Rutgers (Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THE MTL

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just accepted into Rutgers (Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy). I live in New Jersey. I applied to the 0-6 year program. Did anyone else apply to Rutgers?

I just want to know if anybody on this forum attends Rutgers Pharmacy. How do you like it? Any concerns? or comments? Or stories you hear about Rutgers? etc,

Members don't see this ad.

Nope

Last edited:
yea, got my rejection letter yesterday. What are your stats and what your senior year schedule? I had a pretty damn impressive application. Multiple letters of rec from my AP teachers and a letter of rec from my boss at the pharmacy i work at, who happens to be an adjunct proffessor of pharmacy at the damn school of pharmacy. I have a strong suspicion they didnt even look at my application. Rutgers is so liberal and really strong users of affirmative action. The state pays them to take one part african american, one part asian, one part indian and so on. I turned my application in the second week of October and it was probably too late. The white quota was probably filled. Its sad that a school has to resort to this kind of attitude towards prospective students just to get a check from the government each month. I was accepted into every other school that i applied to which were Wilkes, USP and MCPHS. Thats the world we live in i guess.

Umm..well I attend Union County Magnet High School. It is the best high school in the state. I have a 3.7 GPA and thats unweighted. Which means Honor classes and AP classes dont push ur GPA above 4.0. I take: Ap Chemistry, Ap Calculus, Statistics, and AP Biology (last year). I take more courses, but these are the ones that look good on resume.

Also, the whole quota thing is bull. I kno ur mad but its Bull. I applied in November, but the thing is that they check everyone's application at the same time. They dont do rolling admissions for Pharmacy. Everyone gets the letter at the same time. Rutgers Pharmacy went by the priority deadline. I went to the orientation and they explained it.

Also, Iono why you have all those letters of rec. from all those teachers. There is NO requirement for that. And I went to the orientation and they said that none of that stuff helps. Rutgers is strictly a transcript school. They go by ur grades! Thats why there was no requirement for any essays or letters of rec.

Also, you shouldnt be so mad. Do you kno the acceptance rate of Rutgers Pharmacy? It was about 6%. That is really really low. Ivy league schools are higher than that at 9%. USP is like at 30% and MCPHS is in the 30%'s. Relatively easy programs to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
q

Last edited:
dont think for one second that the quota is bull. if you were head of rutgers financial department i guarantee you would be loving that state check that comes every month. universities do get money from the government to support affirmative action

I think it is because if u are qualified for the school they would take you. My friend was accepted and she is HIGHLY qualified. Im talking her average is like 98.

Rutgers is extremely competitive at about 6% acceptance rate and it is very heard to get into when you have SCARY SMART people applying.

So dont blame nothing but the approx. 6% acceptance rate.

I really don't think the acceptance rate is as low as 6%. Maybe 13%, but definitely not 6%. A good amount of kids from my high school got into the program.

And I really don't think you should be blaming your rejection on race.
I'm white and I applied in October as well and I got in.
And my SAT scores weren't incredible either.

And like the other person said, there really was no reason for you to send in a bajillion recommendations, because they don't look at any of that stuff.
All that matters are SAT scores and GPA and the courses you've taken in high school.
My SAT was just a little above average at 2120. And my GPA wasn't amazing either. And I just sent in one recommendation from my guidence counselor.

So maybe either your SAT or your GPA were really low. IDK.
Or maybe you didn't take challenging enough courses in high school.
But, seriously, don't use affirmative action and the whole race card as an excuse for not being accepted. That's insulting.
Just accept that you weren't accepted because you weren't qualified in some area of your application.

Or you may have been rejected because you are out-of-state. Are you out-of-state?
Because I know that it is a lot easier to get in you are in-state than out-of-state.

Yea, i definently do not think that the pharmacy acceptance rate is 6%. i applied in early january and i was accepted. I got my acceptance letter early february. i don't kno how i was accepted....i have like a 3.3 unweighted but my SAT score is a 2130.

Hi, I am currently a high school senior and I have been accepted into the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy but I am very confused. I am confused whether this means that I have been accepted into the 2+4 program/6 year program and whether I am guaranteed admission into my first professional year as long as I keep my grades up. Also, do I have to take the PCAT? Any help concerning these questions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7736777#post7736777

Hi, I am currently a high school senior and I have been accepted into the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy but I am very confused. I am confused whether this means that I have been accepted into the 2+4 program/6 year program and whether I am guaranteed admission into my first professional year as long as I keep my grades up. Also, do I have to take the PCAT? Any help concerning these questions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Hi, I'm a P3 student at RU. if you were accepted to the New Brunswick campus, you are in the 6 year program - you start there and finish there. If you were accepted to newark or camden you are in the 2+4 year program - you start at one of these places for your pre-professional years then transfer to NB for the 4 professional years.

