Safety Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalabear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that safety schools probably vary for each person, but just wondering if people wanted to start a list of potential ones. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

koalabear said:
I know that safety schools probably vary for each person, but just wondering if people wanted to start a list of potential ones. Thanks.

Just a ranking from U.S. News: (and i agree based on the stats)

Easiest schools to get into:
1. Howard University Avg GPA: 3.36 Avg Total MCAT: 23.7 (sevens in each at least)
2. Mercer University Avg GPA: 3.58 Avg Total MCAT: 25.2 (seven in each at least)
It's not listed on US News.. but i believe Meharry University is an easy school (relatively)..

If even those schools aren't safety..
Apply to the Osteopathic schools.. (you can always just take the USMLE and get an MD residency as a DO..)

The easiest osteopathic school:
Pikeville ... Avg GPA: 3.25 Avg Total MCAT: 22.5 (min~ sixes in each)
Hardest osteopatic school..
Texas Coll. of Oste... Avg GPA: 3.58 Avg Total MCAT: 26.7

xSTALLiONx said:

Kentucky R-E-P-R-E-S-E-N-T!

:laugh:

Safety schools are all very relative. For someone who has a decent chance at getting into an MD school, DO schools and/or schools in the Caribbean may be considered safety schools. For someone with a 40 MCAT and 3.9 GPA, most state schools would be considered safety schools.

Therefore, I don't think that one could really compile a list of safety schools that apply to a large group of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
xSTALLiONx said:
Just a ranking from U.S. News: (and i agree based on the stats)

Easiest schools to get into:
1. Howard University Avg GPA: 3.36 Avg Total MCAT: 23.7 (sevens in each at least)
2. Mercer University Avg GPA: 3.58 Avg Total MCAT: 25.2 (seven in each at least)
It's not listed on US News.. but i believe Meharry University is an easy school (relatively)..

If even those schools aren't safety..
Apply to the Osteopathic schools.. (you can always just take the USMLE and get an MD residency as a DO..)

The easiest osteopathic school:
Hardest osteopatic school..
Texas Coll. of Oste... Avg GPA: 3.58 Avg Total MCAT: 26.7
I disagree with you completely. You are oversimplifying things here. Your approach to the safety school idea is very flawed. You can have 35 on the MCAT and 3.9 GPA, but if you are not GA resident your chances of getting in Mercer are zero. Howard is mostly black school, so if you are not black, your chances of getting into Howard are slim, too. If you are a decent candidate and you apply to very selective schools, you should consider your state schools safety schools. Applicants who are from let's say Ohio or Texas can apply to Duke or Johns Hopkins or Harvard, but their greatest odds of being accepted are right there in their state to their state schools. Picking up schools only by gpa and mcat scores is not going to get you very far in the application process.

...very true, but I doubt someone with the above mentioned 40 MCAT would be asking the OP's question, or even represent the vast majority of us...

Safe to say that anyone asking about safety schools is asking for schools with low stats. IMO anyway.

Denn said:
I disagree with you completely. You are oversimplifying things here. Your approach to the safety school idea is very flawed. You can have 35 on the MCAT and 3.9 GPA, but if you are not GA resident your chances of getting in Mercer are zero. Howard is mostly black school, so if you are not black, your chances of getting into Howard are slim, too. If you are a decent candidate and you apply to very selective schools, you should consider your state schools safety schools. Applicants who are from let's say Ohio or Texas can apply to Duke or Johns Hopkins or Harvard, but their greatest odds of being accepted are right there in their state to their state schools. Picking up schools only by gpa and mcat scores is not going to get you very far in the application process.

I agree...GPA and MCAT are important but location and state residency are just as or more. Just my two cents............

davesnow10 said:
...very true, but I doubt someone with the above mentioned 40 MCAT would be asking the OP's question, or even represent the vast majority of us...

Safe to say that anyone asking about safety schools is asking for schools with low stats. IMO anyway.

I was just exaggerating to make a point :p

shiraz84 said:
I was just exaggerating to make a point :p

lol. 40=high, so your exaggeration was understood :)

p.s. I see you are in Lexington. You staying there for med school? if so, i'll see you in about 7 weeks...if not, all the best.

davesnow10 said:

exactly what i was going for.. i was stating they are the lowest stat schools..