1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Rxn Equilibrium help

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by allstardentist, Jul 19, 2006.

1. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    NO + 1/2 O2 <-> NO2

What would be the effect upon the equilibrium if the size of the vessel decreased?
    A. The eq. would shift to the right
    B. The eq. would shift to the left
    C. The eq. would not change
    D. Keq would increase
    E. Two of the above.

The answer is A. I thought it was E (thinking A and D are correct). I was thinking if there are more moles of the product, then the Keq increases. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my logic?. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fancymylotus

fancymylotus A Whole New World
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

i *think* that if you decrease vessel size, that means youre increasing pressure,with increased pressure,eq shifts towards the side with less moles. which would be the right. im pretty sure im right..someone will correct me if im not.

4. tom_servo_dds

tom_servo_dds Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are absolutely right on this one amsie! And I think your dog is WAY cute ;) One way that I like to think of these is to visualize how many molecules per volume of space the container has (as a ratio). That way, if I'm going from a larger container to a smaller one, I know the moles have to decrease. This is in keeping with LaChatlie's principle.

5. fancymylotus

fancymylotus A Whole New World
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

thanks :) shes quite the princess. there are many ways to word lechateliers principle problems,i guess their way of trying to **** with your brain. BAH!