RVU match results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All the haters need to relax.

It is the first match for the school.

Congrats guys- you should all be very proud.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I just checked with our assistant director of admissions (I'm an ambassador at RVU) who consulted our registrar, and there are 127 2012ers who are graduating this May. They did start with 160, but there was 5-8% attrition for years 1 and 2 and some joined the next class (2013) due to academic difficulty/choice to take a year off for personal reasons, a couple transfers, a couple just outright quit really early on and there are a handful doing a 5th fellowship year and will match with 2013 next year. The 2 people from RVUCOM c/o 2012 that have not yet matched are expected to match somewhere in the scramble and I wish the the best of luck.

So it stands as a 98.4% match rate with the last two likely to match somewhere soon. To which I reply to the poster above me, WE told YOU so. :D

33 out of 160 is way higher than 5-8% attrition/didn't graduate on time.
That's >20% over 2 years...that number seems ridicurus to me.

You also have to figure there were probably others from the class of 2011 who rolled into their class.

Members don't see this ad :)

It averaged 7ish percent per year as far as academic troubles. So 11 year 1 and 10 for year 2. So that's 21, and the vast majority of those joined the class of 2013 and at this point are on rotations. Then a handful transferred to LMU after the first dean stepped down, 4 doing the 5th year for the OPP fellowship and a a few quit first year (early on) on their own. So it does add up to the 33 missing bodies. The school does occasionally dismiss students, but they do have a lot of resources available for struggling students. Like anywhere else, it is up to the individual student to put in the work and stay determined to succeed.

Seriously. Bones DO is adopting the Caribbean school method of computing a match rate. Just don't count the people who flunked out, dropped out, or who had to be decelerated due to academic difficulties. :rolleyes:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how the match rate is calculated everywhere? As in (# of students who matched successfully/number of students in class who entered match). I don't see why you would include students who are no longer part of their original class and didn't even enter the match for this year.

Edit: Nevermind, I see your point now regarding the high attrition rate, though I don't see why that should be factored into their match rate; that would be even more misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only say I am happy to have RVU as my school... I wasn't worried, it paid off... :soexcited::biglove:

DocE, LOVE the new avatar... seriously... love it... great image... :)

Seriously. Bones DO is adopting the Caribbean school method of computing a match rate. Just don't count the people who flunked out, dropped out, or who had to be decelerated due to academic difficulties. :rolleyes:

Incorrect. Match rate at RVU and everywhere else state side is simply# that match prescramble divided by total # that entered the match. Match and attrition are two distinct things. I agree if you look at 127 graduating / 160 that started it looks a little off-putting but I explained how that worked out. Look at LMU-DCOM's first match was 120/120 matched post scramble (which will be what ours will be soon enough) but their first class started with 150. So 120 graduated of the 150 who started. The very important distinction is that many of those who did not graduate on time were not forced to leave the school in either case, as is the case in the caribbean schools. Do not liken RVU to a carib school; it is NOT compariable by any means to any of them.

Do not liken RVU to a carib school; it is NOT compariable by any means to any of them.

Except for the higher-than-average tuition, private loans, for-profit status, high attrition rate, excuses for said high attrition rate, shroud of secrecy, nope not at all.

Oh, also the whole "claiming higher-than-average licensing exam scores and then posting below average match results" is a little bit similar.

RVU isn't this devil-worshiping degree mill that some make it out to be, but you can't honestly say that you don't see significant legitimate comparisons to offshore schools.

How is 45k higher than average tuition? Please enlighten me... Total COA (books, laptop, fees, insurance, test fees, tuition, room/board, etc) is ~73k because Denver's COL is fairly high... SOMA's tuition is higher...

Except for the higher-than-average tuition, private loans, for-profit status, high attrition rate, excuses for said high attrition rate, shroud of secrecy, nope not at all.

Oh, also the whole "claiming higher-than-average licensing exam scores and then posting below average match results" is a little bit similar.

RVU isn't this devil-worshiping degree mill that some make it out to be, but you can't honestly say that you don't see significant legitimate comparisons to offshore schools.

