RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, the thread is part of it. Not to mention articles in the JAOA. Plenty of info out there, especially SDN.

Seems to me that many DO applicants treat RVU like MD applicants treat DO schools: they remain on the fence until they find out if they get their first choice. You are, of course, free to form whatever opinion you like of the school, but I think that if you have a negative opinion of it at this stage you should withdraw your application before you get any acceptances. Don't apply if you wouldn't be proud to go there.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I have some friends that look down their noses at DO schools only after they were accepted MD. They are free to think what they will of DOs, it is their waivering that bothers me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems to me that many DO applicants treat RVU like MD applicants treat DO schools: they remain on the fence until they find out if they get their first choice. You are, of course, free to form whatever opinion you like of the school, but I think that if you have a negative opinion of it at this stage you should withdraw your application before you get any acceptances. Don't apply if you wouldn't be proud to go there.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I have some friends that look down their noses at DO schools only after they were accepted MD. They are free to think what they will of DOs, it is their waivering that bothers me.

You arent being rude, in fact you are correct. I take the blam for not looking at the school carefully enough. Do your research otherwise this is what happens.

This is a good point and I totally agree with what you are saying. I know last year my wife was on the fence about RVU, she withdrew after researching the school and decided she would just reapply (only to schools we really felt good about) if she didn't get in elsewhere. She would not have been happy there so chose not to pursue it, which is what I think you are trying to get across--which is just good advice regardless of the school! :thumbup:

No second thoughts here. RVU is my first choice among D.O. schools. Second overall. I've read all the posts on SDN, and a few articles out there (including positive ones). Take it all with a grain of salt. For me, I saw some pretty big holes in the arguments against RVU. I visited the school, liked what I saw, liked what current students have to say about it. I don't feel like I am taking a risk by going to RVU and I am confident I will be a successful student there.

On another note - I am emailing admissions tonight to see where they are at in the process. When I confirmed that my app was complete, Erica said that it would be a few weeks before anyone heard anything about interviews as they were focusing on getting the incoming class settled. I bet it will be another couple weeks before invites start going out, but I just want to get the latest info.

No second thoughts here. RVU is my first choice among D.O. schools. Second overall. I've read all the posts on SDN, and a few articles out there (including positive ones). Take it all with a grain of salt. For me, I saw some pretty big holes in the arguments against RVU. I visited the school, liked what I saw, liked what current students have to say about it. I don't feel like I am taking a risk by going to RVU and I am confident I will be a successful student there.

On another note - I am emailing admissions tonight to see where they are at in the process. When I confirmed that my app was complete, Erica said that it would be a few weeks before anyone heard anything about interviews as they were focusing on getting the incoming class settled. I bet it will be another couple weeks before invites start going out, but I just want to get the latest info.

I heard the rocky vista folded. There are many students that transferred into our osteopathic program from there.

That would be false. I received an email today from Kerri and she said that interview invites would go out the middle of this month and interviews would begin on September 15th. Just a couple more weeks and we'll start hearing!

I heard the rocky vista folded. There are many students that transferred into our osteopathic program from there.

Gotta love the SDN rumor mill...

Since I am sitting in the library of my awesome school on the first day of my second year, I can say for certain that RVU is up and stronger than ever. The first years are here, ready to learn. The second years are back, ready to learn.

Two people transfered to LMU-DCOM (one I happy to see go --> he was a bit of a bad egg IMO), not many.

Always be careful what you hear...If you don't believe me, come visit.

That would be false. I received an email today from Kerri and she said that interview invites would go out the middle of this month and interviews would begin on September 15th. Just a couple more weeks and we'll start hearing!

Can't wait to meet you in person Bro...Let us know when you get your interview. I will be sure to stop by and say hi!

Haha, that's actually comical!

We had a number of great updates from the dean today. I've never worried about the school surviving, but today instilled even more confidence and excitement.

Of course, you can't please everyone, so best of luck to the 2 people who left.

For those current students or those applying familiar with the area, what is the cost of living like around RVU?
Also, what is the closest ski resort?

Do you have any specific cost questions? I think the overall cost of living is pretty reasonable. It's not dirt cheap, but it's definitely not expensive. My 2 bedroom apartment is $770/month if that gives you any kind of gauge.

