Safeway new computer system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doministic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just rolled out a new system at our store... It seems really slow and one of our computers couldn't handle the load so it shutdown along with the scanner that was attatched to it. Anyody else had similar experiences with the new system? Does workflow get any better with time?
Today we only checked off 150 scripts but it felt like I checked off 300

Members don't see this ad.

We're still using PDX in California. Does using enterprise change the workflow at all? Do I still have to count my own prescriptions?

As a someone who's been using PDX with Safeway, I too am curious about this. From what I've heard, most pharmacists who've worked in Enterprise stores are unhappy with it because:
(1) You can only have one screen up at at time per computer, and given that management keeps cutting tech hours, more unhappy customers keep trickling off because of the doubled wait time.
(2) You deactivate and type up new scripts frequently because once you've cleared specific stages of the script-typing process, you can't go back and edit/change what you just inputted (heard that re-typing a C-II script's control # was a common headache).
(3) There's just not enough manpower to make Enterprise efficient (the way most Safeway stores are operating these days).

I'm thinking it might just be better to stick with PDX for lower volume stores that have less tech help? The horror stories with Enterprise make me very wary considering how technologically challenged the pharmacists I work with are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like Enterprise system..Iam in California and we had the system for about a month now..it is slow and freeze a lot..takes forever for each script to be done..PDX is so much easier but what can we do! The only thing about Cll scripts that u have to deactivate and retype is the ones on hold from PDX..cause they show as expired and u can't change the expiration. The scanning of rx is poor..I can;t see most rx even and i always have to go back and see the hardcopy..the problem is no rx # to find the filled rx so it takes me a while to go find that hard copy !!! but i would say the first week was terrible then we kinda got used to it.:)

I don't like EPS, but I didn't like PDX either. I think EPS is the lesser of the two evils here.

At the store I work at we do about 700 scripts, and we have one tech from M-F with no help on weekends. Gosh, this is really going to kill our workflow and not to mention morale. I like PDX, because it's easy to use but it is a pain the ass to dig up hardcopies. Crap, dumping the queue in the morning is going to be another pain, I figure.

At the store I work at we do about 700 scripts, and we have one tech from M-F with no help on weekends. Gosh, this is really going to kill our workflow and not to mention morale. I like PDX, because it's easy to use but it is a pain the ass to dig up hardcopies. Crap, dumping the queue in the morning is going to be another pain, I figure.

Is that per week?

Working for Safeway is enough to kill anyone's morale. The roll out in Texas is on hold because implementaion is not going well. You get some additional hours for 2 weeks and then its back to the old labor model.

Safeway is a joke. Its days our numbered.

(3) There's just not enough manpower to make Enterprise efficient (the way most Safeway stores are operating these days).

I'm thinking it might just be better to stick with PDX for lower volume stores that have less tech help? The horror stories with Enterprise make me very wary considering how technologically challenged the pharmacists I work with are.

This is spot on what is going on in Texas. Safeway doesn't staff their pharmacies well enough to make anything efficient.

Safeway...The CVS of the grocery store world.

Yes, that is 700 rx/wk but out here we count and verify our own scripts. Remember we have to do flu shots, zostavax, and pertussis shots as well. The techs take care of the out window and type new prescriptions. Doing 150 rx/day on a 12 hour day doesn't sound like a lot but it is pretty tiring. Yes, they are cutting hours for our techs and a rollout of Enterprise will make things difficult at best.

Publix chiming in here. Has taken (this is a guess) about 3 yrs to roll out
enterprise to 1000 stores. It is horrible. Really slow. Really labor intensive.
All scanned rxs start out as this small blurry square on screen. Kills your eyes. Really slow.
Labels ghetto. Nothing good to say. Did I mention really slow ?
m

Part of the reason I left Meijer (regional chain of Wal-Mart like stores in the midwest) was due to the computer system they rolled out the month before I graduated with my PharmD, in May 2010. I interned with them for 3 years and PDX was ok, but the new system was freakin horrible... enterprise rings a bell but I'm not sure of the exact name of it.

Made my decision to not sign with them very easy and I'm super happy with my decision to move out of my college town to work somewhere with a better climate with CVS. I <3 RxConnect, everything is intuitive and easy.

Part of the reason I left Meijer (regional chain of Wal-Mart like stores in the midwest) was due to the computer system they rolled out the month before I graduated with my PharmD, in May 2010. I interned with them for 3 years and PDX was ok, but the new system was freakin horrible... enterprise rings a bell but I'm not sure of the exact name of it.

Made my decision to not sign with them very easy and I'm super happy with my decision to move out of my college town to work somewhere with a better climate with CVS. I <3 RxConnect, everything is intuitive and easy.

OK so this is probably bad on my part, but I cannot tell if this statement is in jest or not.

Just want to chime in on my last day in Sav-On Hell... Enterprise is absolutely awful, and it's why I'm taking a 15% pay decrease to go back to my old job. The computer system is terrible. We can't get anything done in a timely manner, so we spend every single day getting yelled at by (understandably) upset patients.

In other news, Safeway still exists, Mountain. ;)

Just want to chime in on my last day in Sav-On Hell... Enterprise is absolutely awful, and it's why I'm taking a 15% pay decrease to go back to my old job. The computer system is terrible. We can't get anything done in a timely manner, so we spend every single day getting yelled at by (understandably) upset patients.

EPS was a cakewalk compared to PDX, you nerd. :D

Ah but they got bought out! My prediction in another thread was out of business or they would get bought out in 5 years.

Ah but they got bought out! My prediction in another thread was out of business or they would get bought out in 5 years.
The whole team seems to be feeling the effects. Witnessed store management scurrying in fear when they were alerted the president for the district was within 100 miles.

Sav-On previously used ARx, and apparently loved it. They really screwed the pooch by switching to EPS. If any new grads are desperate, there are 12 management positions open in Oregon right now, with sign-on bonuses to boot. I'm sure that's a coincidence. :smuggrin:

The whole team seems to be feeling the effects. Witnessed store management scurrying in fear when they were alerted the president for the district was within 100 miles.

Sav-On previously used ARx, and apparently loved it. They really screwed the pooch by switching to EPS. If any new grads are desperate, there are 12 management positions open in Oregon right now, with sign-on bonuses to boot. I'm sure that's a coincidence. :smuggrin:

hows mpje/license transfer for OR? easy?