Saint James School of Medicine ... CAREFUL!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MartialArtist93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This school is a SCAM! They say you can complete Basic Sciences curriculum in 16 months, but then after you HAVE to go to Chicago for 4 months for USMLE Step 1 review (which is a joke / waste of time from what current MD5 students have told me) and then study for USMLE Step 1 for 4 months after, so it's basically the same amount of time at a traditional, accredited Medical School.

The Administration promises that St James SOM will receive Federal Loans / NY / CA approval within next 5 years (HIGHLY unlikely), yet they only have received Initial CAAM-HP Accreditation. School has NO accreditation from 10+ US States!

MOST of the professors are either M.D. or Ph.D and the M.D. have lost their licenses in US / Canada. The Dean of the School is a former drug addict who lost his NY medical license due to his drug addiction. The quality of medical instruction is TERRIBLE, in my opinion. The professors intentionally try to fail you and couldn't care less if you pass / fail. Professors are NOT friendly and NOT helpful.

Clinical Rotations ... What clinical rotations? St. James SOM has only 1 hospital (Jackson Park Hospital) in Chicago for students to complete CORE rotations. Jackson Park Hospital is one of the WORST hospitals in the US. It is located in one of the WORST neighborhoods (SouthSide) in Chicago. Administration does NOT want to pay for more clinical sites.

The Dutch government reviewed the curriculum of St. James SOM (Bonaire) campus and they have decided that the level of medical education is NOT up-to-par with the traditional Dutch / US medical standards. Dutch government is kicking off St. James SOM (Bonaire) from the island and the campus is looking into moving to Jamaica.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Why on earth would anyone risk their time, money, blood, sweat, and treasure embarking on an unnecessarily risky and treacherous path?

I'm starting to think that if one is not smart enough to figure these things out ahead of time, one deserves whatever one gets. Sorry.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into this school several years ago and decided not to go because I just didn't feel good about it. I also realized that they won't let you practice in Cali.

I agree 100% with MartialArtist93. I was stupid enough to fall for their false promises and attend this school for 3 months. The quality of education sucks. The worst part is instructors copying stuff from wikipedia and distributing it to class!!!! Wikipedia...I am not making this up. Most of them can't even speak good English. Do not fall for what the admission people tell you and if you are really planning on attending, do not take part in any of the webinars they offer. I was told to purchase all my textbooks- hard copies before moving to the island. Imagine how much extra I had to pay for all that additional weight. Only to realize that there was a flash drive with all the e-books which would be made available once you reached there. I had a hard time adjusting to life there- the weather, the unavailability of good food (Not much fresh food available and everything is super expensive. For example, half a gallon of Haagen dazs ice cream was about $35 USD). Some people rented cars but I felt it was not a practical choice (gas price in Anguilla was about $6.50/gallon). To make things worse, the island was hit by a category 2 hurricane. There was no power, water, or food for a week. After experiencing all this, I decided it was better to leave. I am not the only one who left. I know many of my friends who have left. There are some others stuck there and trying their best to leave- they have passed some classes and failed some others- can't leave as no other school will accept the credits they earned at SJSM. To be very honest, choosing to attend SJSM was the stupidest decision I have ever made and I really regret it. :bang:

Reactions: 1 user
Lucky you. You weren't stupid like me.
I agree 100% with MartialArtist93. I was stupid enough to fall for their false promises and attend this school for 3 months. The quality of education sucks. The worst part is instructors copying stuff from wikipedia and distributing it to class!!!! Wikipedia...I am not making this up. Most of them can't even speak good English. Do not fall for what the admission people tell you and if you are really planning on attending, do not take part in any of the webinars they offer. I was told to purchase all my textbooks- hard copies before moving to the island. Imagine how much extra I had to pay for all that additional weight. Only to realize that there was a flash drive with all the e-books which would be made available once you reached there. I had a hard time adjusting to life there- the weather, the unavailability of good food (Not much fresh food available and everything is super expensive. For example, half a gallon of Haagen dazs ice cream was about $35 USD). Some people rented cars but I felt it was not a practical choice (gas price in Anguilla was about $6.50/gallon). To make things worse, the island was hit by a category 2 hurricane. There was no power, water, or food for a week. After experiencing all this, I decided it was better to leave. I am not the only one who left. I know many of my friends who have left. There are some others stuck there and trying their best to leave- they have passed some classes and failed some others- can't leave as no other school will accept the credits they earned at SJSM. To be very honest, choosing to attend SJSM was the stupidest decision I have ever made and I really regret it. :bang:

sounds like the typical caribbean medical (other than the top 5). what did you end up doing if you don't mind me asking? assuming you left.

sounds like the typical caribbean medical (other than the top 5). what did you end up doing if you don't mind me asking? assuming you left.

I'm doing my master's in public health. Graduating next month.

