Salaries post-fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tell us how much you make ?

400k including call pay, urology, high cost of living area, HMO practice. tiered pay pgy style, up to 400k base after a couple years and people average about 60k in overtime/call pay so prbly max out btwn 450-500k

Members don't see this ad.

400k including call pay, urology, high cost of living area, HMO practice. tiered pay pgy style, up to 400k base after a couple years and people average about 60k in overtime/call pay so prbly max out btwn 450-500k

That's is pretty impressive, knock on wood, ok in terms of wRVU can you tell us

That's is pretty impressive, knock on wood, ok in terms of wRVU can you tell us

No idea - i'm not RVU based. I don't do the wRVU / RVU mental masturbation. I just take care of patients and try to do the right thing

Just watch how fast your reimbursement goes down.

I hope we changed your mind. Now we've got you talking about pay and pay structure. This is the whole point. Don't hide underneath a tin hat in self-shame with the belief that your reimbursement will go down because you posted a medscape graphic of how much physicians make.

Don't cover your ears or hide under a rock when it comes to talking salary and contracts. Gone are the days of the 20th century where it was taboo to talk about pay.

Physicians need to talk about how much we make. We need to discuss it freely with our colleagues so that we're ALL compensated fairly for where we are and what we do, and so that we can make informed decisions about where and with whom we wish to practice.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I keep wanting to write it but I feel like I might be jinxing my self or the practice or offending or making others sad.

Any idea on GI Hospitalist (7on/7off) pay for Southern region?

Any idea on GI Hospitalist (7on/7off) pay for Southern region?
if you do ERCP, 500k, if no, then 450k minimum(for private practice)
make sure to get RVU pay above 450k if you produce more

Reactions: 2 users
So, I just matched and all this talk of RVU is very new to me. I know it’s basically the procedures you do, and I’m 3 years or so away from worrying about them, but is there a specific guide you guys used to get info on this stuff? I’d like to get a better understanding, although tbh it may still be too early at this time.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I just matched and all this talk of RVU is very new to me. I know it’s basically the procedures you do, and I’m 3 years or so away from worrying about them, but is there a specific guide you guys used to get info on this stuff? I’d like to get a better understanding, although tbh it may still be too early at this time.
FINISH
FELLOWSHIP
FIRST
you are too early for RVU

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Haha wow. I thought I was bad looking at jobs when I was a first year fellow but you’re asking about rvu on match day!

Reactions: 2 users

WOW, wait till you learn about level 5 codes and triple procedures induced with a modifier -51 to add to one of them and NP wRVU supervision.

Way the go though, on match day thinking of the wRVU. I am just so impressed I do not know what to say, as if I just saw this now

PGY6 starting next week and looking for first attending job in the Northeast HLOC city.

I wonder if anyone knows whether GI salaries have gone up in the last few yrs given so many GI ppl have left practice? I know for academics it has, but I'm not sure about private/community employed

PGY6 starting next week and looking for first attending job in the Northeast HLOC city.

I wonder if anyone knows whether GI salaries have gone up in the last few yrs given so many GI ppl have left practice? I know for academics it has, but I'm not sure about private/community employed
it has not gone up much. GI reimbursement slashed by 4% recently. the trend will be salaries will be stagnant or even go down

That's really a bummer. Considering that most non-physicians in healthcare are making more money (and a lot of other industries for that matter).

What's the best resource to follow up with ongoing reimbursement rates? ACG or ASGE? AGA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone recommend a good resource for endoscopy billing? I don't want to leave deserved money on the table due to under coding and poor billing practice

Can someone recommend a good resource for endoscopy billing? I don't want to leave deserved money on the table due to under coding and poor billing practice
AGA coding corner
Has nice primer

Dr Dan Raines, chief at LSU had a very nice billing coding lecture on ACG universe that is very helpful when starting practice and would highly recommend

Reactions: 1 user
The link isn't working unfortunately, can you repost it? :)

Anyone have an idea on a median rvu for a gastroenterologist? Hard to wrap my head on what contracts/offers are fair or not

Would anyone here happen to know more information about salary prospects for large groups in Texas? Referring to that large one based in DFW. I understand they start you off salary based with production for the first 2 years and then partnership buy in. Appreciate any information.

