmacy yet regarding interviews? (transfer students from a different school, not rutgers school-to-school transfers)

Nothing

I'm getting pretty impatient. Hopefully we'll hear something soon...

I'm getting pretty impatient. Hopefully we'll hear something soon...

Well, first off, they dont make actual acceptances until June 30th for transfers (mid-June for their students). I even heard from someone that they dont do interviews, but I doubt thats true. I emailed someone from my school who is P1 and transfered from my school. Hopefully they get back to me.

Well, first off, they dont make actual acceptances until June 30th for transfers (mid-June for their students). I even heard from someone that they dont do interviews, but I doubt thats true. I emailed someone from my school who is P1 and transfered from my school. Hopefully they get back to me.

I have a friend who is in her P2 year now, she transferred there from another school. She heard in April and interviewed with Dean Woodward. I believe he's the only one that does interviews. From what I understand once they conduct the interviews for their 0-6 students, then they open up for external transfers and then school-to-school transfers. On the other hand, my boss transferred into Rutgers (she graduated in the early 90s-ish) got her acceptance in July.

How many seats are typically open for transfers?

Last edited:
Well, this is my first post, but I figured I should share my experience thus far. I sent in my application in January, got an email for an interview offer on March 10th, and am going to interview with Dean Woodward tomorrow. If it takes as long as some of you have suggested to hear a yes or no, then I don't know how they expect any students to be able to hold out that long, unless they are NJ residents who applied nowhere else.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I'm a transfer student, currently a junior at the University of Arizona.

Well, this is my first post, but I figured I should share my experience thus far. I sent in my application in January, got an email for an interview offer on March 10th, and am going to interview with Dean Woodward tomorrow. If it takes as long as some of you have suggested to hear a yes or no, then I don't know how they expect any students to be able to hold out that long, unless they are NJ residents who applied nowhere else.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I'm a transfer student, currently a junior at the University of Arizona.

First of all congrats on your interview. Do you mind sharing your stats? I thought mine were competitive but apparently not competitive enough?

I'm holding out this long because SINCE I'm a New Jersey resident, going to Rutgers would save me about $80,000 in loans. I've gotten into a handful of schools and have my spot reserved at one of them, so it's not the end of the world if I don't get into Rutgers, but I'd like to go there because it would allow me to stay local and also save me a lot of money (and also because of the school's reputation).

First of all congrats on your interview. Do you mind sharing your stats? I thought mine were competitive but apparently not competitive enough?

I'm holding out this long because SINCE I'm a New Jersey resident, going to Rutgers would save me about $80,000 in loans. I've gotten into a handful of schools and have my spot reserved at one of them, so it's not the end of the world if I don't get into Rutgers, but I'd like to go there because it would allow me to stay local and also save me a lot of money (and also because of the school's reputation).

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm kind of hoping for the same thing at Temple, but luckily I'm cramming 3/4 scheduled interviews into one trip east.

PCAT from January was 95% composite with 98% in chemistry and 88 or 89 in biology, mid-upper 80's for reading and verbal.
3.59 overall GPA as of the end of Fall 2010 semester, probably slightly lower in just science. I think my PCAT score is getting me in the door, and I'm doing everything I can to utilize my smooth-talking skills to keep my foot in it. My first interview was Thursday at Temple, then Friday I went to SUNY Buffalo, and I'm flying back to Tucson after seeing Rutgers tomorrow. Probably won't hear any decisions for the next few very stressful days.

I've still got an interview to schedule with MCPHS Boston, who happened to have a program scheduled the same day as UB. The guy said they would probably have an April date for people in my situation, but if I get a yes from any of the other schools first, I'll skip it. And Thomas Jefferson has still not said a word to me, despite finishing their application and supplemental at the same time. Really frustrating...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm kind of hoping for the same thing at Temple, but luckily I'm cramming 3/4 scheduled interviews into one trip east.

PCAT from January was 95% composite with 98% in chemistry and 88 or 89 in biology, mid-upper 80's for reading and verbal.
3.59 overall GPA as of the end of Fall 2010 semester, probably slightly lower in just science. I think my PCAT score is getting me in the door, and I'm doing everything I can to utilize my smooth-talking skills to keep my foot in it. My first interview was Thursday at Temple, then Friday I went to SUNY Buffalo, and I'm flying back to Tucson after seeing Rutgers tomorrow. Probably won't hear any decisions for the next few very stressful days.