The tuition is only slightly higher than the average DO school.. Private loans will vanish when regional accreditation is achieved. The perceived high attrition was cited and explained already. The board scores are legitimate;they were verified by COCA as part of the accreditation process. The match results not being up to some SDNer's standards, like many of their otherar guments, imaginary. The first match is never a schools best, but again I'm proud of our class of 2012. There is no shroud of secrecy, stop being melodramatic. I know it gets boring out in Erie, but come on, surely you can find something more productive with your time than comment on things your know so little about. Or are you at the LECOM that doesn't actually have an anatomylab?

Members don't see this ad :)
How is 45k higher than average tuition? Please enlighten me... Total COA (books, laptop, fees, insurance, test fees, tuition, room/board, etc) is ~73k because Denver's COL is fairly high... SOMA's tuition is higher...

true.

Per AACOM's table, the mean private school OOS tuition is just shy of $41,000. RVU charges $43,384. This is also higher than the mean OOS tuition for all DO schools at $42,230. It may not be hugely above average, but it is in fact, above average, as I stated. I did not factor in COA, because that is not a reflection of a school's financial standing.

The tuition is only slightly higher than the average DO school.. Private loans will vanish when regional accreditation is achieved. The perceived high attrition was cited and explained already. The board scores are legitimate;they were verified by COCA as part of the accreditation process. The match results not being up to some SDNer's standards, like many of their otherar guments, imaginary. The first match is never a schools best, but again I'm proud of our class of 2012. There is no shroud of secrecy, stop being melodramatic. I know it gets boring out in Erie, but come on, surely you can find something more productive with your time than comment on things your know so little about. Or are you at the LECOM that doesn't actually have an anatomylab?

Problems with the calculation of attrition: you discount the people who left after the dean left. This isn't an illness or a family emergency or any legitimate non-academic reason for leaving a school. It's a serious issue. You can tick and tack at the rate, but ultimately, a lot of people who started didn't finish.

I didn't say the board scores weren't legitimate. I'm pointing out that you are claiming high licensing exam scores as proof of educational excellence, much in the same way offshore schools do. However, in most instances, above-average COMLEX/USMLE scores turn into above-average residency matches. I recognize that this was the school's first match. I also recognize that there are a lot of negatives that stand out on the match list that you are failing to accept.

I consider a school that keeps its financial records secret to be shrouded in secrecy. Melodrama or not, even just the disclosure of records is important to the respectability of a medical school.

The comments about LECOM were a little odd, considering the discussion at hand. I have plenty of things to keep me busy here in Erie, my cadaver taught me quite a bit about anatomy, and I'm happy to be here.

I respect your opinions, and especially respect your journey through school as I recall reading your posts a few years back, but I wish you would be more willing to see reasonable comparisons between your school and offshore schools. Offshore schools charge more than average, have poor financial aid arrangements, lose a lot of students, lose them for many reasons, calculate things in the most positive way possible, tout high board scores, then match worse than they should given those scores, and exist corporately for the primary purpose of profit.

Like I said, RVU isn't the evil money-grubbing deathknell of osteopathic medicine that some make it out to be, but there are legitimate comparisons that a reasonable person can see with regards to offshore schools.

Per AACOM's table, the mean private school OOS tuition is just shy of $41,000. RVU charges $43,384. This is also higher than the mean OOS tuition for all DO schools at $42,230. It may not be hugely above average, but it is in fact, above average, as I stated. I did not factor in COA, because that is not a reflection of a school's financial standing.

Problems with the calculation of attrition: you discount the people who left after the dean left. This isn't an illness or a family emergency or any legitimate non-academic reason for leaving a school. It's a serious issue. You can tick and tack at the rate, but ultimately, a lot of people who started didn't finish.

I didn't say the board scores weren't legitimate. I'm pointing out that you are claiming high licensing exam scores as proof of educational excellence, much in the same way offshore schools do. However, in most instances, above-average COMLEX/USMLE scores turn into above-average residency matches. I recognize that this was the school's first match. I also recognize that there are a lot of negatives that stand out on the match list that you are failing to accept.

I consider a school that keeps its financial records secret to be shrouded in secrecy. Melodrama or not, even just the disclosure of records is important to the respectability of a medical school.

The comments about LECOM were a little odd, considering the discussion at hand. I have plenty of things to keep me busy here in Erie, my cadaver taught me quite a bit about anatomy, and I'm happy to be here.

