Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your yearly compensation? Include additional guaranteeds excluding benefits.

• <$150,000

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • $150-159,000

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • $160-169,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $170-179,000

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • $180-189,000

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • $190-199,000

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • $200-209,000

• $210-219,000

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • $220-229,000

• $230,000+

Votes: 33 63.5%

• Total voters

Bacchus

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
See poll. Results are anonymous. People are wondering what others are making. Guaranteeds could be practice lead stipend, retention bonus, holiday bonus, etc. Don't include unknowns such as production bonus/quality bonuses which often require performance calculations.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Not putting in my salary until the numbers are corrected.

If you want to nail it down to $10K increments, why not do a second poll for the $230K+ group that's similarly incremental?

you think he should have in the poll

<150k
150k-199,999
200k-249,999
250k-299,999
300k-349,999
350k-399,999
>400k
much more realistic

I would start with <200K and go up from there. My base with benefits and incentives is 272K which does not include RVU bonuses or my locums on the side.

Last edited:
I'm a 3rd year resident graduating resident and I signed with a private physician group, I won't give any info that could give it away or get me in trouble.. But here's essentially what I signed

Salary: 185K base salary + keep 70% anything I earn over what (until i become partner in 2 years then it's 100%)
Signing bonus: 20K
Hours: 33 hours a week

They showed me a sheet of all the expenses / earnings / etc for each physician in this practice and they are all hovering around 250K with 35 hours a week seeing patients

Hope this helps

I'm a 3rd year resident graduating resident and I signed with a private physician group, I won't give any info that could give it away or get me in trouble.. But here's essentially what I signed

Salary: 185K base salary + keep 70% anything I earn over what (until i become partner in 2 years then it's 100%)

They showed me a sheet of all the expenses / earnings / etc for each physician in this practice and they are all hovering around 250K with 35 hours a week seeing patients

Hope this helps
Are you in a more rural area?

This deal sounds amazing. Is this typical for a family med physician without living in the middle of nowhere? I assume that holidays and a couple weeks of vacation are also part of the deal.

Base is lower than avg, but certainly good income potential (when RVU based generally get maybe 45-50% when in “bonus territory”, so a 100% is nice). I wonder what RVU/total billings those guys who are hitting 250k are? What are their volumes? Outpt only? I suspect if working 33hr/wk (probably working 4d/wk +/- half day Friday) - need decent volumes (if RVU based) and payors (if based on total billed), 17-20 minimum to hit the amounts that get into the 60-70k “bonus” - 250k with accurate billing (not undercoding) and good payors (total bill).

Just my experience as a new attending

Base is lower than avg, but certainly good income potential (when RVU based generally get maybe 45-50% when in “bonus territory”, so a 100% is nice). I wonder what RVU/total billings those guys who are hitting 250k are? What are their volumes? Outpt only? I suspect if working 33hr/wk (probably working 4d/wk +/- half day Friday) - need decent volumes (if RVU based) and payors (if based on total billed), 17-20 minimum to hit the amounts that get into the 60-70k “bonus” - 250k with accurate billing (not undercoding) and good payors (total bill).

Just my experience as a new attending
Using RVUs, hitting 250k is 6250 wRVUs assuming the nationwide median of $40/wRVU. Assuming a 4.5 day work week (which is what that post described) and a 46 week year (basically 6 weeks but including holidays in that), you end up needing 30 wRVUs/day. If you're averaging 1.25 wRVUs per patient, that's 24 patients. My billing is closer to 1.4 per patient so more like 21-22 patients/day. If you schedule 20 minute visits and 2-3 40 minute physicals, you'll hit that with a fairly easy schedule (most offices use 15 minute visits and 30 minute physicals, which means you can have several open slots and still hit that RVU target).

That number is likely lower if its pure collections, assuming a halfway decent payer mix.

Reactions: 1 user
Using RVUs, hitting 250k is 6250 wRVUs assuming the nationwide median of $40/wRVU. Assuming a 4.5 day work week (which is what that post described) and a 46 week year (basically 6 weeks but including holidays in that), you end up needing 30 wRVUs/day. If you're averaging 1.25 wRVUs per patient, that's 24 patients. My billing is closer to 1.4 per patient so more like 21-22 patients/day. If you schedule 20 minute visits and 2-3 40 minute physicals, you'll hit that with a fairly easy schedule (most offices use 15 minute visits and 30 minute physicals, which means you can have several open slots and still hit that RVU target).

That number is likely lower if its pure collections, assuming a halfway decent payer mix.
Agree - my point being hitting 20+ pt/d right out of the gate is a challenge - Even with overflow from partners. Unless the area is in extreme demand for providers (really in demand not just from a practice managers perspective) or someone’s office just closed in the area, you’re going to have a tough time hitting those numbers in the first 6months of working (maybe even longer).

I have two providers I get overflow from, and seeing new pts - at the end of 2017 my pt avg was around 15/d with 1.4 RVU avg - start of jan it dropped down 2/2 deductions resetting and the weather. One guy just closed up shop near me and another is rumored to be “winding down”. I’m in my 4th month of practicing - supplementing my RVUs with inpt and TCMs, but it will be close to hit my bonus this year (not impossible). Luckily I can supplement with moonlighting, which is like a bonus.

Once you have the volumes, the amount you make is based off of how much you want to work. Early/at the start, your employer loses money on you especially when your volumes are on the lighter side.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in downtown Columbus, OH and the practice I signed with is in one of the suburbs so I'm not moving from my apartment complex.

- Practice is open till 7pm - so i work 5 days a week either 8am-1pm or 1pm-7pm and weekend call is every 8 weeks.
- 20 days of PTO - this is in addition to days the office is closed which obviously is regular holidays
- Provide Health insurance, malpractice, retirement match up to certain %
- $2500 toward CME every year
- Etc.

As for the patient population I believe they don't see many (if any) medicaid patients and i know a overwhelming majority of patients have private insurance..Again, I'm still a resident and not fully versed in calculating returns haha

After the 2 year contract is up - I become partner - become production based and get pieces of money from the business (labs, building, imaging, etc)

I love family medicine and the life balance that it provides. I feel physically healthy and living a full life!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Hope this helps

Hey, I just came across your post from 2 years ago. I was wondering in what sort of setting this position was offered? Rural, academic, metropolitan, etc.? Also, are you a partner now? What has the experience been like and are you happy you took the job?