You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Salary at FQHC?
Started by StayOnTop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Looking to join a FQHC in the midwest with salary significantly below $200K. Is this normal?
How far below $200K? Urban or rural? Full time or part time?
Looking to join a FQHC in the midwest with salary significantly below $200K. Is this normal?
If you’re looking at an FQHC in Chicago or Dallas, full time, and you’re fresh out of residency, $185K+ would be normal. (Not much below that, though).
If you’re looking at a rural FQHC, or you have several years as attending experience, I would expect the salary to break the 200K mark, though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's urban, and I'm being quoted much lower than 185KIf you’re looking at an FQHC in Chicago or Dallas, full time, and you’re fresh out of residency, $185K+ would be normal. (Not much below that, though).
If you’re looking at a rural FQHC, or you have several years as attending experience, I would expect the salary to break the 200K mark, though.
It's urban, and I'm being quoted much lower than 185K
I also just realized that, based on your previous posts, that you are psych, not family medicine. Then even 185K is too low for psych.
That’s pretty bad.
That sounds like they’re really wanting to hire a “Psych NP” but just haven’t convinced one of the higher ups that they “can’t find a doctor to take the position” yet.It's urban, and I'm being quoted much lower than 185K
That sounds like they’re really wanting to hire a “Psych NP” but just haven’t convinced one of the higher ups that they “can’t find a doctor to take the position” yet.
Eh, honestly, there generally isn't that level of thought in the hiring process. Plus, the "higher up" structure at most FQHCs is quite small and streamlined. These are not big organizations, so the CEO is frequently very closely involved in the hiring process.
They probably really do need a psychiatry physician, as they probably have LCSWs that require physician oversight as well. Best case scenario, they're either unaware of how much most psychiatrists get paid, or are hoping that an NHSC scholar really really needs a job in that metro area very badly. Worst case scenario is that they are so financially mismanaged that this is the best that they can offer, but they've committed to offering mental health services in their federal grant, so they can't not have a psychiatrist on staff.
It's urban, and I'm being quoted much lower than 185K
FYI, most FQHCs have to have their tax returns posted online as a matter of public record. You can google them and generally see exactly what their CEO, COO, CFO, and CMO are making. It should give you an idea if they're ALL underpaid or if they're just lowballing you.
That being said, if you have other options, I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere.
Why? you are not board certified? Then that is normal..Looking to join a FQHC in the midwest with salary significantly below $200K. Is this normal?
If you are looking at loan forgiveness, guess the forgiveness comes with a price.. its not really forgiven
I know family NP's that are making 130's... your degree is worth so much more.That sounds like they’re really wanting to hire a “Psych NP” but just haven’t convinced one of the higher ups that they “can’t find a doctor to take the position” yet.
It's urban, and I'm being quoted much lower than 185K
FQHCs can pay more. They're low balling.
I'm not psych or FM/IM but do OBGyn/urogyn for a FQHC.
~40 hours a week. No call.
Will make ~$400k.
General OBGyns in the organization are making ~$325k. Same hours. No call.
No. For fulltime, even for FM you should make more than $200k, and I would consider anything less than $175k just an insult. My training institution, which was one large academic center that does not pay well pays better than that. If you are Psych, you absolutely should be making more than $200k. That part does vary though, because I have seen anything from $220k-$350k for that.Looking to join a FQHC in the midwest with salary significantly below $200K. Is this normal?
With how psych salaries are trending and the easy opportunity to side hustle, I would never put myself through the indentured servitude that is FQHC.
Graduate, sign on somewhere for a slamming salary, side hustle if necessary and get your loans done.
Graduate, sign on somewhere for a slamming salary, side hustle if necessary and get your loans done.
Looking to join a FQHC in the midwest with salary significantly below $200K. Is this normal?
You shouldn't entertain anything below $250K in the Midwest. You're playing yourself if you accept any lower.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's very low. Every one that I saw was 250+ and paid like 20 grand a year loan replacement.
I interviewed for a psychiatry position for an FQHC in the midwest as well. Discussed numbers and told the guy I was seeing other offers in the 250-300 range and he said that is the range they are offering. This job is an absolute insult if they think they can hire a psychiatrist at less than 200K and absolutely ridiculous if they think they can pay much lower than 185K. That's just absurd. Most psychiatrist are making much more than that. Ended up taking a job further south that with bonus structure and everything, most psychs are making 3-400K, some are making more than that even though I'm not working for an FQHC now.It's urban, and I'm being quoted much lower than 185K
I interviewed at a FQHC as a new grad NHSC scholar in 2010 and their opening offer was $200k. It sounds like an insulting offer. Maybe not well-run?
Came from an FHQC with a $275,000/yr plus loan forgiveness and a $150,000 sign on bonus in California. That is too low.
Even for a family doc, in current year, this is insulting af. I would block their number and look elsewhere.Looking to join a FQHC in the midwest with salary significantly below $200K. Is this normal?
Tell them to take a hike.I interviewed at a FQHC as a new grad NHSC scholar in 2010 and their opening offer was $200k. It sounds like an insulting offer. Maybe not well-run?
For reference, a recent offer from a smaller city FQHC (psychiatrist position all outpatient) recently offered 306,000/year for 32 patients hours per week. Benefits were kind of expensive if covering both employee and family, probably made it closer to a 295K salary elsewhere with better benefits.
I agree with the above poster, they are looking for an NP to take this job and will probably try to pay them 120-140K.
Median salary survey data for full time psych is 250K to 320K roughly.
Some urban markets seem to get away with these lower salaries though. Especially NYC/Manhattan because so many MDs want to live there. I assume the doctors taking these low paying jobs are married to someone in tech making big bucks.
I agree with the above poster, they are looking for an NP to take this job and will probably try to pay them 120-140K.
Median salary survey data for full time psych is 250K to 320K roughly.
Some urban markets seem to get away with these lower salaries though. Especially NYC/Manhattan because so many MDs want to live there. I assume the doctors taking these low paying jobs are married to someone in tech making big bucks.
In 2010 that was a pretty good offer. I graduated residency in 2013 and no one was getting starting pay at 200k except the people that went very rural.I interviewed at a FQHC as a new grad NHSC scholar in 2010 and their opening offer was $200k. It sounds like an insulting offer. Maybe not well-run?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 8K