I respect your opinions, and especially respect your journey through school as I recall reading your posts a few years back, but I wish you would be more willing to see reasonable comparisons between your school and offshore schools. Offshore schools charge more than average, have poor financial aid arrangements, lose a lot of students, lose them for many reasons, calculate things in the most positive way possible, tout high board scores, then match worse than they should given those scores, and exist corporately for the primary purpose of profit.

Like I said, RVU isn't the evil money-grubbing deathknell of osteopathic medicine that some make it out to be, but there are legitimate comparisons that a reasonable person can see with regards to offshore schools.

2ic1nqf.gif

I'm sure quite a few people have read what was posted here already but I decided to take it down because it was a series of low blows. I realized that my response to a perceived low blow was to throw in like twelve low blows...which isn't cool.

Plus, I honestly didn't believe most of what I said anyway...just said it to get my digs in....guess the NYC came out. It's been in hiding since I moved to the almost midwest.

Anyway...whatever...post is gone...call me a sell-out....

Last edited:
Can we please for the love of Dr. Still stop this nonsense of attacking schools :mad: This is getting to be ridiculous. Every school is a good school and will produce great docs. If you don't like RVU or LECOM or whatever other school, then don't go there. this is all subjective

Can we please for the love of Dr. Still stop this nonsense of attacking schools :mad: This is getting to be ridiculous. Every school is a good school and will produce great docs. If you don't like RVU or LECOM or whatever other school, then don't go there. this is all subjective

You're totally right, it's a bunch of sniping at one another for no good reason. But I'm going to reply to a shot with a shot, that's how life works.

It seems like a major factor in attrition is students dropping down a year, which makes the yield of a class go down. But doesn't that make the yield of the following class go up? I'm just making up numbers here, but the class of 2013 could have started with 150 students, collect 15 from the 2012 class, and have 165 participate in the match for a yield of 110%. This sounds like my ochem lab results! :laugh:

Calculating the total match yield of any school's first senior class seems misleading to me.

It seems like a major factor in attrition is students dropping down a year, which makes the yield of a class go down. But doesn't that make the yield of the following class go up? I'm just making up numbers here, but the class of 2013 could have started with 150 students, collect 15 from the 2012 class, and have 165 participate in the match for a yield of 110%. This sounds like my ochem lab results! :laugh:

Calculating the total match yield of any school's first senior class seems misleading to me.

Sure makes the school more money in tuition. Yay for profit status!

OK

Last warning - stop attacking each other, or each other's schools. You can discuss the match list, whether it is "good or not", whether RVU's for-profit status played a factor or not IN THE MATCH LIST ... BUT KEEP IT CIVIL AND KEEP IT FOCUSED.

No more come backs, no more last retort, no parting shots.

It averaged 7ish percent per year as far as academic troubles. So 11 year 1 and 10 for year 2. So that's 21, and the vast majority of those joined the class of 2013 and at this point are on rotations. Then a handful transferred to LMU after the first dean stepped down, 4 doing the 5th year for the OPP fellowship and a a few quit first year (early on) on their own. So it does add up to the 33 missing bodies. The school does occasionally dismiss students, but they do have a lot of resources available for struggling students. Like anywhere else, it is up to the individual student to put in the work and stay determined to succeed.

I'll be honest and straightforward by saying that before this thread, I could care less about RVU and mostly regarded the institution as "just another med school."

...but this discussion is absolutely terrifying.

I don't mean to post anything personal or critical, but objectively, I think it's fairly well understood that graduating from medical school is largely a personal endeavor and the course of life will always throw a certain number of curveballs to a large cohort of people. However, I feel like an administration can't be entirely hands-off in the education of their students. Considering the grueling nature of medical education and annual variation, an attrition rate can generally be dependent on the (a)the quality of admissions standards or (b)the extent to which administration provides useful tools to aid in the professional development of their students. I don't know what average attrition rates are for other medical schools, but these statistics are alarming and uncharacteristically high from my own experience and if they are indeed truly high relative to other schools, I should hope for the sake of RVU students, prospective applicants and the DO profession that RVU administration evaluates its measures towards promoting retention.

