Rutger's Post-Bacc This Summer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcg179

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been persusing this site for some time and have jsut recently decided to join. Such a warm feeling to see a community that shares the same passion for healthcare. As a non-traditional student who will be beginning the long journey of getting into medical school, I thought I would introudce myself and hopefully contribute to this forum.

Brief Bio:

Graduated from Penn State University Park 2002: B.S. Accounting
g.p.a. : 2.56 (Significant health problems, family crisis) (Honor student in HS with numerous A.P. classes. Not lacking the academic ability, although numbers don't show it!!)

Enrolled in General Chem I/II/Lab beginning June 1st. at Rutgers.
Will have my interview for the Post Bacc Certificate Program this Friday!

Financial Analyst with KPMG and Accenture since 2002

EMT-B/D, Volunteer with Big Brother Big Sisters, and numerous other volunteer experience in hospitals and schools.

I suppose the plan is this: Rock the post-bacc, rock the MCAT in April '05 and then receive an acceptance letter from a DO school (First choice between PCOM and UNECOM).

If anyone would like to make any comments, share any stories, or merely open up a dialogue with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

To everyone else, best of luck!!

-J

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent. You might just be in my class wit me this summer then. I enrolled for Gen Chem 1 and 2 at Rutgers New BRunswick for this summer as well starting June 1. Wanna lab partner up wit me ? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Superfly,

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, I will be taking GenChem at the Newark Campus and the remainder of the Post-Bacc courses at New Brunswick!

Still doesn't rule out study time!

oh how come ur taking genchem at newark? Why arent u just taking everything at New Brunswick? Scheduling conflicts?

When I first started researching Post-Bacc programs, I only had information on the one conducted at the Newark campus. As this is also the one listed on the AAMC website. So, I went ahead and signed up and registered for my first round of summer classes. As I continued to research, I found out that New Brunswick had a post-bacc program. In fact, I firmly believe that the NB program is much more structered. It has both a certifictate option and an early application option for qualified students, while Newark has no such options.

I have my interview with Dr. Ukachukwu (spelling?) this Friday who will hopefully tell me that I can enroll in the certificate option :D

On a side note: I mentioned before in another post that I have been reviewing the Gen Chem section in the Kaplan MCAT review book, which I certainly find most helpfull. But, does anyfind find it counterproductive to start intense MCAT prep this early in the game? I plan to take the test April '05. I suppose if anything, study time now, will make the 3-5 month prior to the test a little bit easier. Just a thought...

And one more side note (sitting in the office has got me thinking away). If I take the April '05 MCAT, (I will then be officially be done with my post-bacc in may) I would be applying for Fall '06 matriculation, correct? Therefore, I am curious about that year gap, the "glide year" as I am learning it is called. Do most students continue to take advanced level sciences or other kind of academic prep?

Thanks for all the info!

Hi, I'm goign to start my post bacc program at rutgers newark. And i was wondering if anyone can advice me wheather to take bio or chemistry first. Also
are there any form of financial aid or loans offered? I'd really appreciate the advice. Does anyone know what professors are good at chemisty (wasnt good at chem in h.s).

THanks!

I plan on applying to Rutgers in the Fall. What is the difference between the certificate option and the other option. In other words, is there an advantage to the certificate option. I will probably call them to find out, but I thought you guys might know.
thanks

Hi, New brunswick's program has an accelerated program, and it has a linkage program while newark doesnt. good luck.

QUOTE=Beautifulchild]I plan on applying to Rutgers in the Fall. What is the

difference between the certificate option and the other option. In other words, is there an advantage to the certificate option. I will probably call them to find out, but I thought you guys might know.
thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi, Did anyone finish their post bacc program at rutgers-newark campus? I' d really appreciate any advice and information. Also is there any financial aid?

thanks

sk111 said:
Hi, Did anyone finish their post bacc program at rutgers-newark campus? I' d really appreciate any advice and information. Also is there any financial aid?

thanks

i did the postbacc at the newbrunswick campus. If you are part of postbacc program i believe u wont be considered matriculated since you are not going for a degree thus no financial aid. However there are loopholes. What i did was reapply as an undergrad going for a second degree while still being part of the postbacc program. Once you become matriculated u can do your thing and get aid at same time. But then again this was all at newbrunswick so i dont know how much different newark will be.

