?s about COMLEX Step 2 in January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO for ophtho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the January exam is supposed to be tougher? Any words of wisdom on preparation for those who have taken it? I have a rotation in December to schedule, any idea of one that may be beneficial to have before boards.....another month of OB? a cake rotation that will give me time to study? cardio or neuro (both of which I have not had)?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I decided on the cake rotation to give me more time to hit the books...........never got any feedback from anyone for tips for preparing for COMLEX 2?? Is the January exam supposed to be more difficult? Any of you guys who took step 2 in august get your scores back yet?

no scores yet. i heard the jan one is similar to the sugust one as far as topics. i would recommmend ob/gyn or neuro to prepare.

Originally posted by sunny9505
no scores yet. i heard the jan one is similar to the sugust one as far as topics. i would recommmend ob/gyn or neuro to prepare.

Don't forget musculoskeletal/orthopedics either since we are in the osteopathic profession. By the way, how much longer do we have wait for the comlex 2 scores if you took it in August?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who took Comlex II in August, may I ask when you started studying? Also, what books would you recommend? If I have duplicated a post somewhere on this forum, I do apologize.

Thank you!

Bumping...

I also am wondering when you guys started to study for step 2 of the COMLEX. And also, are there any subjects that were really emphasized more than others?

there were tons of female/reproductive health topics on the August exam. You should know these topics thoroughly. Your OB/GYN rotation may only represent 1 month (as mine did) but you'll feel like this subject was significantly out of proportion to the rest of the exam. Not only that, but many non-OB/GYN questions contained a stem that might read the following: "A G2-P1 female presents with headache" or something along those lines. Know the relative safety of various drugs in pregnancy; I seem to recall several of those in August 03.

What about OMM on step 2.......I dunno about your hospital sites, but none of the docs at mine really did OMM, so I don't have much clinical experience to draw from. I was gonna read Dale Pratt Herrington's book and maybe Savorese (sp?) Is is true that its a lot more tx this time around?

I'm taking Step 2 in Jan as well. From what my classmates who took it in Aug. and passed told me, it was completely different from what friends who are interns now said the focus would be. I hear there was a ton of medical law and really odd omm ?s...has anyone heard anything else about the content? Thanks!
Ps..good luck for those who are studying!:D

scrupulous79 could not have summed up the sheer random nature and frustrations I have with COMLEX II this past year! I would second everything already stated.

Of note worth re-iterating:

1. The legal issues, though unfamiliar, are not new. Other students who took this test in the past said the same thing. There were at least 6-8 questions about what to do if you're the doctor in a rural emergency room whose hospital is out of free beds.

2. CONCUSSIONS/sports accidents were all over day #2.

3. A word about OMM -- use Savarese. Also, know PARASYMPATHETIC levels in addition to sympathetic. The latter get all the hype and press, but there were about 5-6 questions dealing with parasympathetic levels (e.g. which occipital bones, which sacral axis, which muscle that attaches to sacrum and would therefore be in somatic dysfunction, etc).

4. Step II tested not only Step II material, but also Step I and Step III. There were questions on this year's step II that were something like ... "someone has an infection here...the most likely bug is (blank)...the pathophysiologic mechanism is (blank)..." -- I was refreshed to see these questions -- they were possibly the most straightforward ones on the exam (this is sad), though a bit misplaced due to their content.

Unfortunately, the COMLEX is not designed for all medical students. I was more concerned with calculating the free water deficit in a hypernatremic patient, determining the FeNa+ in an oliguric patient, thinking about the metastatic patterns of certain neoplasms, cramming the approximate developmental milestones of growing children, and thinking of the differential diagnosis of a solitary lung nodule. Instead, this exam dealt more with anecdotal practical knowledge, largely that knowledge concerned with office-based primary care. Correct me if I am out of line, but the purpose of medical school, contrary to the practice reality of many osteopathic schools, is not to learn about medicine in the way of a seemingly old-world apprenticship format. We are to learn the facts, interpret them, apply them to cases we see on standarized exams, then go out as housestaff and use that intuition and knowledge to truly learn from our patients (emphasis being that this is where the TRUE learning takes place). This approach has been TIME-TESTED and is THE most efficient way of disseminating vast amounts of knowledge and understanding to the greatest number of individuals. One-on-one mentoring has its place, but not at this early of a stage in our medical careers. Although we catch pearls of wisdom and learn 'how-to-be-a-nice-guy-that-everybody-likes-as-a-model-practicioner', we also pick up on idiosyncracies, short-cuts, and bad habits based on anecdotal evidence. Okay, off my soap-box.

The students I spoke to who felt this was a straightforward test were those planning to go into office-based primary care. In fact, as scrupulous79 stated, there is *nothing* you can study from to hit up most of the obscure topics. One book that actually comes close to addressing some of these topics is SWANSON'S FAMILY PRACTICE REVIEW (ISBN: 032300914X). Compared with Prescriptions or First Aid, which focused more on the clinical disease states that comprise the body of USMLE step II material, Swanson's has a lot of useful, "mom-&-pop-kind-of-information" that one would need on day 1 out of a family practice residency and that is also more reflective of COMLEX content.