Again, I don't mean to be overly critical but we have to realize that behind these numbers and statistics are people that have put at stake their youth and financial livelihood hoping to become a physician. Attrition is a legitimate subject for discussion at any school and it's very easy to dismiss the numerical value we see on screens without thinking of the people they represent.

I'll be honest and straightforward by saying that before this thread, I could care less about RVU and mostly regarded the institution as "just another med school."

...but this discussion is absolutely terrifying.

I don't mean to post anything personal or critical, but objectively, I think it's fairly well understood that graduating from medical school is largely a personal endeavor and the course of life will always throw a certain number of curveballs to a large cohort of people. However, I feel like an administration can't be entirely hands-off in the education of their students. Considering the grueling nature of medical education and annual variation, an attrition rate can generally be dependent on the (a)the quality of admissions standards or (b)the extent to which administration provides useful tools to aid in the professional development of their students. I don't know what average attrition rates are for other medical schools, but these statistics are alarming and uncharacteristically high from my own experience and if they are indeed truly high relative to other schools, I should hope for the sake of RVU students, prospective applicants and the DO profession that RVU administration evaluates its measures towards promoting retention.

Again, I don't mean to be overly critical but we have to realize that behind these numbers and statistics are people that have put at stake their youth and financial livelihood hoping to become a physician. Attrition is a legitimate subject for discussion at any school and it's very easy to dismiss the numerical value we see on screens without thinking of the people they represent.

I think you missed that just about every one of those students is somewhere, either LMU or still at RVU. One thing that is bound to happen is students transferring out and staying back a year. Normally these numbers are equal in and out, but for a first graduating class this may not be the case. I know at my school we obtained a bunch of 2nd years (I'm a 1st) and will probably give an equal number to the class of 2016, for zero sum. I think you can't really judge a 1st graduating class in this scenario.

I think you missed that just about every one of those students is somewhere, either LMU or still at RVU. One thing that is bound to happen is students transferring out and staying back a year. Normally these numbers are equal in and out, but for a first graduating class this may not be the case. I know at my school we obtained a bunch of 2nd years (I'm a 1st) and will probably give an equal number to the class of 2016, for zero sum. I think you can't really judge a 1st graduating class in this scenario.

confusion.gif

What? That is something that is definitely *not* bound to happen and is one of those things that when they happen to more than a very small number if isolated students your school did something wrong and needs to nip it in the bud and stop it dead right then and there.

Some schools have transient issues with this. some have chronic. some never have it at all. If this is a chronic issue there is something wrong with the school (may not necessarily be the education. may be the safety net or simply poor admission choices)

What? That is something that is definitely *not* bound to happen and is one of those things that when they happen to more than a very small number if isolated students your school did something wrong and needs to nip it in the bud and stop it dead right then and there.

Some schools have transient issues with this. some have chronic. some never have it at all. If this is a chronic issue there is something wrong with the school (may not necessarily be the education. may be the safety net or simply poor admission choices)

Personally I wouldn't be happy with those numbers if they were at my own school. They are high. But it is bound to happen in some number, and does happen at even the best schools. Show me a class that had a 0% attrition rate for years 1 and 2 and I'll show you a school that artificially pushed people through. It's entirely possible that the problem has been nipped in the bud as we haven't seen much (at least I haven't, you're welcome to provide otherwise) from the classes of 2013+ aside from board scores, which I understand to be not too bad. At that, given that the students that stayed back a year seem to be just fine, I'm comfortable saying bud=more or less nipped. Let's wait and see how this works out past the first year class before we go all confirmation bias.

Frankly, if it were up to me I would have offered 4 year scholarships to the inaugural class a la some of the new MD schools popping up. Can't tell me they can't afford it. I'm betting that a good deal of what's going on is due in part to difficulties RVU must have had in recruiting due do bad press and is not necessarily reflective of their academic program.

Also, cute gif. Really helps keep things civil. :thumbup:

Your post is well worded and I respect your opinion as well. I retract my comment re: LECOM, I was overly emotional and it was uncalled for. At this point I must agree to disagree; I think any similarities that can be drawn between RVU and an off shore school will continue to decline as time goes on, and sooner than later, fully vanish.