I have one more question. Does applying for a second degree mean that you have to pursue an actual B.S or B. A? Do you apply through fafsa? please let me know. Thanks again for your reply.

Superflyjsc said:
i did the postbacc at the newbrunswick campus. If you are part of postbacc program i believe u wont be considered matriculated since you are not going for a degree thus no financial aid. However there are loopholes. What i did was reapply as an undergrad going for a second degree while still being part of the postbacc program. Once you become matriculated u can do your thing and get aid at same time. But then again this was all at newbrunswick so i dont know how much different newark will be.

sk111 said:
I have one more question. Does applying for a second degree mean that you have to pursue an actual B.S or B. A? Do you apply through fafsa? please let me know. Thanks again for your reply.

i just put down that i was undecided. They way the schools will see it is that i was geared towards a degree but then left the school after my year of postbacc was done. And yes i did go through fafsa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Superflyjsc said:

Wow, that's interesting. I would have never thought of that. Hey, I'm for whatever works! Thanks for that information.

Thanks for the help.

Superflyjsc said:
i just put down that i was undecided. They way the schools will see it is that i was geared towards a degree but then left the school after my year of postbacc was done. And yes i did go through fafsa.

What schools does Rutger's New Brunswick have linkage programs with? Is it Robert Wood Johnson? Just curious since I did not see any linkage information on their website.

Yup, robert wood johnson, and new jersey medical schoool.

RAD11 said:
What schools does Rutger's New Brunswick have linkage programs with? Is it Robert Wood Johnson? Just curious since I did not see any linkage information on their website.

I am currently finishing up chem I in the rutgers postbac program and will be takin chem II the following week. i did the same thing as superfly in that i appyed for a second degree so that i could defer my loans and get financial aid. please drop me an email if you're in the post bac program at rutgers currently or if you have completed it in the past.

ianhoppe at gmail.com

For those of you who are in the Rutgers Post-Bac starting Fall 2005:

Will you be taking the April or August MCAT 2006?

RAD11 said:
For those of you who are in the Rutgers Post-Bac starting Fall 2005:

Will you be taking the April or August MCAT 2006?

i am going to try to take the april 2006 mcat so that i can utilize the accelerated admission for that year. But since i am going to be taking orgo II, orgo lab, and physics II that semester we will have to see how much study time i will have.

Hi Hopster,

Are you taking your post-bacc full-time or part-time? I'm trying to decide whether to go back to school to re-take my prereqs since I did poorly on the MCAT this past April. I'm actually interested in Rutger's Newark, but I don't know how heavy the load would be if I decide to take 3 classes + Lab (Chem/Phys/Orgo) in the Fall sem and part II in the Spring sem so that I can re-take the MCAT in April 2006. I spoke to the pre-health office today and the lady said that I might not have a problem taking Orgo and Gen Chem together since I've taken them once before (graduated with Biology degree in 1999).

RAD11 said:
Hi Hopster,

Are you taking your post-bacc full-time or part-time? I'm trying to decide whether to go back to school to re-take my prereqs since I did poorly on the MCAT this past April. I'm actually interested in Rutger's Newark, but I don't know how heavy the load would be if I decide to take 3 classes + Lab (Chem/Phys/Orgo) in the Fall sem and part II in the Spring sem so that I can re-take the MCAT in April 2006. I spoke to the pre-health office today and the lady said that I might not have a problem taking Orgo and Gen Chem together since I've taken them once before (graduated with Biology degree in 1999).
P.S. I don't think I need to re-take my Biology classes.

im doing the post-bac full time, but am only taking one class in each of the summer sessions. they are pretty lax about letting post-bacs take classes. i dont think that you will have a problem taking org and chem together.