Rxn Equilibrium help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allstardentist

All-Star
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NO + 1/2 O2 <-> NO2

What would be the effect upon the equilibrium if the size of the vessel decreased?
A. The eq. would shift to the right
B. The eq. would shift to the left
C. The eq. would not change
D. Keq would increase
E. Two of the above.

The answer is A. I thought it was E (thinking A and D are correct). I was thinking if there are more moles of the product, then the Keq increases. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my logic?. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

allstardentist said:
NO + 1/2 O2 <-> NO2

What would be the effect upon the equilibrium if the size of the vessel decreased?
A. The eq. would shift to the right
B. The eq. would shift to the left
C. The eq. would not change
D. Keq would increase
E. Two of the above.

The answer is A. I thought it was E (thinking A and D are correct). I was thinking if there are more moles of the product, then the Keq increases. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my logic?. Thanks

i *think* that if you decrease vessel size, that means youre increasing pressure,with increased pressure,eq shifts towards the side with less moles. which would be the right. im pretty sure im right..someone will correct me if im not.

amsie said:
i *think* that if you decrease vessel size, that means youre increasing pressure,with increased pressure,eq shifts towards the side with less moles. which would be the right. im pretty sure im right..someone will correct me if im not.

You are absolutely right on this one amsie! And I think your dog is WAY cute ;) One way that I like to think of these is to visualize how many molecules per volume of space the container has (as a ratio). That way, if I'm going from a larger container to a smaller one, I know the moles have to decrease. This is in keeping with LaChatlie's principle.

tom_servo_dds said:
You are absolutely right on this one amsie! And I think your dog is WAY cute ;) One way that I like to think of these is to visualize how many molecules per volume of space the container has (as a ratio). That way, if I'm going from a larger container to a smaller one, I know the moles have to decrease. This is in keeping with LaChatlie's principle.

thanks :) shes quite the princess. there are many ways to word lechateliers principle problems,i guess their way of trying to **** with your brain. BAH!