RVUs for CP work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share what their practice/department uses for RVU calculations for the professional component billing for CP cases? In particular the 84165 Protein electrophoresis and its like, which have a 2018 Medicare reimbursement of $18.71. I'm doing an enormous number of these. My department does not share our RVU data with us. I'm trying to calculate mine out the best I can to negotiate with them for better pay (or make the decision to take an outside offer), but I can't seem to locate an RVU conversion for these CP professional components. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can look up the RVUs online. The fact that your department (I'm assuming your academic) doesn't share this data with you speaks volumes though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you work backwards and figure using the RVU conversion factor of $35.99, each is worth 0.52 RVU.

Several other members of my group and myself also sign out quite a few SPEP and IFE. Amounts to a pretty decent chunk of change when you do 50+ a day. Some academic centers bill globally and dont let the physicians bill since they pay them a "medical director" fee. In other words, they are skimming off the top.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone share what their practice/department uses for RVU calculations for the professional component billing for CP cases? In particular the 84165 Protein electrophoresis and its like, which have a 2018 Medicare reimbursement of $18.71. I'm doing an enormous number of these. My department does not share our RVU data with us. I'm trying to calculate mine out the best I can to negotiate with them for better pay (or make the decision to take an outside offer), but I can't seem to locate an RVU conversion for these CP professional components. Thanks!

Time to man up and tell them you will start billing for your own work like other doctors do.

You can look up the RVUs online. The fact that your department (I'm assuming your academic) doesn't share this data with you speaks volumes though.

Yeah, I'm academic.

Well if you work backwards and figure using the RVU conversion factor of $35.99, each is worth 0.52 RVU.

Several other members of my group and myself also sign out quite a few SPEP and IFE. Amounts to a pretty decent chunk of change when you do 50+ a day. Some academic centers bill globally and dont let the physicians bill since they pay them a "medical director" fee. In other words, they are skimming off the top.

Wow, that is higher than I realized. Thank you! We do bill individually for these, but the money goes to the path department.

Time to man up and tell them you will start billing for your own work like other doctors do.

Indeed. Using the .52 RVU suggested above for the SPEP/IFEs and summing everything up, puts me at about 13,000 RVUs this year. For an academic position. This makes me feel better about the fact that I feel like death, but not so great about my life choices.

Holy crap 13k rvu. Are you CP only? You Better be making bank. If not- Get the F out of academia. Worst place to practice path. Academic institutions and their respective path dept chairmans are all crooks who exploit and underpay.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm academic.

Wow, that is higher than I realized. Thank you! We do bill individually for these, but the money goes to the path department.

Indeed. Using the .52 RVU suggested above for the SPEP/IFEs and summing everything up, puts me at about 13,000 RVUs this year. For an academic position. This makes me feel better about the fact that I feel like death, but not so great about my life choices.

Of course your academic. A blind man could read that in your post. You will
NEVER, EVER be given any assistance with or guidance, or access to
departmental and financial documents that show how much money you generate.
It would stun you.

I sincerely doubt $500k is ever the salary for a CP only pathology position at an academic center. In most path academic departments, CP faculty are second class citizens to AP faculty - if that’s even possible. The fact you are probably generating 3 times the amount of money you’re being paid is unusual though. Most departments have to subsidize CP faculty salaries since there are so few associated billable professional codes on those services.

Reactions: 1 user