Incorrect. Match rate at RVU and everywhere else state side is simply# that match prescramble divided by total # that entered the match. Match and attrition are two distinct things. I agree if you look at 127 graduating / 160 that started it looks a little off-putting but I explained how that worked out. Look at LMU-DCOM's first match was 120/120 matched post scramble (which will be what ours will be soon enough) but their first class started with 150. So 120 graduated of the 150 who started. The very important distinction is that many of those who did not graduate on time were not forced to leave the school in either case, as is the case in the caribbean schools. Do not liken RVU to a carib school; it is NOT compariable by any means to any of them.

I didn't know so the first graduating class for LMU had such a high attrition rate. I guess the REAL moral of the story is don't be part of a first graduating class if you have the choice.

While I don't agree with RVU being accredited purely from an ideological standpoint, I disagree with the argument that there will be a huge influx of caribbean schools opening for-profit DO schools. To some extent this may happen (which is one of the fundamental reasons I'm against RVU as it will set a norm), but there will be high standards for accreditation. Carib schools can't open 1,500 person schools with 750-people OMM labs and expect to be accredited. More schools will definitely pop up, making the residency crunch tougher in coming years, but I don't think this will destroy the DO profession. I do, however, see this undermining the credibility of DOs.

That said, I bear no ill will towards RVU students, and wish them the best of luck.

Oh no, its for profit. The football and basketball coach at the school I graduated from earn over 10 million a year combined. The president gets a few million too. For a non-profit, a lucky few sure are profiting.

Any update on the accreditation process at RVU? Congrats on the match.

Oh no, its for profit. The football and basketball coach at the school I graduated from earn over 10 million a year combined. The president gets a few million too. For a non-profit, a lucky few sure are profiting.

Any update on the accreditation process at RVU? Congrats on the match.

^ Texas ..... Fight.

Im not seeing what all the excitement is about. Outside of the 2 Ortho matches and the ENT match nothing is really that impressive. Pretty typical low tier DO school match list. The people at the top of your class are always going to do well no matter which school you go to. Whats really telling is how the people in the middle of your school match. Regardless this class went through alot of outside criticism and should enjoy their individual success. However, most people are still against the for profit model and nothing RVU students do is going to change their mind.

This is a naive question, but I am curious, what IS so different about the for-profit thing vs. non-profit? I seriously have never fully understood this point, after hearing about this school. Is it that the tuition they pay does NOT go towards the school, which is why it's called for profit? Or something else :confused:

This is a naive question, but I am curious, what IS so different about the for-profit thing vs. non-profit? I seriously have never fully understood this point, after hearing about this school. Is it that the tuition they pay does NOT go towards the school, which is why it's called for profit? Or something else :confused:

Instead of being forced to put the "profits" they get into infrastructure, buildings, educational resources and the like, for-profit schools take that money and line their investors' pockets.

So you have a steady stream of money from the pockets of the students to the pockets of the investors. At not-for profit schools, those "profits" are put right back into the school with buildings, educational resources, facilitators (ie like a specific person to help guide you through the match) etc.

in addition to what was said above, not for profit has to follow certain rules that for profit can just breeze over. For example, leadership/admin/presidents can only make up to a certain percentage of the total income of the school. Its why for 95% of the schools out there you dont hear about crazy profits being made from running a school. Generally leading a school is something you do with the full understanding that you're losing a lot of potential income vs practicing medicine. The exception comes in with schools like LECOM or Touro where the head institution are 4, 5, or 27 schools big. Suddenly a small percentage of total income can be a massive amount. LECOM pays their leadership the max (or so I'm told) and Touro doesnt even come anywhere close to its max, mostly because it would be some comically astronomic number and they already get paid damn well. For profit can pay whomever they want however much they want. This seems not that bad until you get to the next things.

They can pocket all the money. The only drive for not pocketing it all is to make a better product. If they're okay with the product, no need to spend a penny on it, the leadership can just take it all as personal profit.

They can "fire" a student. Sure a student can get expelled from any school, but it is an incredibly arduous process with multiple mandated appeals and there is a massive burden of proof on the school to support why it does this. At a for profit school the students are more accurately "consumers". Its a private business and has the full legal right to deny any "consumer" the "product" at any point and for any reason. The only impetus the school has to keep you if you cause issues is bad PR and one students worth of lost tuition. There is always a risk of a lawsuit, but history shows that the private organization usually wins those lawsuits so its not a particularly high-yield move even if we all automatically think we've been wronged if we get the boot. We are not necessarily in the right.. Private business has the right to deny service as long as its not discriminatory.

