Rutgers RWJ vs Sinai vs BUSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkling Smile

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I hope you have all had a wonderful cycle! I am in the fortunate position to be choosing between these three schools.

Costs will be approximately similar between all three, with BU being the cheapest by about 20k over the span of 4 years.

I would say I value personal fit/happiness of the school, and ability to match into a competitive specialty at the end of it all, above other factors.

So, without further ado, here is my pros/cons list:

BU:

Pros:

-cheapest of the three (~20k/5k per year)

-great match list; lots of competitive specialties.

Cons:

-Really did not feel like I clicked with current students during interview, and second look. It was really strange, like students were sizing me up the entire time. I felt a strange vibe that I couldn't shake.

-Boston. Not really for me.

Rutgers:

Pros:

-felt like I "clicked" with the students best here. Everyone seemed so happy, and went out of their way to greet interviewees and get to know us.

-great match list, I think I can match anywhere from this school.

Cons:

-Lowest rank out of all the schools.

Sinai:

Pros:

-Highest rank out of all three schools.

-Really great interview day vibes here, though I'm sad I didn't get to go to second-look, so I don't know if my time during the interview is representative of the students at the school.

-Really great match list.

Cons:

-New York is intimidating. It's a big transition for me.

So, that's what I've got so far! If you have anything to add, I would love to hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BUSM <<<< RWJ << Sinai

Interviewed at RWJ and agree w you that the students seemed really great, but having worked at Sinai's med school, they REALLY pull out all the stops to support their students' personal wellbeing through lots of mentoring and student affairs initiatives. I got the sense that student wellness was a part of Sinai's "shtick" relative to other Manhattan medical schools. Very receptive faculty and staff who are glad to be doing the work that they do. I think RWJ is great but infrastructure to support students lacking, but I also feel that the anxieties around moving to a city will be well-assisted by your peers, faculty and staff at Mt. Sinai.

Reactions: 1 users
My vote is also with Sinai -- it would open up more doors than RWJ and BUSM, and your pros and cons seal the deal here.