Skiing is close or far depending on when you're driving. During the week you can get to Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, Copper Mountain and Breckenridge in about 1.5-2 hours. On weekends traffic can slow you down to 3 hours on a bad day. Loveland ski area is about 15 minutes closer. Winter Park is maybe a smidge closer. Echo Mountain is new, and I don't know much about it, but it's only 45-60 minutes away I believe.

Quite a few students hit the slopes during the school year. There are some fantastic deals for season passes too. If you don't mind watching lectures on the computer after skiing, skipping an occasional day for some powder is alright too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call today as well. I was at work, so I didn't answer and I just checked my messages tonight. I will be calling them back first thing in the morning! Gratz to those who also got calls today!

Let the interviews begin! Can't wait to meet all of you. Congratulations is all who have been given interviews.

Alright so I received an interview invite but I cannot make any of the dates. Unfortunately there are no other dates as of yet and they told me to call back when I am available... which is any week besides that one. Doesn't really make any sense :confused:

I'd recommend digging much deeper and not base decisions on the superficial or location. Look into your education there and at the very least, look past the first two years of classrom and at training "opportunities" beyond. I'd closely look at everything else before you get locked into something you didn't anticipate unless you have absolutely no other options - and then I'd still reconsider. How you feel and the facts of the situation are two drastically different things. Just my opinion. Good luck.

I'd recommend digging much deeper and not base decisions on the superficial or location. Look into your education there and at the very least, look past the first two years of classrom and at training "opportunities" beyond. I'd closely look at everything else before you get locked into something you didn't anticipate unless you have absolutely no other options - and then I'd still reconsider. How you feel and the facts of the situation are two drastically different things. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Believe me, I have looked into this deeply and the facts say this is a good opportunity.

I called and informed them I was not available for the two available dates (have another interview), they told me there are currently no other dates available, and they would reevaluate my file once other dates were added. Seems strange.

I did receive an e-mail at one point or another saying I was going to be "fast-tracked" but have no idea what they means. Maybe those are the only dates for people who are "fast-tracked" and I would need to be reevaluated with people who were not fast tracked.

Erie had the same thing where they had limited dates (as in two or three) available. Just seems strange to me.

I received a similar email saying

"Thanks for your message and your file is complete and ready to be reviewed by our Director of Admissions. It may take a few weeks before you hear anything as we’re busy trying to get ready for our incoming class. But as soon as they’re settled, we’ll get you fast-tracking through Admissions. “) Take care, Kerri"

but I haven't heard anything about an interview. It may have just been a phrase and not referring to "fast track" in the typical admissions sense

I received a similar email saying

"Thanks for your message and your file is complete and ready to be reviewed by our Director of Admissions. It may take a few weeks before you hear anything as we’re busy trying to get ready for our incoming class. But as soon as they’re settled, we’ll get you fast-tracking through Admissions. “) Take care, Kerri"

but I haven't heard anything about an interview. It may have just been a phrase and not referring to "fast track" in the typical admissions sense

That was my original suspicion, but I have never heard of being "reevaluated" because you could not attend the two currently available interview dates. That is why has me perturbed. Erie did not do this, they just said they would let me know when more dates were available.

I called admissions today and set up my interview for September 15th. They said that things would start around noon and be done by 5:00. Any other September 15ers out there?

I called admissions today and set up my interview for September 15th. They said that things would start around noon and be done by 5:00. Any other September 15ers out there?

Nice bro...first day I think...:luck:

See you then!

That was my original suspicion, but I have never heard of being "reevaluated" because you could not attend the two currently available interview dates. That is why has me perturbed. Erie did not do this, they just said they would let me know when more dates were available.

There should be dates to go around. Whatever specific questions that you have about the admissions process and what dates are available, I wouldn't hesitate to contact admissions directly by phone.

From what I remember about last years process, there are about 15-20 or so dates before the winter holiday break. Then there are 20 or so more into the spring semester.

There should be dates to go around. Whatever specific questions that you have about the admissions process and what dates are available, I wouldn't hesitate to contact admissions directly by phone.

From what I remember about last years process, there are about 15-20 or so dates before the winter holiday break. Then there are 20 or so more into the spring semester.

I did directly contact admissions. September 15th and 16th were the only available dates, and I have an interview already which knocks both of those dates out. I asked about other available dates and was informed that there are none at this time. The woman in admissions told me that once other dates were added, I would be reevaluated for an interview, meaning I might not be offered the other dates.

