RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramediclizard

Powder chaser
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay folks...

Since there are already people entering the Class of 2014 application cycle, I thought I would start a thread.

Please, please, keep this thread on track. It is meant for pre-DO's interested in attending RVUCOM.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

RVUCOM has been in the news quite a bit with the recent happenings with the administration changes. Does anyone foresee this being a problem with the students getting a good quality education? Is it affecting recruiting? Is it affecting any of the current students? What do current students think of the school so far? I'm curious to know...

RVUCOM has been in the news quite a bit with the recent happenings with the administration changes. Does anyone foresee this being a problem with the students getting a good quality education? Is it affecting recruiting? Is it affecting any of the current students? What do current students think of the school so far? I'm curious to know...

Nope, I do not foresee a single problem with getting a great education. Changes in administration happen, and ours definitely did not leave us in a bad place. There's actually 4 osteopathic schools that have interim deans right now. I don't think it's affecting recruiting because they already had 600 applications in while we were still taking finals. Which makes sense because it's a phenomenal school. If anything, the leadership change will just expose us to another brilliant doc's perspective and add to our already wonderful curriculum. So far, I couldn't have asked for more in a school. It really is fun and exciting learning in a brand new facility with a unique curriculum. If I had the opportunity to choose schools again, I would still choose RVU.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, being a brand new school. They had to make changes in classes, the way the run things, the use of online programs, loans, etc, etc, but I don't think any of that impacted me negatively.

Hopefully a couple more students will give their opinions about the school as well. Good luck with your application process, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me a little bit more about the "unique curriculum?" What separates it from other schools? What makes is so "fun?" Is it the novel curriculum, or just the newness of the school, simply being in med school, or the excitement of being one of the first classes? You've piqued my interest a little more...

BTW - what do you think of Parker. I haven't been there yet, but I really enjoyed Colorado. What can you tell me about the climate, amenities, etc.

Thanks.

Hi everyone!

I have chosen to defer from Rocky Vista for a year. It is in my best interest to work and take a year off just after graduating. Good luck to the person who gets my spot.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the "unique curriculum?" What separates it from other schools? What makes is so "fun?" Is it the novel curriculum, or just the newness of the school, simply being in med school, or the excitement of being one of the first classes? You've piqued my interest a little more...

BTW - what do you think of Parker. I haven't been there yet, but I really enjoyed Colorado. What can you tell me about the climate, amenities, etc.

Thanks.

Good questions.
The curriculum is set up as such: semester 1, basic sciences, intro to everything. then, in semester 2-4, we do the systems learning, where we spend 4-8 weeks on one system (cardio, neuro, psych, etc). Also, through all 4 semesters, we have a 'clinical medicine' course, which is where we learn how to do history/physical/procedures. this is cool, because we have standardized patient (actors) exams, where it's just like being in a clinic. We also have models to practice joint injections, lumbar punctures, etc. There are also simulated (computer) patients that are so realistic, it's weird.
Also, throughout all 4 semesters, we have shadowing experiences, where we're assigned to a physician for that week (3-5 times per semester). they let us do some of the things that we've already learned (take a history, do some OMM, injections, etc). I think it's sweet to have clinical exposure (even if just a little) throughout the first 2 years.
I am sure my excitement comes a little from all of the things you listed, but I also love the Denver area, so that helps a lot too.
Parker itself isn't the most exciting town, but within 30 minutes you can be in denver or in the mountains. It does however, have a good greenbelt that goes forever. It also has a Main St. area that has fun little things to do every now and then. I think it's a good place for a school though, because i'm not too tempted to go into denver all the time, just sometimes... so i can focus on learning. The weather is pretty varying. Summer is 70-95, with occasional evening showers (1-2 per week ish). Spring is anything from a foot of snow to 80 degrees. Winters are 20-50 with some snow, but not usually a ton of snow. Basically, we get 4 seasons, and can have blizzards sometimes.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if anything doesn't make sense. Good luck with your application season-

Alright my secondary is submitted. I need to verify my letters have been received, but now I'm pretty much just playing the waiting game for RVU!

Are there no fellow RVU applicants on SDN out there? I'd like to get to know some people who are applying this year to sort of share the experience. Does anyone else have there application in? Any interview invitations? Come on RVU hopefuls - let me know you're out there and how things are going!

Submitted my secondary application on Monday.
Submitted my LOR's like the day I got my secondary invite, which was like last tuesday.

I can't wait for interviews. RVU is my top choice.

I'm applying!! Should be verified any day now, waitin on that and secondaries!!

Probably one of my top 3 choices as well.

:thumbup:
Great stuff guys. Way to be on the ball. I stopped by admissions the other day and interviews will likely begin shortly after the school year starts (late August or so). The earlier you get verified and secondaries in, the better off you will be.
Let us know if you have any questions.

okay, so the secondary says: Please summarize your personal statement as submitted to AACOMAS and what distinguishes you as a candidate for admission to RVUCOM as an osteopathic medical student.

but, there is no place to type this response. Is this an actual question to respond to? If so, where does the response go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your primary status on the AACOMAS website...not sure what it looks like this year, but you have to have all of your transcripts in and they have to recheck you GPA math.

I haven't seen the 2014 application, but when I did mine for 2012, I downloaded it to my computer and created whatever space I needed to answer any questions that they asked.

Hope this helps some...:xf:

Was the app not submitted online when you did it? From what I can tell, the secondary is filled out and submitted online and that is why I am confused. Some of the questions have space on the application to type directly in a text box, but the one about summarizing the ps does not.

I was confused about the summary as well. I decided the "Tell us anything else about you" and the personal statement summary were the same box. I just notated it in my resonse, "Personal Statement Summary: . . ."

Good to see I'm not alone here!

:thumbup:
Great stuff guys. Way to be on the ball. I stopped by admissions the other day and interviews will likely begin shortly after the school year starts (late August or so). The earlier you get verified and secondaries in, the better off you will be.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Seriously? I was really hoping for a late July interview. :( I just want to know as soon as possible that I will be a med student next year! I hate waiting!

i was really confused about the essay space, so i called kerri in the admissions office (who is amazing by the way) and she said i could just email them to admissions and they would attach them to the rest of my application.

i felt much better emailing them in an attachment because the text box just freaked me out about the space.

i was really confused about the essay space, so i called kerri in the admissions office (who is amazing by the way) and she said i could just email them to admissions and they would attach them to the rest of my application.

i felt much better emailing them in an attachment because the text box just freaked me out about the space.

Oh boy I gave like 2 sentence responses bc it was just a textbox

I am a "non traditional" hoping to attend medical school after a 20-year career as a lawyer. I just finished taking the science pre-med courses. Science GPA is a 3.3 and overall GPA is a 3.5. MCAT score is 21 (B 6, P 7, V 8 and writing R) My AACOMAS application is in and RVU sent me a secondary application and I have completed it. RVU has acknowledged receipt of my secondary appplication. My D.O and science faculty LORs are in as well. I am retaking the MCAT August 5th.

Does RVU accept older career changers?

Anyone accepted with a 21 or lower MCAT?

Will RVU interview me when interviews begin in late August or wait until my scores are released from the August MCAT (late September release date)?

What are my chances of acceptance? Thanks.

I am a "non traditional" hoping to attend medical school after a 20-year career as a lawyer. I just finished taking the science pre-med courses. Science GPA is a 3.3 and overall GPA is a 3.5. MCAT score is 21 (B 6, P 7, V 8 and writing R) My AACOMAS application is in and RVU sent me a secondary application and I have completed it. RVU has acknowledged receipt of my secondary appplication. My D.O and science faculty LORs are in as well. I am retaking the MCAT August 5th.

Will RVU interview me when interviews begin in late August or wait until my scores are released from the August MCAT (late September release date)?

I'm sure RVU accepts older applicants and their MCAT averages are the same as the national average. Your score is on the lower end, but it is not a disqualifying score. RVU will probably offer an interview for the first slot they have available, but I'm sure you can request a later date so that those scores are considered when they make a decision on your app. If you get your scores up, you will have a decent shot at getting an acceptance. With your current score it is more of a stretch.

