sadness before the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all...

I have my first medical school interview this Thursday, after so much work and preparation, and tonight I had to rush my pet rat to the emergency vet, and decided to have him put to sleep. I know he's only a rat, but I'm so sad and I was supposed to be relaxing and resting and reading up on my school. Any other per-interview dramas out there that might help me put this into perspective?

-R.I.P. Maurice the Himalayan Rat. There's a new little soul in heaven.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any interview invites yet but I have cat who's 19 years old (i've had him since I was 2). He has been losing weight and everytime I leave home now I wonder if i'll ever see him again. Recently I have had disturbing thoughts in which he dies the day before an interview, and I start crying in my interview... I don't know what to say except that I know how you feel.

How about this. I know it doesn't compare to losing a pet, but maybe it'll provide some comic relief?

So my mom decides to help me prep for my interview on Thursday by ironing my suit (which is 50% polyester). For those that don't iron often, polyester is basically plastic. Result? My suit is completely melted. I must now find a new suit in the next 2 days, in addition to my stress about having 2 papers and 3 midterms on Wednesday.

Oh- and then my friends that are mad because I flaked out last minute on going to a Halloween party the night before.

Okay, this all sounds dumb compared to you losing your pet rat. Sorry. When my hamster died, I remember trying to do cpr on him through a coffee stirrer. I was unsuccessful. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
i hope maurice has a joyful afterlife....and obtains a happiness even greater then when he was under your care brick.

rats, snakes, alligators, wallobies.....

we all love our pets.

true.

as a pet owner who has had to bury 3 hamsters (all died from very old age by the way) I feel your pain.

You might want to mention your rat's passing during your interview though, if appropriate. Not many people would take their rodent to the pet ER, so it may say something about the kind of person you are.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by charik
Recently I have had disturbing thoughts in which he dies the day before an interview, and I start crying in my interview...

if this happened, i guess it would be embarrassing, but i don't think anyone would fault you for being emotional about your pet dying. and i definitely agree with what violinrose said about taking a rat to the pet ER saying a lot about the kind of person you are.

the interviewers are people too. i bet a lot of them have or used to have pets. this is sad stuff. i'm sitting here fighting back tears just thinking about my dog dying. but lucky for me, she is young still.

brickhouse, my heart goes out to you buddy. i'm sorry you have to deal with this right now. if during your interview you feel like your sadness is affecting you, i hope you are brave enough to tell the interviewer why. i doubt anyone would fault you for it. on the other hand, i bet you will be fine in the interview. they are very nerve-racking and my mind at least has not wandered at all during interviews. good luck.

Hey guys,

I definetly know how you all feel! I myself have buried 3 hamsters (also all from old age), and each time I was absolutely devastated. It was so bad that although I'm considering getting a cat next year, I worry about how i'll take it when he/she eventually dies....

Makes you think about how we'll deal with a patient's death the day before boards, huh? :)

Good luck everyone!
- Quid

I know what it is like to lose a pet too. I had a 15 year old Siamese cat die my sophomore year of college. He had been with me since I was 4 years old. I was heartbroken and still wait for him to meow and come running to me when I open the door at (my parents) home :(
My heart goes out to you, Brickhouse.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your rat! Last week, we did the same thing to my poor little hamster, and sadly we put her to sleep.

My dear sweet 16 year old cat, that I had since I was eight years old, went into kidney failure in August. It was right around the time I was doing all my stuff for the secondary application for the Early Decision school I was applying to. I went in to talk to a prof about my letters of recommendation... and I started crying, knowing that I was going to have to put little Smudge to sleep that afternoon. I felt so embarrassed crying there in his office.

It always makes me sad when people just don't understand that humans can grieve deeply for pets. I HATE it when people say, "Oh it was just a cat (or hamster), why are you so upset?" How terrible to go through life without bonding to a furry little creature (or scaled creature or whatever) that can bring so much joy.

In memory of Smudge 5/6/87 - 8/13/03

OldMD

Hi all....

I am deeply moved by your stories. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me. I am still sad but doing better, and I can't wait to leave my office to see my two little survivors back at home.

I feel like we pet-lovers are in our own little subculture, and we understand eachother a little better because of it.

I kept thinking "how am I going to deal with humans if I become so emotional over a rat?" But like everyone keeps saying, that's probably what will make me a better doctor.

Thanks so much,
Karen :love:

Today was my first interview and I found out all three of my cats have kitty "AIDS" called FIV... :( SO SAD... Luckily I didnt find out until after my interview