I've still got an interview to schedule with MCPHS Boston, who happened to have a program scheduled the same day as UB. The guy said they would probably have an April date for people in my situation, but if I get a yes from any of the other schools first, I'll skip it. And Thomas Jefferson has still not said a word to me, despite finishing their application and supplemental at the same time. Really frustrating...

That's quite a trip! My GPA is 3.51 cumulative and 3.75 math/science, but my PCAT is 82%. Its a relief to know that Rutgers has FINALLY started its interviewing process. I feel like Ive been waiting FOREVER (I submitted my app. in September)

Members don't see this ad :)

Email to the one you supplied on the application? Or was it on that Rutgers Application website thing, where you put in your SS# and pin? Or both?

Email to the one you supplied on the application? Or was it on that Rutgers Application website thing, where you put in your SS# and pin? Or both?

I used my same school email for both, and that's where I got the interview invite. The interview today could not have gone better. The dean was a great guy, very friendly, helped make the conversation flow smoothly, and he really seemed impressed by my preparedness. It's the interview I feel most confident about so far. Hopefully some other folks here start hearing back! He did mention that they're primarily 0-6 and fill remaining seats with transfers, so I suppose that puts me (and likely some others) at a disadvantage :(

Waitlisted :(

damn me too. at least it's not a full-out rejection. maybe there's still some hope.

When did you guys have interviews and how did they go? You're transfer students, right?

Edit: And how did you both feel after being interviewed? Did you feel you got along really well with the dean, or did it seem a little bit less relaxed/comfortable? I ask because I honestly couldn't have felt better. It seemed to me like we really hit it off, and so I'm wondering whether other people had similar takes on it only to be dealt the frustration of a waitlist offer. I don't want to get my hopes up based on how good the conversation was if others felt the same way, ya know?

Last edited:
No interview. I'm assuming that its the waitlist for interviews. And yes, I'm a transfer.

When did you guys have interviews and how did they go? You're transfer students, right?

Edit: And how did you both feel after being interviewed? Did you feel you got along really well with the dean, or did it seem a little bit less relaxed/comfortable? I ask because I honestly couldn't have felt better. It seemed to me like we really hit it off, and so I'm wondering whether other people had similar takes on it only to be dealt the frustration of a waitlist offer. I don't want to get my hopes up based on how good the conversation was if others felt the same way, ya know?

wait list before interview for me too. best of luck though! i'm hoping for a interview offer in may but i'm not holding my breath!

No interview. I'm assuming that its the waitlist for interviews. And yes, I'm a transfer.

wait list before interview for me too. best of luck though! i'm hoping for a interview offer in may but i'm not holding my breath!

Ahhh, I see. It's surprising that not many people have seemed to have much luck with getting interviews or admission at Rutgers. The dean did mention during the interview, however, the fact that the school is primarily 0-6, but fills remaining seats with transfers. I suppose that makes it a little bit more competitive for us. I check my email like a madman, but UB is still the only one who's told me anything.

Ahhh, I see. It's surprising that not many people have seemed to have much luck with getting interviews or admission at Rutgers. The dean did mention during the interview, however, the fact that the school is primarily 0-6, but fills remaining seats with transfers. I suppose that makes it a little bit more competitive for us. I check my email like a madman, but UB is still the only one who's told me anything.

You're definitely right about it being harder for transfers because of the 0-6 thing. It was worth a shot, though I wish they let more transfers in than a measly 20 a year (or whatever that number ends up being).

You're definitely right about it being harder for transfers because of the 0-6 thing. It was worth a shot, though I wish they let more transfers in than a measly 20 a year (or whatever that number ends up being).

Wow, is it really that few spots? Sheesh... I feel pretty honored to be considered then.

Dear Liebensaft: Would you please say something about the interview at rutgers? are they friendly or intimidating? How long did it take? Anything will be appreciated. I scheduled my interview on April 13th. I am a transfer too.