I transferred to an ACCREDITED Caribbean school

All medical schools that make it into FAIMER/IMED are "accredited" usually by the medical board in their own country. That is far different than being recognized by individual states in the U.S. for permanent, unrestricted licensure... if you want to practice in the U.S., that is.

Caveat emptor.

-Skip

Also, isn't transferring med schools (whether to a low or high tier school) seen as a red flag when applying for residency ?

It is looked down upon, but it can be to your benefit if the Residency Programs see that you transferred to a better school (better reputation, better residency placements, better accreditation, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
It is looked down upon, but it can be to your benefit if the Residency Programs see that you transferred to a better school (better reputation, better residency placements, better accreditation, etc.)

Transferring from one Caribbean school to another isn't going to help you any...

It was different for me because I started 1st semester at St. James and am now re-doing First semester at another Caribbean school with better accreditation and reputation

It was different for me because I started 1st semester at St. James and am now re-doing First semester at another Caribbean school with better accreditation and reputation

I gotta be honest. When I see you post something like this after I already attempted to explain to you what this means, it makes me a little worried for your future patients. Sorry. Not trying to be a dick. But...

-Skip

Skip Intro: What you don't understand is that I did NOT transfer credits! There is no way Residency directors can see I switched schools, as I started over.

Skip Intro: What you don't understand is that I did NOT transfer credits! There is no way Residency directors can see I switched schools, as I started over.

That information will be asked about on ERAS. Should you lie and the PD finds out, that could be grounds for termination of your residency...

I personally know of a now practicing meds anesthesiologist who started at one mid tier Caribbean school in fall 2006. Did one semester than did not return and 'restarted' at the top Caribbean school from the beginning 1st semester. Never was that 1 semester brought up in his interviews or residencies/fellowships. Just FYI, it is possible but postings on SDN might open a internet trail to the OP. Best to just do it if you can. But there can be consequences.

@ThoracicGuy: I left before the semester ended because the school is SO ****ty. They won't find out and if I ask, I will honestly tell them the truth that the other school was SO ****ty and I transferred to a better, MORE accredited school.

@ThoracicGuy: I left before the semester ended because the school is SO ****ty. They won't find out and if I ask, I will honestly tell them the truth that the other school was SO ****ty and I transferred to a better, MORE accredited school.

And you'll likely have to provide a transcript from the school since you did matriculate there. Hopefully you upgraded to one of the top 4 schools...

I just applied to Saint James Medical School. Does it matter whether I start in January, May, or September. What is the school like? Is it 2 years in the Caribbean and then 2 years in the US?

I just applied to Saint James Medical School. Does it matter whether I start in January, May, or September. What is the school like? Is it 2 years in the Caribbean and then 2 years in the US?

Why would you apply there without knowing these things ahead of time? Did you even read the thread you just replied to?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but you should try to get your application money back. Do not go to this school.

I went to a top 4 Carib school; a girl one semester ahead of me (who had also been failing classes) was kicked out for stealing iPhones last year.
...This year, she just started her M1 year at a DO school in Texas. So, I don't think OP has to worry about his transcript getting back to his school, because US medical schools don't even find out...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I went to a top 4 Carib school; a girl one semester ahead of me (who had also been failing classes) was kicked out for stealing iPhones last year.
...This year, she just started her M1 year at a DO school in Texas. So, I don't think OP has to worry about his transcript getting back to his school, because US medical schools don't even find out...

If one takes out federal loans, then it will be able to be known. Don't think about lying to the schools if you leave the Caribbean to apply to a US school. Most all of them ask if you have previously been accepted or matriculated at a medical school anywhere in the world. If you lie and they find out, you could be kicked out of school, or if you have graduated, have your degree rescinded.

If one takes out federal loans, then it will be able to be known. Don't think about lying to the schools if you leave the Caribbean to apply to a US school. Most all of them ask if you have previously been accepted or matriculated at a medical school anywhere in the world. If you lie and they find out, you could be kicked out of school, or if you have graduated, have your degree rescinded.

So do you think they're cool with the fact that she got asked to leave a Carib school?

I personally know of a now practicing meds anesthesiologist who started at one mid tier Caribbean school in fall 2006. Did one semester than did not return and 'restarted' at the top Caribbean school from the beginning 1st semester. Never was that 1 semester brought up in his interviews or residencies/fellowships. Just FYI, it is possible but postings on SDN might open a internet trail to the OP. Best to just do it if you can. But there can be consequences.
Are you Russian? Your username is funny if so:)

knock knock! saw their advertize accepting students without MCAT! Immidiately, came here and found this thread :oops:!! Another scam :wow:

they are about to lose their CAAMHP accredidation. you would be a fool to go to this school.