I don't know a lot of schools will wait for your retake score to be in before asking for an interview so don't get discouraged if its a longer waiting game

Coincidently, we have a student in our class who was also a lawyer. So, yes, they accept career changers. Plus, we have other 'older' students who changed careers.
Admissions will be interested in why you're changing, but I'm sure you already have good answers to that question.

However, I don't know much about whether or not they'll wait for your new score. I assume that if you indicated on the AACOMAS that you're retaking the MCAT, they'll wait for it. I would focus on studying the sciences for your retake. It's possible to be accepted with a 21, but the odds aren't in your favor. Just make it easier on yourself and show the MCAT whose boss.

Good luck in the next month of studying!

Thanks boone95. RVUCOM seems to be the only D.O. school that doesn't send a Supplemental Application to everyone who submits an application through AACOMAS. I'n finishing the Kaplan prep course in about a month and take the MCAT again Agustst 5th. Scores are released in mid September. I've taken so many practice tests that I see questions in my sleep. Thanks for the reply. Other than the MCAT - nothing to do but wait.

Thanks boone95. RVUCOM seems to be the only D.O. school that doesn't send a Supplemental Application to everyone who submits an application through AACOMAS. I'n finishing the Kaplan prep course in about a month and take the MCAT again Agustst 5th. Scores are released in mid September. I've taken so many practice tests that I see questions in my sleep. Thanks for the reply. Other than the MCAT - nothing to do but wait.

You got it. And once you get in, you'll dream about test questions from class too. Perfectly normal. I hope.

Seriously? I was really hoping for a late July interview. :( I just want to know as soon as possible that I will be a med student next year! I hate waiting!

I wouldn't count on late July, but anything is possible. Just hang on and give it a little more time.

Last night I emailed admissions to see if all of my letters were in. Today I received an email stating that everything was in and my application was ready to be reviewed by the Dean of Admissions. I was told that it would probably be a few weeks before I heard anything concerning an interview. Now to the waiting game.

What are the questions on the secondary?

Last night I emailed admissions to see if all of my letters were in. Today I received an email stating that everything was in and my application was ready to be reviewed by the Dean of Admissions. I was told that it would probably be a few weeks before I heard anything concerning an interview. Now to the waiting game.

Your time will come brocimus...don't worry too much. Just try to enjoy some of the summer. Hope to see you soon on your interview day!:thumbup:

I noticed on the secondary app that they are asking for average family income.. and average population of the town we live in..

I was wondering how much this will influence if we are accepted or not? Has anybody talked to admissions about this?

I was wondering, since RVU doesn't have a essay limit, how long were all your responses?

I have about a page, since almost all the schools ask the same exact question, so I'm basically accustomed to that page length.

I was wondering, since RVU doesn't have a essay limit, how long were all your responses?

I have about a page, since almost all the schools ask the same exact question, so I'm basically accustomed to that page length.

one page should be fine. I would call and find out for sure. everyone in the admin office is so nice and willing to help. good luck

I noticed on the secondary app that they are asking for average family income.. and average population of the town we live in..

I was wondering how much this will influence if we are accepted or not? Has anybody talked to admissions about this?

I don't think it influences too much. RVU does support lower income individuals by providing a few scholorships to people who fall into the lower income bracket and will stay in Colorado to meet the demands of primary care in rural areas. Beyond that, I think some of the questions are for demographic purposes. Like Toot said, when in doubt, contact admissions. Kerri would be more than happy to field your questions.
Take care!

If you are invited to interview at RVUCOM, the admissions interview team will have only your personal statement, supplemental application and your letters of reference to review during the interview.

Please summarize your personal statement as submitted to AACOMAS and what distinguishes you as a candidate for admission to RVUCOM as an osteopathic medical student.

I am wondering what RVUCOM is looking for in this. I would call the office right now, but it is probably closed on Sunday. Considering they will only have the personal statement we summarize, wouldn't it be a good idea to write the exact same PS on the secondary too, or do they really want a summary? If a summary, how short do they want it to be? (considering my whole PS was a page and a half long, I doubt they want me to cut that in half?)