My stas: GPA:3.88 PCAT 94% composite (91% biology,99% chemistry, but a low score on Verbal--fiftysome)

I really need to do a good job with my interview. rutgers is my only choice. I cann't go anywhere else. (a long story)

Please give me some feedback about your interview. Thanks a lot

Dear Liebensaft: Would you please say something about the interview at rutgers? are they friendly or intimidating? How long did it take? Anything will be appreciated. I scheduled my interview on April 13th. I am a transfer too.

My stas: GPA:3.88 PCAT 94% composite (91% biology,99% chemistry, but a low score on Verbal--fiftysome)

I really need to do a good job with my interview. rutgers is my only choice. I cann't go anywhere else. (a long story)

Please give me some feedback about your interview. Thanks a lot

The interview was really great for me. It's one-on-one with the dean, which seems like it would be scary, but really was not. I got there early and the receptionist directed me to the med school cafeteria, then I came back, waited, and sat down with the dean. We talked about some of the courses from my transcript, and I saw that he had my PCAT stuff out too, which gave me a lot of confidence. He asked a lot of typical questions, like "Why pharmacy," but also things like biggest strength and weakness, favorite/least favorite courses, about job/community service/pharmacy experience, what I would do if I saw a student cheating on a test, things like that.

None of the questions were anything where I really felt disarmed or unprepared, so if you've interviewed elsewhere or read others' accounts, you shouldn't be too nervous. There was no writing sample, campus tour, meeting with a student, or anything like that. He was very friendly with me, seemed impressed by the answers I had, and in the end, we chatted a little bit about college basketball.

Your GPA is higher than mine, and the only PCAT difference is I got higher scores in the verbal stuff and a 95 composite. We're definitely in the same league academically, so just carry a good conversation and mention some specific things that interest you from their website, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I really should have come down to the cafe the day you interviewed. Perhaps, we would have met each other in person. I am at the forth floor of RWJ medical school-a grey building next to the school of pharmacy.

Hope we both can get in. I will hand you my thank-you note.:D

However, it seems that rutgers is not your optimal choice. Anyway, god bless you. what you want most will eventually happen to you.

Best regards

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I really should have come down to the cafe the day you interviewed. Perhaps, we would have met each other in person. I am at the forth floor of RWJ medical school-a grey building next to the school of pharmacy.

Hope we both can get in. I will hand you my thank-you note.:D

However, it seems that rutgers is not your optimal choice. Anyway, god bless you. what you want most will eventually happen to you.

Best regards

To be honest, one of my favorite things about the Rutgers interview was the solitude I had in the time leading up to it. At both of the other interviews I went on, there were a lot of other candidates present. Though it was totally expected, I feel like it threw me off a little bit. I knew that once I got in the room with someone one-on-one, I would be able to talk to them on the right terms, and that's exactly what happened at Rutgers. I'm glad to hear that you are familiar with the campus and the school. I will tell you now that if you just be yourself, make answers that sound educated, and generally present yourself as a good student who knows something about Rutgers' pharmacy school, you will make a great impression. Do whatever you can to make yourself comfortable. Plenty of others have said it before me and I will reiterate what they have said. All it takes is good conversation and friendliness. Present yourself as educated, aware of the students around you, and invested in the future, and you will do your best.

edit: forgot to mention this part, but I was only on the campus for about an hour or so. The interview process is about 40 minutes. Don't stress yourself out too much. EVVVVERRRRYOONE says it on here, and even though you might be skeptical since they all got into every school they applied to, trust them. Just be open and honest, and the conversation will be great.

a big big thank to you. I feel much better now.

Glad I could help. Just don't stress yourself out, like everyone says. And good luck!

hey good luck!! do u mind sharing your stats?

Sure, I have a 3.9 GPA from Stony Brook. I did not take the PCAT since its not required at Rutgers and it is the only school that I applied.

Last edited:
wow thats good!! im sure u will get in..good luck!! lets keep each other posted :)

Sure, I have a 3.9 GPA from Stony Brook. I did not take the PCAT since its not required at Rutgers and it is the only school that I applied.