As long as you keep your GPA above a 2.0 (I believe) you stay in the program. Once you get into the professional years, you have to keep a 2.4.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Hey, I was just accepted into Rutgers (Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy). I live in New Jersey. I applied to the 0-6 year program. Did anyone else apply to Rutgers?

I just want to know if anybody on this forum attends Rutgers Pharmacy. How do you like it? Any concerns? or comments? Or stories you hear about Rutgers? etc,

What were your SAT scores if you don't mind me asking? My GPA was higher than yours and I got a rejection letter. I took the same number of APs as you as well and I attend the same campus as you do. My friend in school had very low SAT scores (than the average for RU Pharm.), a lower GPA than you, only two APs and she got in. That gets me mad. :mad: We're both minorities too. I had a lot of volunteer hours, had the extracurricular activities, I don't know what I did wrong. :confused:

They don't process them all together. I got my rejection two weeks before she got her accceptance.

Stinks but what can you say? I feel like I wasn't adequately reviewed but oh well. Two years pre-pharm, here I come.

yea, got my rejection letter yesterday. What are your stats and what your senior year schedule? I had a pretty damn impressive application. Multiple letters of rec from my AP teachers and a letter of rec from my boss at the pharmacy i work at, who happens to be an adjunct proffessor of pharmacy at the damn school of pharmacy. I have a strong suspicion they didnt even look at my application. Rutgers is so liberal and really strong users of affirmative action. The state pays them to take one part african american, one part asian, one part indian and so on. I turned my application in the second week of October and it was probably too late. The white quota was probably filled. Its sad that a school has to resort to this kind of attitude towards prospective students just to get a check from the government each month. I was accepted into every other school that i applied to which were Wilkes, USP and MCPHS. Thats the world we live in i guess.
Same exact situation here!

I applied to Rutgers, but I got into Wilkes, USP, U Pitt, Duquesne, etc.

Rejected from URI and RU :(

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you keep your GPA above a 2.0 (I believe) you stay in the program. Once you get into the professional years, you have to keep a 2.4.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Generally, when you get into schools for a Doctorate, anything under a B and you don't pass the class. So keep that in mind too!

Anyone knows how many applicants are they accepting? I'm applying as a transfer student and I'm still waiting. I called and they said they will start mailing out stuff Mar. 15.

I am a student at Rutgers pharmacy and I can tell you that Rutgers pharmacy is one of the most competitive schools to get into in the east coast. It's right at the center of all the pharmaceutical companies, and it's fellowship program is #1 in the nation. Students at rutger's don't all just go into retail, it's one of the few schools where there's a lot of diversity in career paths, so they're looking for an all-around candidate.

For transfers, forget about it. My class had 1,700 applications for college to college transfers and only 10 got accepted. Every year they only take in about 10-15 transfer students. I know many people with 4.0 gpa that were denied. The important thing to have a an all-around application, you need work experience/ leadership too not just the grades.

I am a student at Rutgers pharmacy and I can tell you that Rutgers pharmacy is one of the most competitive schools to get into in the east coast. It's right at the center of all the pharmaceutical companies, and it's fellowship program is #1 in the nation. Students at rutger's don't all just go into retail, it's one of the few schools where there's a lot of diversity in career paths, so they're looking for an all-around candidate.

For transfers, forget about it. My class had 1,700 applications for college to college transfers and only 10 got accepted. Every year they only take in about 10-15 transfer students. I know many people with 4.0 gpa that were denied. The important thing to have a an all-around application, you need work experience/ leadership too not just the grades.

I talked to one of the admission advisors and she said that for last year the number of transfer students accepted were 54. She also said that they will not view transfer applications until May! :(

Yea, i definently do not think that the pharmacy acceptance rate is 6%. i applied in early january and i was accepted. I got my acceptance letter early february. i don't kno how i was accepted....i have like a 3.3 unweighted but my SAT score is a 2130.

omg

How'd u get in?
Sooo lucky

I doubt I'll be able to get into this with a 3.3 GPA unweighed :(

I got in last year and the acceptance rate was somewhere around 6-8%. They said it was about 4,000 applicants and only 264 were accepted. Either way, its def. a really low percentage.

