Salaries for Psychological Assistants!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graduatingsoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I am in a clinical psychology PhD program starting internship soon. Instead of applying for formal post-doc training, I was thinking of working as a psychological assistant under another psychologists licensure for 1 year after internship because i would like to work flexible hours and start a private practice in psychotherapy and some assessment. I don't really see myself working in a hospital long-term. Can anyone who was a psych assistant give me some information about salary ranges for psychological assistants ideally in the state of California???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone:

I am in a clinical psychology PhD program starting internship soon. Instead of applying for formal post-doc training, I was thinking of working as a psychological assistant under another psychologists licensure for 1 year after internship because i would like to work flexible hours and start a private practice in psychotherapy and some assessment. I don't really see myself working in a hospital long-term. Can anyone who was a psych assistant give me some information about salary ranges for psychological assistants ideally in the state of California???

I'm a current PA. You earn 50-70% of what you bring in, which depends on how many clients you happen to get. There are generally no salaries or hourly wages; like I said- you take a percentage.

I happen to work for a very busy analyst who has alot of business for me. You need to assess how many referrals you can get and how the money is split. IN general, its a good gig to have and is a way to parlay into PP.

I earn a pretty good income based on the hours I work. When I'm working 30-40 hours in a few more months I'll be on track for 60k while I'm splitting fees at 50/50.

That's great. I have only heard of people not able to make it as a PA.

How did you find out about this analyst? How did you know you were going to get enough referrals when you committed to working with him?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great. I have only heard of people not able to make it as a PA.

How did you find out about this analyst? How did you know you were going to get enough referrals when you committed to working with him?

Previous professor and I'm involved in the psychoanalytic institute in various ways, something you should consider.

I did not know if I would be able to make it when I signed up and the contract is not binding, so I do not have to stay in a legal sense. Ethically I have obligations to patients as far as I'm concerned.

The income is not consistent. I make lots of money at points when the insurance comes in and then there are weeks where it's bone dry. Once I start working more this should become more consistent.

I really get most of my referrals from my supervisor. I get some from psychology today online profile & some from the community. If you sign up to work for someone who is not hella busy and popular with the community my prediction is that it will be very tough to make a living.

You've gotta be hungry and willing to work any and all hours that come your way. Some days I see patients until 9pm.

I think it varies widely. I was a PA in NC for 8 years before coming back for my doctorate. I worked for the state and was making mid-50's (salaried) by the time I left. I did do some CMHC work as well and typically made $50 an hour (direct client contact) for that.