RXPrep vs NAPLEX Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby Atwood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously, please don't share actual NAPLEX questions:

I am working my way through the RXPrep book and RXPrep question bank. I was wondering how representative the RXPrep questions actually are. If they are pretty true to the exam, I should pass; however, I'm a little worried that they test prep-book info and not actual exam topics. I may be doing okay on the test bank questions simply because they are based on the RXPrep book materials that I am using for study. :(

In your opinion, are the NAPLEX questions harder, easier, or about the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I am working my way through the RXPrep book and RXPrep question bank. I was wondering how representative the RXPrep questions actually are. If they are pretty true to the exam, I should pass; however, I'm a little worried that they test prep-book info and not actual exam topics. I may be doing okay on the test bank questions simply because they are based on the RXPrep book materials that I am using for study. :(

I would say if you want a true representation then take the official practice exam: Pre-Naplex.
RXPrep book in my opinion is easier than the RXPrep test bank.

Reactions: 1 user

The PreNaplex questions were definitely much better review for the actual NAPLEX

That said I also spent extensive time on RxPrep and for certain bits, it was actually very helpful. I only went through the main disease states on RxPrep though (chronic, oncology, HIV) and I would say the average question on RxPrep test bank is above the level of question you would see on the actual NAPLEX. Especially the select all of the above format questions.

I actually took the NAPLEX today and overall I am very happy i got the test bank questions.

Reactions: 1 users
The PreNaplex questions were definitely much better review for the actual NAPLEX

That said I also spent extensive time on RxPrep and for certain bits, it was actually very helpful. I only went through the main disease states on RxPrep though (chronic, oncology, HIV) and I would say the average question on RxPrep test bank is above the level of question you would see on the actual NAPLEX. Especially the select all of the above format questions.

I actually took the NAPLEX today and overall I am very happy i got the test bank questions.

I agree with this statement. I took the NAPLEX today, too. I felt discouraged by doing not as great on the RxPrep quizzes but when I went to the NAPLEX, I felt definitely prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been scoring 65 to 75 on Rxprep test banks. They are hella hard and it's so discouraging. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I still have 5 weeks until I take the Naplex and planning on taking Prenaplex in a couple weeks to assess myself.

I've been scoring 65 to 75 on Rxprep test banks. They are hella hard and it's so discouraging. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I still have 5 weeks until I take the Naplex and planning on taking Prenaplex in a couple weeks to assess myself.

Same! I actually just changed my studying strategy and I feel like I'm doing better on the questions. But some chapters the questions are super hard.

I read somewhere that getting 60% of the questions right generally will result in about a 75 on the exam. I forget the source, but I think it was something only semi-reliable and it was from an older article, so take that number with a grain of salt.

I read somewhere that getting 60% of the questions right generally will result in about a 75 on the exam. I forget the source, but I think it was something only semi-reliable and it was from an older article, so take that number with a grain of salt.

They actually have that on the Wikipedia page for Naplex too.

Regarding rxprep test bank scores, I feel like I did reasonably well on the Naplex even though I would typically score 65-75 first try on the test bank questions. They are much much harder than the "typical" question you will encounter on the Naplex in my opinion. I will say I haven't gotten my score yet but I am hopeful everything worked out as I'm thinking.

I felt the same way. I usually scored between 65-80 on quizzes before brushing up on the information in the book. I received my NAPLEX score today and got 120- so stick with it! Make sure to do those calculation and biostats quizzes until you make 100% on every one!!!

I felt the same way. I usually scored between 65-80 on quizzes before brushing up on the information in the book. I received my NAPLEX score today and got 120- so stick with it! Make sure to do those calculation and biostats quizzes until you make 100% on every one!!!
Congratulations on your amazing score. Are you a fresh graduate?

Well this certainly makes me feel better!

Did you use only rx prep or the sdn 120 for calculations? How did you study for calculations everyday?

Did you use only rx prep or the sdn 120 for calculations? How did you study for calculations everyday?

I only used RxPrep. That was entirely sufficient for the questions I received regarding biostats and calculations. My downfall was compounding- the questions I received were not how I prepared myself from RxPrep but I am okay with that. I just took 1 quiz every day, and the next day I would re-do the questions I missed. Until I worked through all 5 calculation questions without mistake.

I only used RxPrep. That was entirely sufficient for the questions I received regarding biostats and calculations. My downfall was compounding- the questions I received were not how I prepared myself from RxPrep but I am okay with that. I just took 1 quiz every day, and the next day I would re-do the questions I missed. Until I worked through all 5 calculation questions without mistake.

How did you prepare for the compounding section? And what would you recommend we focus on for that section?

Same! I actually just changed my studying strategy and I feel like I'm doing better on the questions. But some chapters the questions are super hard.
how did u change your study habits? because I feel I am not retaining the chapter reviews in the RxPrep book and so the questions at the end of the chapters are a challenge for me

how did u change your study habits? because I feel I am not retaining the chapter reviews in the RxPrep book and so the questions at the end of the chapters are a challenge for me

in my case i just stopped doing rxprep qbanks questions aftert i failed the first time and just focused on the rxprep book and the note of that somebody posted here (thank you)!!
if you mastered the book i mean know your chapters well you are fine

i want to emphasize that some people learn better by doing questions over and over again other need to learn the notes. it is up to you to decide what works best for you