And the tuition can be labile. If the school so chose, they can jack the tuition up to whatever they want. NFP schools have to follow tuition schedules similar to rent-control in New York City. It is illegal to raise your tuition more than a certain percent per year. Unless your a for-profit model, then you can charge $38,000 one year and $70,000 the next with only minor forewarning.

There are other things such as tenure being a tenuous thing entirely up to the boards discretion and able to be undone. The general concern about cutting corners and abraham flexner rolling in his grave. etc etc.

Has RVU done any of these things? As far as I can tell, no they have not. They seem to be on the straight and narrow. But it raises two issues. 1) RVU *absolutely can* do any of these things at a later point and no one can do much of anything to stop them. Debate amongst yourselves the likelihood of that. And 2) RVU can be an angelic enlightened school, but it does open the door to other schools following the same model and abusing it viciously. The amount of restraint shown by RVU is great, but it should not be expected of every school that may follow in its economic footsteps.

And the tuition can be labile. If the school so chose, they can jack the tuition up to whatever they want. NFP schools have to follow tuition schedules similar to rent-control in New York City. It is illegal to raise your tuition more than a certain percent per year. Unless your a for-profit model, then you can charge $38,000 one year and $70,000 the next with only minor forewarning.

I don't think you really looked up the things first. I'll quote from AMSA's website:

"Over the past twenty years, median medical school tuition and fees have increased by 165% in private schools and by 312% in public schools."

"From 2002 to 2003, students saw some of the largest tuition increases in history. Private school tuition increased by 5.7% while public school tuition increased by 17.7%."

The fact is that state-supported schools have NO incentive to save money at all. They know that if they don't use every single dollar that is in the buget, then it will be taken away the next year. So, they use it on whatever they can-- not necessarily going back to the students. Sometimes their budget is taken away anyway. Then, they just increase tuition to meet their increased needs. Or, they try to make it up with donations. They don't have any incentive at all to try and save money.

First of all, I would like to give a late Congratulations to all the RVU students that matched! They have been under the microscope from day one, and considering that they are graduating their first class, I think that this is a solid match list.

As for the detractors, I just have a few things to say. I too have been cautiously watching how RVU develops over the past few years, and I have to say, although I still have some misgivings, I am impressed with what they have done so far. Some have mentioned the lack of specialties selections outside of FM/IM/PEDS as a sign that the school is producing an inferior graduate. To those I would like to say that based both on the website and personal conversations with the school, I would have to disagree. The mission of the school, and recruitment focus, is on students interested in primary care that want to focus on community based medicine. So, even through they may not be the top residencies in the country, the specialty selection fits strongly with the stated goals of the school. Also, the scholarships available through the school are largely primary care based, and many have a regional component about where they can eventually practice. Because of this, I would expect to see a large number of community based residencies that fit with the scholarship criteria.

Without opening up another war about the validity and quality of RVU, I would like to encourage everyone to support the students in their chosen residencies and I look forward to the continued improvement of the match list in the upcoming years.

First of all, I would like to give a late Congratulations to all the RVU students that matched! They have been under the microscope from day one, and considering that they are graduating their first class, I think that this is a solid match list.

I say this with all the respect in the world. Have you never seen a first graduating class match list before RVU's?

As for the detractors, I just have a few things to say. I too have been cautiously watching how RVU develops over the past few years, and I have to say, although I still have some misgivings, I am impressed with what they have done so far. Some have mentioned the lack of specialties selections outside of FM/IM/PEDS as a sign that the school is producing an inferior graduate. To those I would like to say that based both on the website and personal conversations with the school, I would have to disagree. The mission of the school, and recruitment focus, is on students interested in primary care that want to focus on community based medicine.

I'm pretty sure every DO school's mission statement explicitly spells out the same thing. But it's never been a valid excuse for them in the past, nor has it prevented them from matching in a variety of places. Thanking the mission statement for the match results is like saying that the dedication of a book to the author's mother is the reason why it's the best selling fiction book in America. Its so completely irrelevant to the outcome and every book has the same damn dedication to one of the author's relatives that even if it wasn't completely irrelevant, its totally homogenous across all books/schools.

