RWJMS vs. Stony Brook vs. Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CheerfulCheerios

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NYC based applicant who am really excited to receive three medical school acceptances this cycle! I am hoping to match back to residency in NYC.

RWJMS
Pros
- in state tuition (40k), no aid
- an hour from NYC
- have friends in the program
- New medical school building opening next to university hospital April 2026
- no mandatory lectures

Cons
- current facilities are depressing (I enjoy studying in libraries often), disconnected from hospital
- heavy commuter school (worried since I study in groups)
- not much to do in the area
- internal ranking
- poor match rate this year (93%), from a friend heard that many did not match even after research years
- does not have a strong ENT/plastics department (not sure what I want to go into but this would limit my options)
- In-house exams
- currently doesn't have a sim center (unless I didn't see it at the tour?)

Stony Brook (admittedly, I know the least about)
Pros
- high match rate (98%)
- great research
- more specialty focused (?)
- NBME exams
- no mandatory lectures
- nicer facilities
- matches well into NYC
Cons
- also a commuter school (what I've heard)
- heard there are internal funding issues (unsure how much of this is true)
- 1st year would be OOS tuition (60-70k)
- three hours from NYC
- area around also seems deserted, not sure what there is to do around there

Penn State
Pros
- very nice community of students
- most live on campus
- very updated library with many students studying
- large sim center
- incredibly integrated into the hospital
- has every specialty, focused on surgical
- P/F for clinical in addition to pre-clinical
- does not match many back to NYC
Cons
- located in rural areas
- only entertainment is Hershey Park and farms
- far from NYC (three hours)
- In-house exams
- tuition 60k
 
Current Stony Brook student. Not sure what funding issues you're talking about, that's the first I've heard of anything and I don't feel like we're lacking in much. As for housing, most students don't live on campus but don't commute from their parents house either. Most of us get houses/apartments off campus with other med students. I feel like this is the norm with the majority of med students in the US because I have friends in many different schools and I don't know any who use campus housing other than people that go to school in the city (like Cornell or Sinai). It's pretty normal for most med students to have a car and live off campus, but that doesn't mean you'll never see friends in the library studying.

I would take off Penn State. Expensive, most random location, and in-house exams. Before choosing between Stony and Rutgers, I'd try to figure out the cost difference between the two by the end of the 4 years. Trying not to be biased but I like Stony and I think the NBME exams are a major pro, but of course with schools so closely ranked it really doesn't make much of a difference and cost should be an important factor.
 
Rwjms just started an ENT residency this year with 2 residents per year and they matched 1 rwjms student