RVU-MCOM vs LMU-DCOM (Knoxville)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mondojett

Reaction score
Hey Folks! I am lucky to be accepted into these two schools for the current cycle. I have some down deposits due in about a week and want to decide between the two. I got a general idea of where I am leaning towards but I would love to hear some perspectives from you, especially since I have not visited either campus. Thanks a bunch!

RVU-MCOM
Pro:
  • Cool area to practice medicine (travel to good areas)
  • Pass/Fail grading (with high pass)
  • Seems to emphasize research and competitive specialties
  • Great faculty
  • RVU is well established and knows how to pass board exams
  • Has a lot of new technology to utilize

Con:
  • Not many local rotations, probably moving around
  • Far away and have not seen/been there
  • All online lecture
  • No match rates available
  • No federal loans

LMU-DCOM (Knoxville)
Pro:
  • Established program
  • Eligibility for governmental financial aid
  • Flexibility in class attendance
  • City Location
  • Research seems widely available

Con:
  • Rotations seem to be all over the place (good and bad ones)
  • More expensive housing in city
  • No pass/ fail
  • Traveling faculty between campuses
  • Seem to have heard some horror stories from students
  • Have not been able to tour the campus
  • Did not hear much about technological expertise

Members don't see this ad.

I know I saw you in the other thread but just to reiterate: this is a nobrainer, LMU is a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Unless you know for a fact RVU is a horrible, awful gulag, go to RVU. I know nothing about that place but it has to be better than LMU

I know I saw you in the other thread but just to reiterate: this is a nobrainer, LMU is a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Unless you know for a fact RVU is a horrible, awful gulag, go to RVU. I know nothing about that place but it has to be better than LMU
Hey what specifically have you heard about the issues at Lmu? I recently got accepted and am trying to decide between LMU and another school. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey what specifically have you heard about the issues at Lmu? I recently got accepted and am trying to decide between LMU and another school. Thanks
Their students can't take a history/do a physical. These things don't just happen; you have to be taught them by attendings, which LMU doesn't have access to apparently.

They have groups of like 10 people around each cadaver in lab. Two groups on 10 share a cadaver; one group comes in after the first dissects.

Their attrition rate is super high.

I met an EM resident (gee, he must be an attending now) who told me absolutely not to go to LMU (he was a graduate of that program)

My friends at LMU (if they're even still enrolled) were horribly stressed about just passing

Their students can't take a history/do a physical. These things don't just happen; you have to be taught them by attendings, which LMU doesn't have access to apparently.

They have groups of like 10 people around each cadaver in lab. Two groups on 10 share a cadaver; one group comes in after the first dissects.

Their attrition rate is super high.

I met an EM resident (gee, he must be an attending now) who told me absolutely not to go to LMU (he was a graduate of that program)

My friends at LMU (if they're even still enrolled) were horribly stressed about just passing
Thank you for the heads up and insight. Sounds like you have had some personal experience/stories from this institute. I appreciate the insight!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user