Last edited:
What were your SAT scores if you don't mind me asking? My GPA was higher than yours and I got a rejection letter. I took the same number of APs as you as well and I attend the same campus as you do. My friend in school had very low SAT scores (than the average for RU Pharm.), a lower GPA than you, only two APs and she got in. That gets me mad. :mad: We're both minorities too. I had a lot of volunteer hours, had the extracurricular activities, I don't know what I did wrong. :confused:

They don't process them all together. I got my rejection two weeks before she got her accceptance.

Stinks but what can you say? I feel like I wasn't adequately reviewed but oh well. Two years pre-pharm, here I come.

Volunteer hours and extracurricular activities dont matter in the admission process. Well, my high school (Union COunty Magnet) doesnt really go by GPA and they have a crap converter, so 3.7 with the converter thing, but my high school goes by QPA. QPA is outta 100 and I had a 92. In any normal high school that would be a 4.0 (probi even more because of AP/honors classes I took).

Your right about them not processing them together. One of my friends was accepted in Nov. while it took me till February.

I talked to one of the admission advisors and she said that for last year the number of transfer students accepted were 54. She also said that they will not view transfer applications until May! :(

Transfer students acceptance depends on the amount of kids in the 6 year program that drop out. So basically, a seat has to open up for a transfer student.

Does the RU Industry Fellowship give preference to RU PharmDs?

I don't believe that number for one second for a multitude of reasons:

1. I am here, on campus, and there is NO WAY there are 54 new faces in the program for c/o 2012.

2. With our 2008 accreditation ACPE has mandated that RU decrease it's class size - they would not accept 54 new students.

3. over 300 students are accepted into the 0+6 program with the thought process that ~50 will drop out prior to year 3. The ultimate goal is a graduationg class of under 200. In order for 54 students to have been accepted as a transfer, the incoming class would have to have dropped below 200 already by year 3.

I think she mistook your question - 2+4 Newark and Camden students are also consider "transfers." THAT must be who she is talking about...which seems about right. It is also one of the last 2+4 transfer classes, as that track has been eliminated.

Like I said, I transferred in in 2006. I was a college-to-college transfer from RU undergrad. My stats:

GPA/science GPA: 3.4/3.6
PCAT: 95th percentile
BA Cell Bio
Completed internship at Wyeth Pharmaceuticals

~10 students transferred into my class - the majority had BA's. I didn't find out until the end of June, so be prepared to wait.

Remember, Rutgers is top 25 school with a long history and an established reputation. They have no interest in "making it easy" or "giving people chances" - they will accept the best student for the program, period.

If you are/will be accepted - WELCOME! I love it here. If not, don't be discouraged (especially as a transfer) it is VERY difficult.

Some words of wisdom - Personal statement and recommendation letters matter a LOT. The Dean had my statement out when I went for the interview and basically told me that it (along with a LOR from my undergrad research advisor) are what got me throuhg the door. Yes, grades are important, but you need more.

Thanks for that information, RutgersEMSOP, that was very helpful.

I applied to RU Pharmacy and just found out I have an interview. I have a bachelor's degree and 6 years of work experience in an unrelated field; 4.0 science gpa and 95th percentile composite PCAT.

Do you happen to have any idea how many of those they interview get accepted? I know it's ridiculously competitive.

Being a P1 at Rutgers who was a college-to-college transfer, I can tell you that the number of college-to-college and external transfers was 30 students. (Like RutgersEMSOP said, there are also 2+4 students from Newark and Camden. In addition, there are students from Montclair and Stockton 2 or 3+4 programs. None of these people are included in that 30.) I can also tell you that the previous year (Class of 2011), the number was significantly lower (around 10-15 students). Our class (2012) is currently around 215 students--I'm not sure of the exact number.

How many people they take from the interview really does depend on how many people from the current 2nd pre-professional year (Class of 2013) aren't retained. At this point, the adcom doesn't even know how many people they want to take yet. And I echo RutgersEMSOP's sentiments. Some years they just don't have the space to take all of the extremely qualified applicants who apply.

I also just received notice for an interview as a transfer student. I am more interested in finding out how to best prepare for the interview. Has anybody already had their interview and would you be willing to share how the interview was conducted, what types of questions, how many interviewers etc...

I too just received notice that an interview is requested. Can anyone provide some insight as to how the interview is structured? Any information would be great!! Thanks :)

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and by far, I found the topics interesting and useful.

Noted that transfer rates in Rutgers are pretty low. Wonder whether anyone could enlighten me on their typical profiles - GPA/PCAT/working experience etc?

