RVUCOM vs DMUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomBradycardia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been accepted at both RVU and DMU and deposits are due this week so I would like some input on these two schools.

RVUCOM

Pros
  • Loved Parker CO and CO in general. Beautiful area.
  • Felt like students were more similar to me
  • Lots of outdoor activities to do
  • Really like the systems based curriculum where you learn how everything as it functions normally then abnormally
  • Has a Wilderness/Rural educational track
  • Could see myself being happy doing residency in the area
  • GF more willing to move to Denver area
  • Have some other personal ties to Fort Collins
Cons
  • Seems like it's an expensive area
  • Small/no campus. The singular building felt empty
  • Rotations third year seem to be all over? Other than the hospital in Denver I think I'd have to move around a lot
  • Newer school
  • Board scores and match list seems like it's not quite to par with DMU

DMUCOM

Pros
  • Had a true campus "feel"
  • Facilities were great, had a nice library and cafeteria
  • Strong history/100 yr alumni network
  • Cheaper/lower cost of living in Des Moines
  • Gym on campus
  • In an actual city with strong clinical relationships w/ surrounding hospitals
  • Better research opportunities
  • Seems like boards/match list is better
Cons
  • Didn't like the curriculum set up quite as much as RVU, but I like that there are PBL based electives
  • Outside of Des Moines I can't really see myself living there. Didn't even really have time to explore Des Moines anyway.
  • Weather seems brutal (Snow October -> April??)
  • GF has no interest in moving there
  • Seemed like students were not as similar as me

Summary: Overall, I liked DMU as a school a lot better than RVU but the location is really concerning to me. I have a feeling I'll be interested in a more competitive residency though so I'm really on the fence. Would appreciate any input anyone has, especially from current students!

Members don't see this ad.

DMU with its regionally recognized name, you will need it comes Match time 2024.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember friend that med school has ZERO down time. We ran 5 miles at lunch and then ate during the 1pm lecture. I worked out every other day at a gym as fast as possible, biked in pace while studying even there...and stayed FIT. Most of the class did not. There were a small group of us that did. You will NOT be 'enjoying the wilderness' areas in Colorado because you will be studying 12 hours straight every weekend. GET REAL. You can rotate through the Co area hospitals as a 3-4th year and see if you like the area. And the PBL system rates LOWER on boards and rotations as well because they lack the fundamental foundation to UNDERSTAND. (caps are not yelling--for emphasis only lol) And as an aside? your GF will 99% sure never make it w/you thru med school since you have no life, no time and the time you do have you will want to run, hike, etc as you seem athletic. I was a surfer girl from Hawaii and found ways to stay fit as above. My BF was gone by month 6. We had a class of 150--EVERY person was divorced who was married but ONE, all GFs gone (lo-o-o-ong gone);) we had a few marriages to fellow students etc but TIME? you have none. Go to DesMoines--better school, better rotations as a 3-4th, better Residency chances. If you are trying to decide based on play time areas? Then you are not looking at reality.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users