The link isn't working unfortunately, can you repost it? :)

Anyone have an idea on a median rvu for a gastroenterologist? Hard to wrap my head on what contracts/offers are fair or not
It's different by region. Nationally it decreased to a little more than 7k nationally due to covid but over multiple years average nationally is around 8k

Would anyone here happen to know more information about salary prospects for large groups in Texas? Referring to that large one based in DFW. I understand they start you off salary based with production for the first 2 years and then partnership buy in. Appreciate any information.
If talking about TDDC which is part of GI alliance now, then they will pay fair market for everyone, again it floats year by year but still returns to median, around 450k-ish for around 8k-ish RVU has been approximate fair market if starting out in busy metro, but higher when away from population dense areas if on outskirts or if experienced

If talking about TDDC which is part of GI alliance now, then they will pay fair market for everyone, again it floats year by year but still returns to median, around 450k-ish for around 8k-ish RVU has been approximate fair market if starting out in busy metro, but higher when away from population dense areas if on outskirts or if experienced
Thanks! Any idea what partners make? They mention a lot regarding buying their stock etc which has doubled. Trying to compare working for them in a larger city vs a PP group in a more rural part of texas. Wondering if I would just be another cog in the wheel at GI alliance

Thanks! Any idea what partners make? They mention a lot regarding buying their stock etc which has doubled. Trying to compare working for them in a larger city vs a PP group in a more rural part of texas. Wondering if I would just be another cog in the wheel at GI alliance
I don't know what they currently make.
Regretfully, I dont have an insiders view to speak with authority, or crystal ball to forecast with accuracy.
Private equity has been sort of a hate love relationship I've seen in others closer to it, with pros and cons like any opportunity.
The pros are is you will have as steady of a job there is and won't have to worry about taking a hit in a recession and seemingly never ending pandemic that has dealt blow after blow to smaller independent groups which are becoming more rare and rare because they cannot survive the increasing regulations and downward pressure of reimbursement and ever increasing supply, labor costs, and overhead, nor the never ending renegotiations with payors, that your alliance can stand firm in the face of payors and leverage reimbursement rates. Because you are dealing with a behemoth, you know the deal you are being offered is the same one to the other 530 GI grads this year.
The cons are a sizeable chunk of your salary gets diverted if you want any meaningful holdings/shares. Hopefully it won't sell off while you are still investing. (See gastrohealth last year that sold off after 5 years for over 900 million dollars. I'm not so sure about those first year attendings who shaved off a big portion of starting salary to get some of action but unclear if they were vested or not a time of the second bite). It still has private equity backing whose only goal is to maximize return of investment. And if that means using a loaner scope that won't retroflex because its cheaper to use a third party vendor that salvages parts instead of Olympus to fix a dud scope.
None of this is specific to gi alliance at all, which I am not referencing here because it'll happen at the employed hospital position or wherever you are, but just highly recommend really intense soul searching and probe as deep and wide as you can with current GIs there. No rural practice is immune to P.E. advances, as acquisitions are only intensifying. If you time it right, could be a big payoff.
Will Maud Capital sell off it's interest as well and if so how soon? 2023 would be 5 years. I don't have a positive or negative view of it all, more of an agnostic view. Wish could be of more help, but If do more digging you'll get the answers you're looking for. Good luck.

I don't know what they currently make.
Regretfully, I dont have an insiders view to speak with authority, or crystal ball to forecast with accuracy.
Private equity has been sort of a hate love relationship I've seen in others closer to it, with pros and cons like any opportunity.
The pros are is you will have as steady of a job there is and won't have to worry about taking a hit in a recession and seemingly never ending pandemic that has dealt blow after blow to smaller independent groups which are becoming more rare and rare because they cannot survive the increasing regulations and downward pressure of reimbursement and ever increasing supply, labor costs, and overhead, nor the never ending renegotiations with payors, that your alliance can stand firm in the face of payors and leverage reimbursement rates. Because you are dealing with a behemoth, you know the deal you are being offered is the same one to the other 530 GI grads this year.
The cons are a sizeable chunk of your salary gets diverted if you want any meaningful holdings/shares. Hopefully it won't sell off while you are still investing. (See gastrohealth last year that sold off after 5 years for over 900 million dollars. I'm not so sure about those first year attendings who shaved off a big portion of starting salary to get some of action but unclear if they were vested or not a time of the second bite). It still has private equity backing whose only goal is to maximize return of investment. And if that means using a loaner scope that won't retroflex because its cheaper to use a third party vendor that salvages parts instead of Olympus to fix a dud scope.
None of this is specific to gi alliance at all, which I am not referencing here because it'll happen at the employed hospital position or wherever you are, but just highly recommend really intense soul searching and probe as deep and wide as you can with current GIs there. No rural practice is immune to P.E. advances, as acquisitions are only intensifying. If you time it right, could be a big payoff.
Will Maud Capital sell off it's interest as well and if so how soon? 2023 would be 5 years. I don't have a positive or negative view of it all, more of an agnostic view. Wish could be of more help, but If do more digging you'll get the answers you're looking for. Good luck.
Really appreciate that reply!

In general, when a private equity group sells their stake, do they sell it to another firm or does the group return to business as it was before?
Point is to sell it to another buyer after several years for a considerable gain and return. IE., gastrohealth was owned by Audax for 5 years until it was sold to Omers last year. Everyone invested stands to make a big gain if it's done right. Usual equation. Just a different master. Aggressively have the "business" Spend less, make more. Hopefully our overlords are somewhat benevolent, no matter if P.E or employed. Good luck