I'm actually looking to apply as a transfer student to Rutgers. I have an overseas (non-US) pharmacy degree with 3 years of working experience as a hospital pharmacist (I'm a registered pharmacist back in my country). As I'll be practising in the US, I'll need to have a PharmD. My GPA is 3.75 (not sure what you guys meant by weighted/unweighted) and will be taking PCAT in Oct 2009.

Do I fit into the typical profile of a transfer student? Or do Rutgers not give much consideration to applicants like me?

Thanks for the info!

Hi, I will be a high school senior this coming year and I was wondering if I had a chance at getting into the Rutgers Pharmacy program.

Sex: Female
Ethnicity: half Taiwanese, half Indian
Parents: divorced

GPA: 3.5 unweighted
SAT Score: 2060
Bio SAT II Score : 760
History AP Exam Score: 5
-I will be retaking the SAT I's in October and taking Math II SAT II's in November
-I am also taking the AP Calc, AP Lit, AP Gov, and maybe AP Spanish tests in my senior year

Editor in Chief of Yearbook
former Photography editor of Yearbook
Historian of National Honors Society
member of Social Studies Honors Society
attended two semesters of UMDNJ's Premedical Program
shadowed a doctor at Brigham and Women's Hospital at Harvard University
nine years of commitment to one swimming team

around 50-70 hours of community service (I plan to get 100+)
participated in 4-5 annual Rose Bud swimathons for Cystic Fibrosis
participated in 3-4 annual Breast Cancer walks in New York and at my local JCC/YMCA

I live in New Jersey so my current plan is to attend Rutgers University and apply for entrance into their Pharmacy or Business Program, but aside from that I am not sure which other colleges I should be applying to. I do not think I have a chance at an Ivy League and even if I did get in I definitely could not afford it.

Do you, or anyone for that matter, have any advice as to which colleges I should be applying to, my chances of getting in, and the amount of financial aid at each college (ex: chances of me getting a scholarship, etc)? I was also wondering what the procedures are for asking a college about financial aid.

Oh yeah, I was thinking of majoring in either something biology or management related, which is why I was thinking of going to either the Rutgers Pharmacy or Business Program. I'd also like to know which Ivy League you think I have a chance at getting into, if I did decide to apply.

If you can help, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks! (=

Hello everyone!

I recently (yesterday) found out I was accepted into the RU Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy. I do not have a comparatively amazing high school record. 4.2 weighted GPA and only 1940 SAT (590 cr 720 Math 630 Wr). Class rank is 3 out of 198. Based off of the AMAZING records of others who have applied (I mean over qualified almost) I can not help but think that acceptance is not based solely off of SAT I scores. I do have a considerable number of extra curriculars under my belt though which might have boosted my application. Honestly, it was only until researching on my own today that I realize just how under qualified I seem (if considering GPA, ACT, SAT I, and SAT II scores alone). I'll end by saying that anyone applying should be confident if they have an SAT I score of 1900+ and high grades (primarily As) and some AP courses as well. Any questions are welcome!

Hello everyone!

I recently (yesterday) found out I was accepted into the RU Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy. I do not have a comparatively amazing high school record. 4.2 weighted GPA and only 1940 SAT (590 cr 720 Math 630 Wr). Class rank is 3 out of 198. Based off of the AMAZING records of others who have applied (I mean over qualified almost) I can not help but think that acceptance is not based solely off of SAT I scores. I do have a considerable number of extra curriculars under my belt though which might have boosted my application. Honestly, it was only until researching on my own today that I realize just how under qualified I seem (if considering GPA, ACT, SAT I, and SAT II scores alone). I'll end by saying that anyone applying should be confident if they have an SAT I score of 1900+ and high grades (primarily As) and some AP courses as well. Any questions are welcome!

Bust your ass in pharmacy school and don't look to the past. Good luck.

Hello everyone!

I want to know if I have a chance at getting into the 0-6 pharmacy program. :)

GPA: 3.9 (unweighted)
SAT score: 1800
Rank: top 3-5% (guidance counselor didn't confirm to me yet...)

Classes taken by end of high school:
-English Honors I,II,II; English IV AP
-Bio Honors, Chem Honors, Physics Honors, Bio AP
-World History Honors, American History I & II AP
-Algebra II Honors, Geometry Honors, Pre-calc Honors, Calc AP

Extra: 3 years marching band/concert band, 1 year community band, 1 year orchestra, botany club, robotics club, science league, math league, Honor Society, Distinguished Honors, Youth Choir at church, flute at church, helping out with a Bible school program for kids

Hi everyone,
Since this is a state school, how much preference do they give to in-states??