"Safety" Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjglove23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just finishing my school list for this cycle and checking MSAR. I've noticed that for several of my "safety" schools, my MCAT and GPA are both above the 90th percentile. How likely would it be that these schools would screen me out due to yield protection? Should you be inside your safety schools 90th percentile to protect yourself from this?

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to say. I highly doubt schools will screen you for being above the 90th percentile. I do see people on SDN rejected from safety schools where they are past the 90th percentile, but then accepted to reaches where there stats are on the lower end of the table. Usually if a school's MCAT/GPA is lower than the norm, then they have a certain mission(s) (such as being from the area, being an URM, socioeconomic status, etc) that they follow. If you fit well with the school and your MCAT/GPA is high, I don't see how they wouldn't give you an interview.

Good luck!

The "safest" schools are probably going to be your state schools (unless you're in Cali).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure to apply to a wide range of schools. If you do this you shouldn't have a problem (I assume your stats are strong to be above the 90th %ile anywhere).

Nice humblebrag.

Seriously though, with sky-high numbers you will want to focus on the top tier schools that are a good match for your ECs and numbers. You'll also want to apply to a good mix of lower-tier schools that appeal to you and whose missions you fit. You might want to avoid applying to Drexel, for instance, but go ahead and apply to Tulane if you have ties to the area or are interested in rural medicine.

The 'safest' schools are rarely the ones you're highest above 'stat-wise,' they're generally the ones you're competitive (or a bit more) and close to in some respect (residency, school, family, etc). No US MD school is really a 'safety,' some are just 'safer' than others. And if you're a fit for the school, I highly doubt anyone would ever reject an applicant solely because they are in their 90th percentile. 90th percentile means 10% of their class was accepted with stats higher than that, so they certainly do interview some of those applicants.

Edit: words

Last edited:
Its hard to say. I highly doubt schools will screen you for being above the 90th percentile. I do see people on SDN rejected from safety schools where they are past the 90th percentile, but then accepted to reaches where there stats are on the lower end of the table. Usually if a school's MCAT/GPA is lower than the norm, then they have a certain mission(s) (such as being from the area, being an URM, socioeconomic status, etc) that they follow. If you fit well with the school and your MCAT/GPA is high, I don't see how they wouldn't give you an interview.

Good luck!
Most schools receive enough applications from people who score well above their median stats to fill every interview slot. If their matriculate yield in OP's range is very low, they will only have enough resources to interview a few of them. The ones chosen would likely have some compelling reason that leads the screener to believe they might come, even when they are admitted elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't waste your money on some of the "lesser" schools just to apply broadly. Apply IS, for sure. But use the MSAR to guage which schools are likely to accept you, given your stats. If you're in the top - whatever, be sure you have the factors thay'd want to see, like research. It really comes down to selecting the schools that interest you, but that takes some time to investigate the subtle differences. Look at: curriculum, location (nearby for support, area of country, urban/rural/suburban preferences), focus (what lots of students study for residency), research $$ and areas of research, public/private (I'm of the belief that where you went to UG influences where you'll go to ms). Don't apply to schools you wouldn't attend if accepted.

I'm just finishing my school list for this cycle and checking MSAR. I've noticed that for several of my "safety" schools, my MCAT and GPA are both above the 90th percentile. How likely would it be that these schools would screen me out due to yield protection? Should you be inside your safety schools 90th percentile to protect yourself from this?

In my opinion, if your MCAT and GPA are both above a school's 90% and there is no other compelling reason why you'd go there (in state tuition, family in the area, religious orientation, mission fit) then yes, I'm thinking those schools are likely to screen you out to avoid wasting their resources --

Which means they're not really safeties for you, right? For safeties, I'd target where your numbers are right-at to just-below the 90% range. You're safer for them too --

... but go ahead and apply to Tulane if you have ties to the area or are interested in rural medicine.

I didn't know Tulane had rural medicine programs. Sort of strange for a school in New Orleans, isn't it?

Just checked it out, and your comment is legit. Sorry - I guess this is a bit off topic.