Looking ahead to Step III (not that far off if you take it early in your internship year), many interns from last year's class I spoke to praised Swanson's as a "one stop source" of info. for COMLEX III. For what it's worth--I already have a copy.

One bit of silver lining RE: COMLEX II--we as a class ('04) are not going ot have to travel and dump out over 1,000 extra bucks plus travel expenses, hotels, etc. for the OSCE/CSA/PE component of Step II.

Originally posted by Scarlet_Fire
One bit of silver lining RE: COMLEX II--we as a class ('04) are not going ot have to travel and dump out over 1,000 extra bucks plus travel expenses, hotels, etc. for the OSCE/CSA/PE component of Step II.

I'm so jealous of your class for that... +pissed+

The PE portion is just a scheme to make money. :mad:

COMLEX II is a joke. realistically, it is not going to be used toward your residency application (unless you are military), so all you need to do is pass it. that being said, it's probably an easy to pass, but hard to beat, exam.

the thing is, when they start pulling out shy-dragers syndrome (or however you spell it), and other trivial ****, most people are going to get those questions wrong, too. not to mention the differences in clinical experiences and protocols students get exposed to on rotations. no two people have the same experiences, yet they have to be tested on the same thing-- which forces them to standardize the test to a point that most people with basic clinical knowledge will pass. over half the questions were "well, duh" type stuff. yes, the other half is hit and miss, but if you cover your bases with a good step II review book, skim through some OB/Gyn, peds, FP, and especially ER, then go through a good questions book like NMS you'll be fine. OMM i thought was mostly very clinically relevant, about half parasympathetic/sympathetic innervations, a quarter diagnosis, and a quarter trivia. get savarese.

so, to review. step II review book, step II questions book, savarese, and whatever peds, OB, ER, and FP text you feel comfortable with.

study MAX 2 weeks. you're not going to be teaching yourself anything-- it's basically a review of most commons, with a few zebras and mongolian striped ass apes to keep you on your toes.

realistically? study a week or so, pass it, graduate, and move on with your life :)

As someone who took comlex 2 this past august ill add my 2 cents. i did very well on comlex 1 and studied many months for it.
Of course it was a very poorly written test, as echoed by my predesessors... I didnt study as hard for step 2 due to rotations, etc. I used the following books:
prescription for the boards
boards and wards
crush
NMS
q book
q bank
savarese.
of course talking to upperclassman helps. since it is such a a poorly written test, i focused on high yoeld stuff.. like ob-gyn. and there was alot of that **** on it. since i started releatively early, i did every question in the SWANSONs FP book. i think that book is awful. the questions are too easy and basic , but i think a good "flavor " of the type of comlex questions to expect for their "one-line vague cases." i think it was a really bad book and i threw it out after i finished it. i bought it used and its NOT worth the 80$ new. i dont see how it can be useful for step 3. i would get kaplan questions for step 3. they are very good.
since i started early, i also did harrisons IM board questions. i really dont recommend it. there are some good questions but some very hard ones. as an above poster mentioned, there was a case on shy-drager syndrome. i only got it right becasue of doing alot of questions. I dont understand the comlex test writers deal with putting rediculously easy questions then one like this. alot of my classmates gave me a funny look during a break when i asked them about this case. they put the answer parkinsons dz, which was letter A. my point READ all answers choices. i am always wary when an answer choice is A which in that case it was. alot of my classmates did worse on step 2 than one, myslef included. i was pretty shocked at my percentile.. who knows how the hell they calculate that??? and dont forget the ethics /legal stuff!!! there is a strong possibilit yit will be on there again.
well.. this was just my 2 cents...
i feel sorry for those having to shell out over 1000$ for the PE deal next yr

COMLEX is very family medicine oriented. So any topic can be tested. Blueprints series and First Aid for Step II are very high yield. If you like Q and A books than try NMS and Swanson's.

AUG VS JANUARY, WHY TAKE IT IN ONE VS THE OTHER MONTH, WHATS THE ADV/DISAD.... I AM A 3RD YEAR AT LOVELY WESTERNU, AND IM PRETTY SURE I DONT WANNA DO FP, BUT MAYBE CARDIO OR SURGERY... WHEN SHOULD I TAKE THE TEST. I ALREADY KNOW MY SUMMER OF 2004 IS GONNA BE BUSY WITH APPLICATIONS AND FAMILY STUFF, BUT I DONT WANNA MISS OUT IF I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT EARLIER..

HELP

If you are going to be applying for a competitive residency and your step 1 scores are strong, I would recommend taking step 2 in january, unless you are very confident you will do well in august. If you did well on step 1 and do not do as well on step 2 in august, program directors will be able to see those scores by the time you interview, whereas, if you wait til january you eliminate that risk. On the flip side, if you fail the test in January you are SOL and will not be able to graduate until you pass the exam the following August.

i got a 565, i dont even know if thats a good grade, i know im not a 99% person, imgonna take usmle in feb, and prob stilll take the step 2 is aug, ****...i dont know......this is all crazy