Plus you're really dodging the only (legit) argument that has ever been raised: that the ACGME will avoid the hell out of RVU. Which was shown to be the case (though only for the first graduating class. could wholly upend itself with the next class for all I know).

Without opening up another war about the validity and quality of RVU, I would like to encourage everyone to support the students in their chosen residencies and I look forward to the continued improvement of the match list in the upcoming years.

full support from me there.

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students,

With graduation behind us, and a new class starting at the end of this summer, many of you were asking about our current admission statistics for the Class of 2016. We have had well over 3,800 applications to RVUCOM for this coming year.

The seats are now held for our incoming students. Here are the statistics for the incoming class of 160 students:

Mean MCAT: 27.3

Mean Cumulative GPA: 3.56

Mean Science GPA: 3.52

(Please note: The MCAT score for our students is based upon their most recent entire MCAT examination. It is NOT a composite of best section scores from multiple exams. Some schools use a composite, we do not)

I look forward to welcoming the Class of 2016 and all the great things they will accomplish.

Dr. Dubin

impressive. RVU seems to be attracting a decent applicant pool...

It seemed like a lot of candidates during my interview days (at other schools, not RVU) were giving serious thought to RVU. Two said it was their top choice, and one liked it better than DMU.

Anecdotal, I know... but it sounds like they're doing something right over there (marketing, maybe?).

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students,

With graduation behind us, and a new class starting at the end of this summer, many of you were asking about our current admission statistics for the Class of 2016. We have had well over 3,800 applications to RVUCOM for this coming year.

The seats are now held for our incoming students. Here are the statistics for the incoming class of 160 students:

Mean MCAT: 27.3

Mean Cumulative GPA: 3.56

Mean Science GPA: 3.52

(Please note: The MCAT score for our students is based upon their most recent entire MCAT examination. It is NOT a composite of best section scores from multiple exams. Some schools use a composite, we do not)

I look forward to welcoming the Class of 2016 and all the great things they will accomplish.

Dr. Dubin

These may go down by the time the class is finalized in August though.

These may go down by the time the class is finalized in August though.

I agree. There's a good chance it will like every other schools between now and the start date (students withdrawing to go to other schools including MD)

I agree. There's a good chance it will like every other schools between now and the start date (students withdrawing to go to other schools including MD)

I had not thought of that; I'll have access to the finalized stats in August and will post them. My inclination is to think it won't change much but we'll see for sure when the time comes.

impressive. RVU seems to be attracting a decent applicant pool...

Why?
- Location. Colorado is amazing. The only other medical school in the state is CU, which is one of the most competitive state schools out there. The only other medical schools in the Rocky Mountain region are in New Mexico and Utah, neither of which take out of state applicants.
- Very nice and brand new facility.
- Lots of quality teaching staff.
- Current students seem very happy and excited about their experiences there.
- Solid rotation sites in Denver and beyond.

and if you are lucky enough to get into CU as an OOS student, have fun dishing out ~90k/yr for tuition/fees, living expenses, etc... The OOS tuition is like 60k/yr... No thanks!

And they are developing residency options for people who want to stay in Colorado. I am applying to their EDP. My stats are competitive anywhere, but I want to stay in CO, and I have toured and talked to RVU staff many times. I get a little frustrated with people who assume that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for applicants, just because they don't like the school.

Last edited:
And there are developing residency options for people who want to stay in Colorado. I am applying to their EDP. My stats are competitive anywhere, but I want to stay in CO, and I have toured and talked to RVU staff many times. I get a little frustrated with people who assume that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for applicants, just because they don't like the school.

Join the club! GL w/your EDP app :thumbup:

And they are developing residency options for people who want to stay in Colorado. I am applying to their EDP. My stats are competitive anywhere, but I want to stay in CO, and I have toured and talked to RVU staff many times. I get a little frustrated with people who assume that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for applicants, just because they don't like the school.
Good luck! I'm applying here as well this year, just not EDP due to returning from Iraq last November. Hopefully we'll both be in the 2013 matriculating class. :)