Also, are you guys writing additonal information on what distinguishes as a candidate for admission, or basically just summarizing the PS?

If you are invited to interview at RVUCOM, the admissions interview team will have only your personal statement, supplemental application and your letters of reference to review during the interview.

Please summarize your personal statement as submitted to AACOMAS and what distinguishes you as a candidate for admission to RVUCOM as an osteopathic medical student.

I am wondering what RVUCOM is looking for in this. I would call the office right now, but it is probably closed on Sunday. Considering they will only have the personal statement we summarize, wouldn't it be a good idea to write the exact same PS on the secondary too, or do they really want a summary? If a summary, how short do they want it to be? (considering my whole PS was a page and a half long, I doubt they want me to cut that in half?)

Also, are you guys writing additonal information on what distinguishes as a candidate for admission, or basically just summarizing the PS?

I just summarized mine. It appears as only one line on the application but it continues across as you type. I copy and pasted from MS Word and it fits about 1 paragraph in there, which I guess would qualify for a summary.
I don't understand why they wouldn't have your primary app. statement for the interview though, since that would give a better picture to them then just a summary.

I think I am just going to copy and paste my personal statement. I don't find it a legit reason to "summarize" a personal statement. Considering they aren't even going to look at the one on the primary applicatoin, I dont see why I should be summarizing it. I feel everything I have written is important in getting the right message across. On top of that, it contains some qualities that I believe make me unique, which should answer their other questions.

what distinguishes you as a candidate for admission to RVUCOM as an osteopathic medical student.

Are any of you writing anything extra for that, or just the personal statement? I feel as if their other 3 essays, and the PS should be enough to distinguish me from other students.:idea:

I just called admissions on the phone.. Katie just told me that the personal statement and what distinguishes you is a totally OPTIONAL question....

if you feel like you have distinguished yourself through the three essays and the primary personal statement, there is no need to add anything in that textbook.. what a relief :p

(I think it would kinda look bad just writing a summary of a PS., some of the points and meaning would get lost)

I just called admissions on the phone.. Katie just told me that the personal statement and what distinguishes you is a totally OPTIONAL question....

if you feel like you have distinguished yourself through the three essays and the primary personal statement, there is no need to add anything in that textbook.. what a relief :p

(I think it would kinda look bad just writing a summary of a PS., some of the points and meaning would get lost)

you know again i am really annoyed that these "essays" were a single text box. I thought they were like 1-2 sentence explanations. What a waste..

My three essays were about a half a page each. For the PS summary I wrote four or five sentences with the main points.

so I don't know and D.O.s how big a deal do you think it is if I don't have a letter of recomendation from one? I have a letter from an MD, do you think I should just enter him?

also...the essay sections have room for like one sentence, is it the same for you guys or is my computer being screwy, they are pretty big questions for one sentence

so I don't know and D.O.s how big a deal do you think it is if I don't have a letter of recomendation from one? I have a letter from an MD, do you think I should just enter him?

also...the essay sections have room for like one sentence, is it the same for you guys or is my computer being screwy, they are pretty big questions for one sentence

Check out the previous posts above.

ahh I guess reading helps. Whats strange is my questions are slightly different from the ones posted...maybe they cleaned it up a bit. So what do you think, am I wasting my time applying without a letter from a DO?

ahh I guess reading helps. Whats strange is my questions are slightly different from the ones posted...maybe they cleaned it up a bit. So what do you think, am I wasting my time applying without a letter from a DO?

Sorry, I meant your question concerning the text boxes. Also, NO. If the school does not require a DO letter specifically then you are not wasting your time at all.

*sigh* here goes.....Anyone been thinking that applying to RVUCOM and paying the money for the secondary may have not been the best idea? Might sound weird but I am seriously starting to have second thoughts on this school.

Would someone mind posting the secondary prompts?

*sigh* here goes.....Anyone been thinking that applying to RVUCOM and paying the money for the secondary may have not been the best idea? Might sound weird but I am seriously starting to have second thoughts on this school.

Droogdoc, care to elaborate on the source of your second thoughts?