Rutgers vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD the Dream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a choice to make between several school but i narrowed it down to temple and rutgers. I'm from Jersey so I would be in state for rutgers but I really fell in love with temple and their environment/clinical program. Does anyone have any advice or pointers before I make a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to give you some info. if you choose temple (assuming you don't have a scholarship) you will pay over 400k for 4 years.

For Rutgers you will pay 280-300k.

It's up to you to decide whether it is worth 100k to go somewhere else. Personally I would take Rutgers and run with it.

Reactions: 4 users
I would say follow your heart and worry about money later!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say follow your heart and worry about money later!

Yeah........NO

Go to Rutgers. Rutgers not be as fancy and drool worthy as the pre-clinical facilities at Temple(I interviewed and got accepted to both), but it'll get the job done. You'll see a crap load of patients, be near home/family/friends and pay 100k less. You get to work a lot in the clinic 3rd year too, which is great.

Go to Rutgers. If you end up still thinking about Temple in 4 years, go do your 1 year residency there, since you'd actually be able to afford to make rent payments and Rutger's student loan payments.

Last edited:
Yeah........NO

Go to Rutgers. Rutgers not be as fancy and drool worthy as the pre-clinical facilities at Temple(I interviewed and got accepted to both), but it'll get the job done. You'll see a crap load of patients, be near home/family/friends and pay 100k less. You get to see work a lot in the clinic 3rd year too, which is great.

Go to Rutgers. If you end up still thinking about Temple in 4 years, go do your 1 year residency there, since you'd actually be able to afford to make rent payments and Rutger's student loan payments.

It depends on the person really. I mean some people want to get away from where they live. They thrive for a change, a new experience, and a new place. He said he fell in love with Temple.
If you are in a place you like, you will probably give more! You will excel!

Ps: he would still be able to see his family
One hour away, bus tickets about 10 dollar, more or less!

Rutgers

It depends on the person really. I mean some people want to get away from where they live. They thrive for a change, a new experience, and a new place. He said he fell in love with Temple.
If you are in a place you like, you will probably give more! You will excel!

Ps: he would still be able to see his family
One hour away, bus tickets about 10 dollar, more or less!

Well he's not going to be experiencing much change after school when he's strapped for cash since he'll be paying an extra +1k a month in loans with at 15 year payout, including interest. You'll have fun in dental school, but this isn't undergrad. Rutger's is a solid school. They had a bunch of D4's waiting for us during breakfast. That speaks confidence.

Following your heart, usually isn't the best choice when it comes to financial commitments. We're too young to understand how much a loan can be a burden on our quality of life later on.

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, because I was a little confused about the COA for temple. Is it 90k or 100k a year? I think rutgers is 80k a year including housing bc i don't plan on living with my family during dental. If its 20k difference a year, thats a big difference compared to 10k.

Just out of curiosity, because I was a little confused about the COA for temple. Is it 90k or 100k a year? I think rutgers is 80k a year including housing bc i don't plan on living with my family during dental. If its 20k difference a year, thats a big difference compared to 10k.

Temple is about 99k for first year if I recall.

Rutgers is around 80k. The thing is imterest accrues in school so that 80k jumps to 100k+ easy.

Also the schools could be cheaper depending on how you live. I notice schools tend to overestimate COL so you can make Rutgers/temple even cheaper. However it is a 100k difference between the schools at the end of the day after 4 years and interest.

I feel like unless it's an ivy league school it's probably smarter to go to the cheapest school you can

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

Temple is about 99k for first year if I recall.

Rutgers is around 80k. The thing is imterest accrues in school so that 80k jumps to 100k+ easy.

Also the schools could be cheaper depending on how you live. I notice schools tend to overestimate COL so you can make Rutgers/temple even cheaper. However it is a 100k difference between the schools at the end of the day after 4 years and interest.

Well I think that makes it easier for me to decide then. The difference however is that the cost of living in NJ is slightly higher than PA.

IMO there environments are very different but Rutgers and Temple's Clinical experience are both really great. They both have really high clinical requirements and Rutgers has been rennovating the clinics for a while now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a grad loan that interest begins accruing immediately after completion of the 4 years of school?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a grad loan that interest begins accruing immediately after completion of the 4 years of school?

It would be a unsubsidized loan, therefore interest will incur during school. $1 now = $3 later :(

Reactions: 1 users
Go with what your gut is telling you! Happiness is the single most important factor and you know yourself better than any of us do and how you felt at the interview days and after you spoke to people regarding the two schools. Figure out your needs/desires and what will give you the best experience and outcome over these next four years of your life (in my humble opinion).

Either way, best of luck in your decision and wherever you end up!!