Good luck. 3.9xx science GPA. 4.0 non-science. No PCAT. 3 years pharmacy experience. Waitlisted for an interview. lol

Good luck. 3.9xx science GPA. 4.0 non-science. No PCAT. 3 years pharmacy experience. Waitlisted for an interview. lol

Checked the Rutgers online admissions status thing today in class after not hearing from them via email or snail mail and starting to be suspicious.......

Camden undergraduate status: admitted (applied for kicks 'cause it was free)
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy status......admitted :cool:

Except I'm sending a deposit to Temple, so one of you lucky folks on the waitlist might be getting a call soon. :thumbup:

Checked the Rutgers online admissions status thing today in class after not hearing from them via email or snail mail and starting to be suspicious.......

Hey, congratulations. Do you mean we would not have chance to see eath other in school even if I am admitted too? lol.... at least you got what you want. Good luck to everything that gonna happen to you.

Hey, congratulations. Do you mean we would not have chance to see eath other in school even if I am admitted too? lol.... at least you got what you want. Good luck to everything that gonna happen to you.

Yeah, I'm paying my deposit and heading to Temple. In-state tuition will be nice, though Rutgers isn't very much more, but I just really love Philly and have a bunch of friends in the area. More rigorous demands for getting certified in PA (2000 practice hours) versus NJ (only 1000 hours -- Rutgers makes you do 1600) also makes me feel like in the event that I move to a different state, I'd have an easier time making the transition.

I'm sure you'll do fine at your interview though. Just carry a good conversation, act cordially and professionally, etc. Feel free to take my spot. ;)

So did you interview on 3/10 or 3/28? And then you were accepted on 4/07 right? I am just wondering because I had my interview last Monday (4/11) and wanted to know a realistic time frame for waiting for a response.

Nevermind, I see you were offered on the 10th, interviewed on the 28th, and saw you were accepted on the 7th.

Hi Yunium, thank you very much. I am a non-Rutgers transfer student (I already graduated with my bachelor's degree from Pitt). I would not worry too much yet, because I did that, decided to accept that I was rejected and then called for an interview. I would go to this website (https://www.acs.rutgers.edu/ugstat2) to check the status of your application and depending on what it says take the next step to call Rutgers admissions office (732-445-2675). Lastly, even if I am accepted (which I am not really sure), I am not positive that I would go to Rutgers for sure; therefore, that might leave an open spot for you :) Hopefully this helps and I'll be sure to keep updating if anything changes!

Had my inteview on April 13, have not heard anything from rutgers yet. Anyone who had a interview lately, please post your updates. How long we need to wait to hear from rutgers?

Hi ComeJulia,

I just called the Rutger's pharmacy admission office and it seems that Dean Woodward is still interviewing candidates. Also, he just left for vacation and will not be back until next week, so I think the earliest we might hear back is by the end of next week.

hi, pxr006: Thanks for your post. It seems that what we need to do is to be patient. How did your interview go? Dean Woodward was very nice to me. but he only asked me a few of routine questions, like " why pharmacy"
"any community/volunteer work?" that is it. it was about 25 to 30 minutes.
is it a good sign or a bad sign? How was yours?
Thank you in advance for sharing

I am a current P1 at Rutgers that transferred in last year. If anyone has any questions about the program or process just let me know. :thumbup:

I am a current P1 at Rutgers that transferred in last year. If anyone has any questions about the program or process just let me know. :thumbup:

Hi, thank god, we got an insider here. Nice to meet you! do you remember your interview? what was the time frame from interview to admission? How is your life as a transfer student?

Hi, thank god, we got an insider here. Nice to meet you! do you remember your interview? what was the time frame from interview to admission? How is your life as a transfer student?

I do remember the interview and I was asked all of the same questions in general. The interview to admission was probably different for me than it will be for you just because of differing circumstances. As far as life as a transfer student, it was a pretty easy transition (at least for me since I already had a degree) and made plenty of friends quickly. As a transfer, you will have a separate orientation so they will most likely be the first people you meet in the class.

Hi comejulia, the interview went basically the same way. It was about 30-40 minutes and he asked the routine questions that Liebensaft posted earlier in this thread. If you don't mind, what are your stats? Also, where else did you apply? And is Rutgers your top pharmacy school?