Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
The professor posted the grade distribution for the intro Bio. class today. This is pre-final and pre-incorporation of the lab score.

Class size: 144
Mean: B-/C+
A or A-: 7 (< 5%)

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
The professor posted the grade distribution for the intro Bio. class today. This is pre-final and pre-incorporation of the lab score.

Eh, I've seen worse. I'm sure the prof will make an easy final to boost the average. He/she could also but posting this as motivation to study...

OP
D
Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
There is lab (25% of total grade). Word on the street is that will bring most people down.

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My university officially posts past grade distributions of professors. If yours does something like that, you can get a more accurate distribution. Also try MyEdu/Pickaprof.

Besides, intro science classes are seemingly brutal anyways.

OP
D
Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
....so your posting on SDN about your giant e peen?
You know, I didn't intend to talk about my grade until your snarky ass came along.

I was just sharing some stats to see if this is what other schools are like.

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Actually a B-/C+ mean ain't that bad for intro bio.

Ignatius M.D.

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Actually a B-/C+ mean ain't that bad for intro bio.
That's true. My professor said that if you could manage a 75% you were doing fantastic since they ask so much of you. Our averages were near the 65% area.

By the way....LOVE your avatar Paul

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Transfer into a super premium private university. They know how to hook a brother up. <5% A? Weak.

Last edited:

rmsgolfer

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I have an A currently, so....
so.......then why are you complaining. Why make a thread about how absolutely unfair/hard a class is when it seems you are doing just fine.

Learn a little humility. This type of attitude sticks out like a b*ner in sweatpants during interviews and you will get embarrassed by any good interviewer.

OP
D
Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
so.......then why are you complaining. Why make a thread about how absolutely unfair/hard a class is when it seems you are doing just fine.

Learn a little humility. This type of attitude sticks out like a b*ner in sweatpants during interviews and you will get embarrassed by any good interviewer.
I didn't say it was absolutely unfair or hard. I think 5% is a razor's edge even if I'm within it. Also, I have to look forward to this type of curve in future classes. So yeah, I'm kinda' humbled.

Screw you.

rmsgolfer

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I didn't say it was absolutely unfair or hard. I think 5% is a razor's edge even if I'm within it. Also, I have to look forward to this type of curve in future classes. So yeah, I'm kinda' humbled.

Screw you.

I understand this is an anonymous website where pre-meds fluff up their feathers to show everyone how much tougher their classes are and that their special lives have undoubtedly prepared them to function effortlessly in the field of medicine, but come on. Do you honestly think you are the only freshman (I am of course assuming based on the fact you are in an introductory bio course) that has a "difficult" class with a "difficult" professor with a "difficult" grading system. Ever heard of a weed out class. If you chose to continue with the pre-med sciences things will only get more difficult so it is good practice to keep your head down, mouth shut, and work hard.

And if your true purpose was to start some dialog about such classes as you later stated, then why wasn't that touched in the OP. You basically posted your "extreme" situation for the world to see and than smugly answered another responder giving you a little **** with---"well I have an A,so..........". Lighten up.

Don't jump to so much hostility. Take a break from those ruthless classes and go have a beer.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Screw you.
Wow, are you this annoying in real life?

Sep 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

I got 100% in my biochem class...so what? I'm just a pre-med that recieves no respect. Rightfully so since I haven't contributed anything of actual substance yet. So you got a couple good grades, people optimistically live with HIV everyday. Get over yourself OP! :thumbdown:

Salient

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
From my experience that seems pretty normal. Our means were usually in the C/C+ range, and <5% A also seems pretty normal. I'd estimate it has more to do with the ratio of good students to bad students than how hard the class actually is, if it's anything like my school.

Edit: I think that I feel this way because most of my classes were not curved, and almost all of them had very similar distributions. Classes that most students tend to find very hard (physics, organic, biochem, pchem) have very similar distributions to classes that most people find relatively easy (biology, gchem). It seems like C students just put in however much effort allows them to pass the class, B students put in more, and A students do whatever it takes to get an A in whatever class they're taking.

Last edited:

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
This is actually a pretty good distribution.

cfx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
The A's may be a bit low, but overall a B-/C+ average actually seems quite high.

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status
That is nothing. At my community college ;) we started out with about 70 people in the beginning. Last class period I counted 23 students in the auditorium. The worse part about it is that most people who stayed are still failing.

rusyrusyrusy

Removed
Aug 9, 2010
Status
That is nothing. At my community college ;) we started out with about 70 people in the beginning. Last class period I counted 23 students in the auditorium. The worse part about it is that most people who stayed are still failing.
Dude your screen name has a politically incorrect word in it. that's not kosher.

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status
The one on the left probably has teh cuter bra. I'm confused about what this had to do with your screen name.
I'm confused by why you give a damn about my user-name.

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Because I belong to a particulat minority group and it ridicules the struggles of my grandparents?
I also belong to a particular minority group, and my grandparents probably struggled just as hard as your's did.

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status
I know. Just because dave chapelle is alright with ridiculing the struggles of african american's in this country doesn't mean you should too.
"Ridiculing the struggles of african americans"? What the **** are you talking about? It's just a name. You need to learn to get over yourself. If you are so easily offended by my UN you have no business being on the internet in the first place.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
"Ridiculing the struggles of african americans"? What the **** are you talking about? It's just a name. You need to learn to get over yourself. If you are so easily offended by my UN you have no business being on the internet in the first place.
Haha

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

rusyrusyrusy

Removed
Aug 9, 2010
Status
Really? So would you ever have your friends call you negrodamus off the internet? Would you ever use the word negro as part of another larger word?

There is civility and your lack of it is disgusting. I hope the moderaters ban you from sdn.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Really? So would you ever have your friends call you negrodamus off the internet? Would you ever use the word negro as part of another larger word?

There is civility and your lack of it is disgusting. I hope the moderaters ban you from sdn.
I'm guessing you write letters to the UNCF.

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status

I wouldn't give a damn if someone called me negrodamus in real life. You need to take that stick out of your ass and grow the **** up. And thats all I have to say about this subject.

Negrodamus

GOD emperor Doe
Sep 25, 2010
Status

Ignatius M.D.

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
White people love Wayne Brady...

Elpenor

5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

mean B- / C+ and you are whining????

My physics class currently has ~68% average, no curving.