RVU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droption

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Again I need to ask for help. I friend of mine got a job offer. The salary is 300+RVU and we wonder how much RVU should we expect if he works everyday monday to friday with an average of 15-20 patients a day?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can get a rough estimate using online wRVU tables and knowing what fraction of the patients will be new vs follow ups. I also suspect that "he" is not getting paid for every single RVU he generates, rather a bonus after a certain baseline (used to pay that $300).

I have a similar setup in my clinic and pay structure. I usually see 2-3 new consults a day (almost universally 99205) and 12-15 follow ups which are usually about 40% 99213 and the rest split between 99214 and 99215.

Reactions: 1 user
As mentioned, Average wRVUs is an easy thing to estimate using MGMA tables. Just to get a ballpark number. An yes these only kick in as a bonus after he's generated his base salary.

I believe a more important number to know is the wRVU conversion factor at this job your friend is signing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can get a rough estimate using online wRVU tables and knowing what fraction of the patients will be new vs follow ups. I also suspect that "he" is not getting paid for every single RVU he generates, rather a bonus after a certain baseline (used to pay that $300).

I have a similar setup in my clinic and pay structure. I usually see 2-3 new consults a day (almost universally 99205) and 12-15 follow ups which are usually about 40% 99213 and the rest split between 99214 and 99215.

Out of curiosity what are you billing as 3s? Most people on chemotherapy in my estimation would be level 4s for moderate complexity. I’m entering the world of billing soon and trying to make sure I navigate this right.

Oh
Out of curiosity what are you billing as 3s? Most people on chemotherapy in my estimation would be level 4s for moderate complexity. I’m entering the world of billing soon and trying to make sure I navigate this right.
Anyone on treatment is a level 4. Routine f/u without any real issues is a level 3.