I did directly contact admissions. September 15th and 16th were the only available dates, and I have an interview already which knocks both of those dates out. I asked about other available dates and was informed that there are none at this time. The woman in admissions told me that once other dates were added, I would be reevaluated for an interview, meaning I might not be offered the other dates.

hmm. Interesting. I wouldn't sweat it too much. But that might come off as being 'easy for me to say.' Seriously though, those are the first two dates and there are bound to be more. :thumbup:

I'm sure they're taking into account the fact that you've applied to other schools as well as theirs. I wouldn't sweat it too much until after the new class settles in.

Believe me, I have looked into this deeply and the facts say this is a good opportunity.

ever looked into your third year scedule? it seens that the recent move of RVU have pissed off every single big hospital in the area, and you would have to be shipped around for training.

I am sure that won't be a problem though, because you probably end up getting those caribean student oriented spots somewhere, all over the country. You sound like you love travel, I am sure traveling every month to a new spot and secure new leases is oodles of fun!

ever looked into your third year scedule? it seens that the recent move of RVU have pissed off every single big hospital in the area, and you would have to be shipped around for training.

I am sure that won't be a problem though, because you probably end up getting those caribean student oriented spots somewhere, all over the country. You sound like you love travel, I am sure traveling every month to a new spot and secure new leases is oodles of fun!

Just an FYI they told us at orientation that 2/3rds of the class would be in the Denver area and the rest will be in either Grand Junction, Pueblo, or Colorado Springs. The only time you have to be shipped around is for the rural primary care rotation which is 2 months. So save your snarky comments unless you know what you are actually talking about.

Just an FYI they told us at orientation that 2/3rds of the class would be in the Denver area and the rest will be in either Grand Junction, Pueblo, or Colorado Springs. The only time you have to be shipped around is for the rural primary care rotation which is 2 months. So save your snarky comments unless you know what you are actually talking about.

might want to ask your admin about those contracts with hospitals in those area, you know, the clincial spots?

might want to ask your admin about those contracts with hospitals in those area, you know, the clincial spots?

Ya, I'm pretty sure that they can't lie to us about something like that. And how would you know anyway? Don't you go to school all the way across the country? And an MD school for that matter? I don't get why you are always posting in this group if you are a medical student and have no interest going to this school. You are constantly trying to start trouble and to be honest it's getting old. You don't know anything about my school so stop acting like you do.

Bummer. I really don't know what adcoms are looking for anymore. Was put on dmu fast track, pre secondary interview at touro nevada and interview invite at wvsom. Disqualified for interview invite at RV 3 days after my file was complete. :(

Way to start the weekend...

Bummer. I really don't know what adcoms are looking for anymore. Was put on dmu fast track, pre secondary interview at touro nevada and interview invite at wvsom. Disqualified for interview invite at RV 3 days after my file was complete. :(

sorry to hear that...you should call the admin office on monday and ask them. They are really nice and I'm sure they would not mind telling you. Good luck :xf:

It's because they are not all looking for the same thing. I would be thrilled with the interview invites you already have. I have already been rejected by Des Moines and RVU but have 3 other interviews, so really nobody knows exactly what peaks a schools interest and what turns them off. Just take what you have already and expect the best. Your obviously well qualified if you received invites from those great schools

It's because they are not all looking for the same thing. I would be thrilled with the interview invites you already have. I have already been rejected by Des Moines and RVU but have 3 other interviews, so really nobody knows exactly what peaks a schools interest and what turns them off. Just take what you have already and expect the best. Your obviously well qualified if you received invites from those great schools

Remember, you are a better applicant than you think you are.

My application was complete and I received an e-mail stating that I would not be invited to interview. My MCAT score was a 21S. I took the MCAT again on August 5th - scores due to be released on or about September 8th. I was told on the phone that most likely a decision would be deferred until the new score was released and now this.

What a disappointment! Best wishes to everyone else. :scared:

Ya, I'm pretty sure that they can't lie to us about something like that. And how would you know anyway? Don't you go to school all the way across the country? And an MD school for that matter? I don't get why you are always posting in this group if you are a medical student and have no interest going to this school. You are constantly trying to start trouble and to be honest it's getting old. You don't know anything about my school so stop acting like you do.

:thumbup:
Couldn't say it better myself.

My application was complete and I received an e-mail stating that I would not be invited to interview. My MCAT score was a 21S. I took the MCAT again on August 5th - scores due to be released on or about September 8th. I was told on the phone that most likely a decision would be deferred until the new score was released and now this.

