?s about DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new here, having only recently discovered that DO school even exist. I've done some research but I still have some questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Do DO schools consider regular straight out of college pre meds? The profile for DO schools seems to be the older more experienced applicant. Is it worth it for someone like me, 22 straight out of school, to apply or would I just be wasting my money?

2. There seem to be some DO students here unhappy with their rotation and residency choices. Is this a typical case of you can never make everybody happy, or is there really cause for concern when it comes to rotations and residency?

Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your first questions, DO schools do accept young applicants as well as older applicants. In my class, there are plenty of students that range from 21-25. In addition, DO schools do accept older and experienced applicants. The oldest applicant in my class is 48, and there are many of them in DO schools across the nation.

To answer your second question, there are student rotations and residencies that a person might not be happy with. The best advice that I can give you is research the rotations and residencies that you might be interested in. Talk to medical students and residents at those sites. That's all I can say about that. Good luck!

A substaintial number of NYCOM students were accepted right out of college. However, the nationwide (allopathic/osteopathic) acceptance trend has been toward older, more experienced or educated applicants, as compared to 10 to 20 years ago. I believe 3 years ago the average age of a freshman in medical school was around 25. Several of my classmates had or were working on Master's degrees upon acceptance. I suggest that if you do not get accepted in the fall of your graduation year, try to find employment in the medical field or pursue further education toward a medically related degree. If first you don't succeed, try, try again. It worked for me. Good luck.

Don't worry about your age. My school has the same make-up as the previous author, lots of young people. But the average age really goes up when you have a few 30 and 40 yr olds in the bunch.
I also agree that some rotations are good and some bad. Try a school that has lots of options so you can find the good ones

------------------
Jim