Safe to say my interviewing skills suck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joojoobee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's been a bad week for me to say the least. I got one pre-interview rejection and 3 post-interview waitlists/rejections within the past 7 days. I know i'm not the best interviewer, but I thought I did overall OK. One interviewer said I actually came off very well and I was 'articulate' (the decision for this school has yet to come). However, after receiving 3 waitlists/rejections and 0 acceptances, I'm beginning to think that I stink at these things. Luckily I still have yet to go to half of my interviews and I was hoping on getting some opinions or advice on this. From experience, does this string of bad news mean that I really need to brush up on my interviewing skills or is it a high chance that it's just a result of variance? Gahhh.. this is so frustrating

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe. Different schools weigh interviews differently, so you may be OK. On the other hand, you may not, so you need to do a mock interview. It may also be that your interview skills may be OK but they may not like your answer to 'Why Medicine or Why this place' or some other question. It's important to rehearse with someone about your general tone, demeanor, etc. Make sure everything else is appropriate too (e.g, dress).

I wouldn't take it too hard (yet). I had two interviews so far and both told me I performed exceptionally and would be a for sure acceptance and they were both waitlists. So it's not all on the interview at every school, thats for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. Schools weigh interviews differently, but I think almost no schools exclusively consider the interview (unless there is a major mistake). Also, what are your stats/ECs/LORs like? If they are amazing and you got three waitlists/rejections, then there may be something wrong with your interviewing skills. But if your stats/ECs/etc. are avg or below avg, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do the best you can on remaining interviews.

my stats are about average (slightly above for one, slightly below for one) for each of the schools and my ec's are in my opinion, above average. perhaps i can work on my answers to 'why this school?' and have more detailed and clear explanations for my ec's. hopefully, i land an acceptance to one of the schools i interview soon! dang, it really seems like everyone has an acceptance but me

my stats are about average (slightly above for one, slightly below for one) for each of the schools and my ec's are in my opinion, above average. perhaps i can work on my answers to 'why this school?' and have more detailed and clear explanations for my ec's. hopefully, i land an acceptance to one of the schools i interview soon! dang, it really seems like everyone has an acceptance but me

I know what you mean about it feeling like everyone else has gotten in. Some schools just waitlist most of the people they interview, so you shouldn't take it too hard. That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

Some schools just waitlist most of the people they interview, so you shouldn't take it too hard. That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

I'm trying to tell myself that too. I'm also trying to think of it not as a waitlist, but just that they'll let me know later if I get accepted or not. Like instead of finding out now, I'll find out in January or something (when they start pulling from the waitlist at this one school) the "real" decision on my application.

It's really important to nail your interviews. The fact that you have self-doubt can be a problem.

Whether you're terrific or terrible, build your confidence (and improve your technique) by taking quick remedial action. Find a guidebook on how to be successful in an interview. Formulate an approach, then practice it. Do mock interviews with friends, professors or at your school's career/counseling center. Like anything else, presenting yourself well is a skill that can be learned.

Be one of the people at your next interview day who winds up getting an acceptance. Good luck.

I wouldn't take it too hard (yet). I had two interviews so far and both told me I performed exceptionally and would be a for sure acceptance and they were both waitlists. So it's not all on the interview at every school, thats for sure

same here...wtf?! this is such bs!