What a disappointment! Best wishes to everyone else. :scared:

Lawyer...hang in there. I hope your MCATs turn out the way that you hoped. I had a really hard time with the MCATs and ended up taking them 3 times. If medicine is what you want, fight until you get it! :luck:

Hey Lizard,

The uplift is appreciated. I'm going to call Admissions on Monday and politely ask them if the reason for rejection was low MCAT alone or other reasons. If MCAT, I'll point out that my AACOMAS application said that I was scheduled to re-take the MACAT August 5th. I, in fact retook it then. Perhaps they will re-evalute my application when they receive my higher scores (I am optimistic).

The flight continues. Thanks.

Hey Lizard,

The uplift is appreciated. I'm going to call Admissions on Monday and politely ask them if the reason for rejection was low MCAT alone or other reasons. If MCAT, I'll point out that my AACOMAS application said that I was scheduled to re-take the MACAT August 5th. I, in fact retook it then. Perhaps they will re-evalute my application when they receive my higher scores (I am optimistic).

They out-right rejected you? Or are you talking about "hold" or "re-reviewed at a later date" ?

I got REJECTED too. I laughed when I read the email, actually. Dont know what they are looking for. I must be a strong applicant as I have 6 intervies so far.

Maybe the problem is their one-line text box responses on their secondaries, where people actually followed the directions and "summarized" their PS and it ended up being incoherent.

Not shedding any tears on this one.

Hey Lizard,

Sounds like a good plan. When do you find out your score? Should be soon right...

Just stay the course.

I got REJECTED too. I laughed when I read the email, actually. Dont know what they are looking for. I must be a strong applicant as I have 6 intervies so far.

Maybe the problem is their one-line text box responses on their secondaries, where people actually followed the directions and "summarized" their PS and it ended up being incoherent.

Not shedding any tears on this one.

Well, it sounds like RVU wasn't your top choice anyway.

A good friend told me during my pre-medical time that one thing is certain, you will get rejected from somewhere and some point in the process.

Good luck with your interviews! I'm sure that where ever you end up is where you are ultimately supposed to be. :luck:

rejected as well.

good luck to everyone else.

How were these rejections delivered? Email im assuming. Did they come pre-secondary? If post, how long after did you hear back? If you dont mind me asking you couple who got rejected, what were your stats?

How were these rejections delivered? Email im assuming. Did they come pre-secondary? If post, how long after did you hear back? If you dont mind me asking you couple who got rejected, what were your stats?

It was post-secondary & by email, my secondary was complete in late June with them.

I wont really comment on this anymore, as RVU threads on SDN seem to be monitored by some Soviet-style politburo. It is sad that when people voice their opinions about a school, which may be negative, they are pounced upon by current students immediately any time day or night. Any thread, on any other school on SDN doesn't seem to be so touchy when people have disagreements on the school.
Does anyone at RVU study, or just patrol SDN????

It was post-secondary & by email, my secondary was complete in late June with them.

I wont really comment on this anymore, as RVU threads on SDN seem to be monitored by some Soviet-style politburo. It is sad that when people voice their opinions about a school, which may be negative, they are pounced upon by current students immediately any time day or night. Any thread, on any other school on SDN doesn't seem to be so touchy when people have disagreements on the school.
Does anyone at RVU study, or just patrol SDN????

I personally have NO problem when people say they don't like the school and they would not go here for such and such reason. More power to you. Go for it. What I DO have a problem with is when people make comments about things that they do not know about (aka. Our clinical rotation sites). How would a student at a different school in a different region of the country in a completely different program (MD rather than DO) know anything about our rotation sites?? Saying that we will be shipped around the country for our rotations because no Colorado hospitals want us is NOT a disagreement. It is a lie. If you say you hate the school because of the curriculum or atmosphere or something like that, than you should express your opinion. What people should not do is say things that are not true.
And in regards to us checking SDN all the time...it is NOT because we are policing people's negative comments. If you haven't noticed, the two students who post here most often are a lot of the time answering prospective student's questions or giving words of encouragement. And everyone needs a study break every now and then.

I wasnt mentioning the student above who says he attends Columbia P&S, because I will agree with you on that one. I meant me and the large number of people on the 2008-2009 thread.

Ok. Now I'm out! For real this time....