safe OTC nausea/vomiting meds in pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiffywerk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some safe over the counter anti nausea/emetic medication that can be used in pregnancy?

Members don't see this ad.

OTC b6, ginger, and 1/2 a unisom. Quick google search may show many more.

OTC b6, ginger, and 1/2 a unisom. Quick google search may show many more.

Anyone think that B6 stuff works? Saw a pt in the ED that was vomiting all over the place but was convinced all prescription meds would turn her baby into a dog. Did a quick google and came up with B6. I told her about it but the evidence seemed to be a little lacking. Any anecdotes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think that B6 stuff works? Saw a pt in the ED that was vomiting all over the place but was convinced all prescription meds would turn her baby into a dog. Did a quick google and came up with B6. I told her about it but the evidence seemed to be a little lacking. Any anecdotes?

Studies have indicated that it does reduce nausea in early pregnancy. Main problem is that it is supposed to be taken TID or QID and patient compliance can be an issue.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/2047064/reload=0;jsessionid=X9MNxnCdssIu6p4e7Fbf.0

It used to be released with doxylamine back in the 70's and early 80s as a combination called Bendectin or something similar but was pulled due to irrational fears of it causing birth defects, which is found to be false.

I'll usually tell patients to take it and if not effective add doxylamine, which they can get OTC as Unisom. If that doesn't work then I add stronger meds that require a Rx.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!