1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

RVC interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by hopefulvet21, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hopefulvet21

hopefulvet21 Edinburgh c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I searched the interview feedback page and didn't find anything on RVC. I am really scared of interviewing in general, and I have heard RVC specifically asks very difficult questions. I really want to go here and I have to admit that I am truly terrified of this interview. I know I "just need to relax," but... easier said than done.

I am doing a fair amount of preparing...reading about current issues, technologies, and I even read the whole Bernie Rollins "Intro to Veterinary Medical Ethics" book so I would be able to (hopefully) speak very intelligently about those things. But still, you never know what they will ask. I am worried because some of my experience (at an equine hosp. for example) was like 3 years ago and I don't remember a lot of detail from it because it was a rather short internship. Also, my work at a small animal clinic was for about 8 months, but I left the clinic last august because I was abroad and I've recently just got back. I feel that because I am not currently working/shadowing that I will forget really simple things at the interview like vaccine protocol and such (no matter how much I review it)...

I've scheduled a mock interview at my school's career center next week (but I doubt they know the types of questions RVC will ask me). So any advice and has anyone interviewed with RVC before or know someone who has? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ckd816

ckd816 Dick Vet c/o 2015
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    If you go to the RVC website and look under the BVetMed course information, look to the menu on the right and click on "Admissions Calendar." On that page, there is a link for an "Interview Process Podcast" that gives some general information about their interview. There aren't any specific examples of questions given, but some good tips are given on what they look for and what to read in preparation for an interview there. They also interview a student who discussed her interview from 2007. Here is the page address:

http://stream2.rvc.ac.uk/Audio_Lectures/General/Julia_Hewett/interview.mp3

Also, do you know where and when RVC interviews take place in the states? I haven't applied this cycle but it is my top choice and I will be applying this time around.

4. jkq202

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary

#3 jkq202, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. hopefulvet21

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    thanks I listened to the podcast and it helped, but I am worried it might pertain more to local students than US students. I only say that because I went on a tour of the RVC and asked the UK student guide how her interview went and she said it was very comfortable and relatively simple. But I also asked an SDN member from the US how theirs went and they said it was a major grilling and that they were asked extremely specific questions about their work experience. They said they thought they did very poorly and that it was unlike any other interview for any US school:eek:

But to answer your question, the interviews are only held in NYC and California (not sure whereabouts) sometime in mid-feb. Mine is Feb 9th but theres also dates on the 6th, 12th, and 13th or something. They notified people in early november this year.

6. Vetx2

Vetx2 LSU C/O 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    My interview is on Feb. 9th in New York, I am staying at the Belvedere Hotel. I think they really just want to see if you can convey your thoughts logically and have some/any people skills. If anyone else is at this interview and going to be there on the 8th, it would be nice to talk before the interview or just hang out to calm nerves down.

7. ckd816

ckd816 Dick Vet c/o 2015
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I can see that the podcast might apply to locals a bit more than international students... I know this is a bit random, but you might try looking through a Facebook group called "New Faces at the RVC." There are a lot of people on there who are very helpful for US students, not to mention people from the US who now attend. It's slightly stalkerish, but messaging one of them about it might help you prepare! :oops:

#6 ckd816, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  8. hopefulvet21

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    haha thanks ckd, I will do that. I think I've stooped lower than that with facebook stalking anyway...

And Vetx, YES I would love to meet up before the interview!! I actually live right in NYC so I'll be there on the 7th, 8th, and every other day in february for that matter. PM me if you're interested!

9. Vetx2

Vetx2 LSU C/O 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Is there anyone out there that has interview already for RVC in San Fran that may be able to give some insight on interview format?????

10. Sognidoro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I am becoming more and more nervous about my RVC interview just reading this thread! As a vet assistant I have worked in a small animal hospital for 6 months so I am familiar with a lot of things, but I'm afraid they are going to ask me detailed questions about conditions or procedures about small animal that I won't know about. I assist with a lot of different things but its not like I am there with the doctor doing surgery or diagnosing so I don't get to know all of the ins and outs of every case. I ask questions but I try not to be annoying asking "why" every five seconds. I hope they don't think I am an idiot when I can't answer their questions! I guess I'll just have to be honest and say I don't know but give my best guess? Mine is going to be in San Fran and I am excited to see the city, however I hope I can enjoy it and not stress the whole time! Good luck to all of you interviewing and I would be grateful for any tips on from people who have done it before!

11. pyxystyx

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey guys, when/where are y'all's interviews? I'm in SF on Thursday. Any other people in SF wanna meet up and do lunch before/after...?

And I am having just as hard a time trying to study. I wish a previous applicant would come on here from last year to give us SOME clue... :(

12. hopefulvet21

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Don't worry I am afraid of the same things. I volunteered at an equine clinic for a little bit and observed lots of surgeries, but it's not like I could ask a question every 2 seconds while the doctor was in the middle of surgery. So of course I don't know every little detail about each one. Someone I talked to who interviewed with them and got accepted said their questions are geared toward your experience and they just want to find out of you actually did do the things you said you did on your work experience form. And yes, just be honest. Someone else told me they will ask you some very detailed questions, but if you don't know it's okay, they are just trying to see how far you can go. I am equally stressed out, but I know that will just make things worse at the interview, so I try to remind myself of the reasons I am a good applicant to boost my confidence. Just make yourself very familiar with your application, and if there's anything there you don't remember, just read a little bit on it to refresh your memory. Good luck, let me know how it goes!