This school is a SCAM! They say you can complete Basic Sciences curriculum in 16 months, but then after you HAVE to go to Chicago for 4 months for USMLE Step 1 review (which is a joke / waste of time from what current MD5 students have told me) and then study for USMLE Step 1 for 4 months after, so it's basically the same amount of time at a traditional, accredited Medical School.

The Administration promises that St James SOM will receive Federal Loans / NY / CA approval within next 5 years (HIGHLY unlikely), yet they only have received Initial CAAM-HP Accreditation. School has NO accreditation from 10+ US States!

MOST of the professors are either M.D. or Ph.D and the M.D. have lost their licenses in US / Canada. The Dean of the School is a former drug addict who lost his NY medical license due to his drug addiction. The quality of medical instruction is TERRIBLE, in my opinion. The professors intentionally try to fail you and couldn't care less if you pass / fail. Professors are NOT friendly and NOT helpful.

Clinical Rotations ... What clinical rotations? St. James SOM has only 1 hospital (Jackson Park Hospital) in Chicago for students to complete CORE rotations. Jackson Park Hospital is one of the WORST hospitals in the US. It is located in one of the WORST neighborhoods (SouthSide) in Chicago. Administration does NOT want to pay for more clinical sites.

The Dutch government reviewed the curriculum of St. James SOM (Bonaire) campus and they have decided that the level of medical education is NOT up-to-par with the traditional Dutch / US medical standards. Dutch government is kicking off St. James SOM (Bonaire) from the island and the campus is looking into moving to Jamaica.

You are absolutely right!!!!

Saint James School of Medicine is a SCAM & FRAUD! No one becomes a doctor once they graduate!!!

I got accepted into this school several years ago and decided not to go because I just didn't feel good about it. I also realized that they won't let you practice in Cali.
I got accepted as well and deciding I am not going. Since you didn’t go, looking back at your decision..fo you feel you made a goid one?
Thank you.

I got my MD from St. James School of Medicine. It is not a scam. I will tell you, however; that not a lot of students make it through the program. I didn't realize this until I got there. Out of our class of 100, only about 40 graduated from Anguilla. Of those 40, I would guess maybe 15 matched into residency. You REALLY have to want it. The classes aren't that great. Living on an island is challenging. Passing the step 1 is difficult. If you really want to be a doctor and are prepared to do whatever it takes, you'll make it. I imagine it's difficult to find people who actually graduated and matched- the number is so few. If I could go back, I would have done better in undergrad, prepped properly for the MCAT and tried for a US med school. Going the Caribbean route gave me the opportunity to study medicine and earn my MD but at the expense of chronic stress, unhappiness and a lot of adversity. I hope this helps anyone who is considering the school. ✌

I got my MD from St. James School of Medicine. It is not a scam. I will tell you, however; that not a lot of students make it through the program. I didn't realize this until I got there. Out of our class of 100, only about 40 graduated from Anguilla. Of those 40, I would guess maybe 15 matched into residency. You REALLY have to want it. The classes aren't that great. Living on an island is challenging. Passing the step 1 is difficult. If you really want to be a doctor and are prepared to do whatever it takes, you'll make it. I imagine it's difficult to find people who actually graduated and matched- the number is so few. If I could go back, I would have done better in undergrad, prepped properly for the MCAT and tried for a US med school. Going the Caribbean route gave me the opportunity to study medicine and earn my MD but at the expense of chronic stress, unhappiness and a lot of adversity. I hope this helps anyone who is considering the school. ✌
Where was your undergraduate done? No one on this thread has mentioned where they did undergrad or their majors and I think it makes a huge difference in stamina and preparation for the over all journey. Sometimes things happen and just don't work out even if you went to an Ivy League but I think that person would do well given the opportunity by second chance schools like this one. The fact that you got your MD is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud. You comment is the only slightly positive comment on the thread It doesn't seem like you really would or wouldn't recommend

If you really want to be a doctor and attending a US med school is not possible (financially, grades, etc), then St. James does give you the opportunity to reach your goal. It's hard. I don't lie to people when they ask me about my experience- it wasn't fun! If there is one thing I've learned, it's not to listen to negative energy. I was a B,C student in undergrad, got my bachelors in the liberal arts from a state university. i literally dedicated 4.5 years to medical school. I studied for hours each day for months for the USMLE exams. I didn't party or go out on weekends. I needed zero drama and distraction. I even listened to pathology in my car. It can be done.

If you really want to be a doctor and attending a US med school is not possible (financially, grades, etc), then St. James does give you the opportunity to reach your goal...

That's what all the schools say. It's another way of saying give us your money and you can pretend you're going to become a doctor one day.

Nobody on this forum will apply to St. James Medical School. This forum is really for those people considering SGU and maybe Ross. You're better off going on to ValueMD with that sales pitch.

Why is this thread even around... this is like 3 years old. :yawn: